Static IP setup

ZcanKal

Hi, I have a Cisco LinkSYS WRT150N router that I picked up from Goodwill, and I have quite the interesting setup in order to give it internet:
1. have a wireless extender with an ethernet port extending my internet from upstairs.
2. plug a 100 foot ethernet cable from the extender to the Cisco router.

3. plug a shorter ethernet cable into the router.
4. plug the short cable into pc.

What i'm wondering is, how do I set up a static IP on this?  I'm relatively new to setting up this sort of stuff. (if you're wondering, no I can't get into my upstairs router, it's setup can't be accessed.)

50 minutes ago, ZcanKal said:

Hi, I have a Cisco LinkSYS WRT150N router that I picked up from Goodwill, and I have quite the interesting setup in order to give it internet:
1. have a wireless extender with an ethernet port extending my internet from upstairs.
2. plug a 100 foot ethernet cable from the extender to the Cisco router.

3. plug a shorter ethernet cable into the router.
4. plug the short cable into pc.

What i'm wondering is, how do I set up a static IP on this?  I'm relatively new to setting up this sort of stuff. (if you're wondering, no I can't get into my upstairs router, it's setup can't be accessed.)

You first install firmware that isn't absolute garbage onto the router, as per the instructions below.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT150N_%26_WRT160N

Once you have DD-WRT installed, you can then follow their Wiki to learn about Static DHCP setup.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Static_DHCP

Bear in mind that networking is a complicated beast no matter what hardware or firmware you're running, but if you have enough time and perseverance to learn the ins and outs you'll be able to configure things like port forwarding, wireless or wired bridging, and even VLAN setup should you need it.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Dd-wrt will allow you to put the router in wireless bridging mode and get rid of that mess. Really fun to play with. 

As for static addressing are you talking about for a host or for your public ip? For a host you need to disable dhcp on the second router. Go on to the first router and set aside a pool of addresses for static addressing. Go into settings on the host and assign one of the addresses from your pool.