[SOLVED] I am so confused about this issue, need ANY suggestions!

bANONYMOUS

Okay, I don't even know where to begin, I'll try to keep this short, but, it's a mess of a problem.

My gaming PC runs 24/7 because I also have my security camera's running off of it, so when I was out of town over the weekend, came back, computer was off, found out most of the city had a power surge while I was out of town.

Turn the computer on, no dice, check surge protector, fried.

Bought a new surge protector, computer booted right up, no issues, start playing music, gaming, computer locks up, nothing responds, but the weird part is the music continued to play, so I just left it for a few minutes waiting for it to figure itself out, nothing ever came back to life but the music continued to stream from SoundCloud like nothing was wrong.

Rebooted computer, booted again, about to start AIDA64 to stress test to see if something is overheating, and it locked up again while AIDA64 was booting, hard shut down.. again.. booted to the desktop and locked up before Steam even finished doing it's "update" on boot. Tried again, now it locks up before it's even getting to the logon screen.

Ripped the computer apart, cleaned everything, it was already very clean, very very mild dust, went as far as replacing thermal compound on the CPU and GPU with Arctic Silver 5, booted back up, ran great, again for about 5 minutes, and locked up, rebooted and it locked up faster and faster every time I rebooted, so confirmed either heat or power issue.

So given my computer came with a GTX 1050 and I upgraded to a GTX 1070, I figured maybe I should get something a little more than the stock 450w PSU it came with, no avail, tossed in a 1000w PSU and same issues.

So now I'm leaning towards GPU issue, this is were it gets weird and I can't understand what's going on.

Checked Device Manager, GTX 1070 has an exclamation mark over it, check the Nvidia website, GPU driver is very.. very.. out of date. Download the latest, try to install, fails to install telling me it's not the correct version for this copy of windows?

Windows 10 64-bit Pro, downloaded the GTX 1070 driver for Windows 10 64-bit pro, I don't understand how it thinks it's the wrong version of that driver, but sure.

Tried to roll back the driver, fails to roll back, deleted the driver entirely, manually installed through Device Manager using the extracted Nvidia files from the installer, finds the driver, installs fine, reboot the computer, now it hangs on the Windows 10 loading screen (spinning dots before logon screen)

So I took out the GTX 1070, tossed the factory 1050 back in that I had in a box in my closet, same issues entirely, so GPU did not matter at all.

Tried my really old R9 370 from the computer I had before this one, and everything works perfect without a single issue, AMD Radeon driver installs without issue, everything works, no lock ups..

Does anyone have any idea why out of absolutely no where, the Nvidia Drivers suddenly don't work at all, refuse to install, and tell me my copy of windows isn't the correct copy for the driver? I can't even downgrade the driver to an old one without it failing.

I currently have the R9 370 in there right now, going to back up all my crap and do a fresh install to see if it's something Windows related, however I did just do a fresh install as soon as Build 1809 was released, and currently all drivers and updates are done so this is a fresh install as of only a few weeks ago.

Does anyone think this is a Windows 1809 or Nvidia issue? I've heard bad things about 1809 deleting user files when installed through an update (why I did a fresh install from USB installer) but now this is happening not even a month later and I'm not sure if it's just a really weird instance that it just happens right after a power surge, or if it's related to such 1809 issues, or the 4xx Nvidia drivers compatibility?

I'm so confused, I've been working on this for 3 days now and can't wrap my head around it. Heeeelllpppppp lol

Desktop: CASE: NZXT H510 Elite CPU: Intel i9-9900K RAM: 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro GPU: 11GB EVGA FTW3 1080ti NVMe: 3x1TB  XPG Gammix S11 HDD: 1x8TB Barracuda PSU: HX1200 OS: Windows 10 Pro b19043
Laptop: CASE: Asus Zephyrus Duo CPU: Intel i7-10875H RAM: 32GB SSD: 2x Samsung 1TB NVMe RAID 0 OS: Pop_OS 20.04 LTS

Mobile: MODEL: Galaxy S21 Ultra  SSD: 128GB RAM: 12GB OS: Unlocked One UI 3.1 Android 11

Mobile: MODEL: Nubia Red Magic 5G SSD: 256GB RAM: 12GB OS: Rooted RM5S Android 11

It's VERY coincidental to me that all this happened immediately after a power surge that killed the surge protector. Sounds to me like you have a problem with one (or more) of your components. 

Take out the GPU entirely and see what happens. (assuming you have some other kind of display output) Otherwise, it's probably the first or second thing the power would hit; Your motherboard or the CPU.

The only way to check that is to put in another one of each and see if the problem persists. Once you find out what's wrong though, check the surge protector's warranty. Most of them will cover damage to equipment resulting from surge protection failure.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

34 minutes ago, bANONYMOUS said:

I'm so confused

If you nVidia ones don't work, and the ATI ones do work, then it seems to me the nVidia ones are bad, or the driver is so hopelessly corrupted as to be the issue.

Pull your main hard drive, through in a spare, with the GFX card you think is good, install fresh, see what happens.

If it behaves, then you have a corrupted OS.

If not, then the card is bad, wipe and try again with the other GFX card.

Report back

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

time for a surge protector and power supply that's actually good, with all the protections.

It's hard to say what's fine and what's not from a power surge  The storage drive could take a blow and blow your data to pieces. The CPU could have degraded by that shock and no longer stable at that voltage. The motherboard could be the one cutting out etc.

Try format the system drive first, reinstall things and see if it works fine.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

On 10/13/2018 at 2:45 PM, Radium_Angel said:

If you nVidia ones don't work, and the ATI ones do work, then it seems to me the nVidia ones are bad, or the driver is so hopelessly corrupted as to be the issue.

Well the GTX 1050 is the original card from the computer when I got it that's been working perfectly without issue, I just wanted the 1070 for better gaming performance, so the 1050 was known working fully when pulled and stored in the 1070 box in my closet, yet both 1050 and 1070 are not working so I've run it down to either a driver/OS or motherboard issue. I updated to Windows 19H1 just to see if running a very beta release of Windows would solve anything and now the 1050 is working but the 1070 still shows tons of errors and locks up at random points. Nvidia Drivers are still telling me I'm trying to install them on the wrong version of windows.

On 10/13/2018 at 2:50 PM, Jurrunio said:

time for a surge protector and power supply that's actually good, with all the protections.

Try format the system drive first, reinstall things and see if it works fine.

I have a surge protector, has ethernet passthrough and everything, the power outage fried it so I had to buy another one, so the entire system was "protected" but I'm not sure if it was protected enough or if this is just bad timing and completely unrelated if this turns out to be a Windows 1809 issue with the new Nvidia drivers since RTX release.

I'm going to wipe it and try again on 1803 to see what happens when I update to 1809 just to see if I can recreate the issue, but so far 19H1 is working with the 1050 so currently the Skip Ahead access of Windows 10 is turning out to be the most stable for me with the new Nvidia drivers so as of right now, I can at least do some video editing until I figure this out to get the 1070 working and I can start gaming again.. I just bought Forza Horizon 4.. I just wanna play it so bad lol

Thanks for the help so far, I'm waiting for it to install 1803 now and I'll report back to the status of 1803 once the install is done and I have the drivers installed. If everything is working, I'm blaming 1809, I'll still upgrade to 1809 to see if I can repeat the issue just for diagnostics purpose if anyone else encounters this thread with similar issues, and honestly I might stay on 19H1 seeing as how stable this is and with all of the new graphical additions they've added, eye candy is on point with this build haha

Desktop: CASE: NZXT H510 Elite CPU: Intel i9-9900K RAM: 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro GPU: 11GB EVGA FTW3 1080ti NVMe: 3x1TB  XPG Gammix S11 HDD: 1x8TB Barracuda PSU: HX1200 OS: Windows 10 Pro b19043
Laptop: CASE: Asus Zephyrus Duo CPU: Intel i7-10875H RAM: 32GB SSD: 2x Samsung 1TB NVMe RAID 0 OS: Pop_OS 20.04 LTS

Mobile: MODEL: Galaxy S21 Ultra  SSD: 128GB RAM: 12GB OS: Unlocked One UI 3.1 Android 11

Mobile: MODEL: Nubia Red Magic 5G SSD: 256GB RAM: 12GB OS: Rooted RM5S Android 11

It was the Windows 10 1809 update that dicked everything. I installed 1803, everything works fine, update to 1809 and the latest Nvidia driver refuses to install, clean install to 1809 and everything works, update to 19h1 from 1809 clean and everything works fine, clean install of 19h1 also has everything working fine with a lot of a new eye candy and with the current build, I've faced zero issues so I'm going to keep running this skip ring beta, the eye candy is subtle but nice, seems to have really good performance even with visual effects all activated.

So, conclusion, if anyone else is having this issue, and you recently upgraded from Windows 10 1803 to 1809, it's the update that dicks everything. You need to either do a clean install of 1809, or run the update from 1803 directly to 19h1 beta (skipping 1809 completely), all through I don't recommend going to the beta unless you are prepared for anything to happen. I personally have everything backed up to a NAS so I can wipe my computer at free will, so running into harsh error's isn't mission critical for me, which is why I'm choosing to stay on 19H1, test some new features, see how things are progressing, provide Microsoft with feedback, etc.

Hope this helps anyone else, I'm glad I'm back up and running on my gaming rig, it was a dark few days without Forza haha