Samsung Magician Secure Erase SSD?

CC268

Does Secure Erase (via Samsung Magician) cause any sort of drive degradation?

Thanks!

| Intel i5-6600K | NZXT Kraken X61 | MSI GTX 980TI | NZXT Kraken X41 | ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Hero Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 16GB | 

|Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W | Fractal Design Define S |

probably. its technically writing to the ssd. this will cause wear but dont worry about it. it should be insignificant. modern ssd's can handle 40GB of transfer for 5+ years with no problem. I would assume a drive wipe would take the capacity off its lifespan. (yes, ssd's will die eventually)

2 hours ago, saksham said:

probably. its technically writing to the ssd. this will cause wear but dont worry about it. it should be insignificant. modern ssd's can handle 40GB of transfer for 5+ years with no problem. I would assume a drive wipe would take the capacity off its lifespan. (yes, ssd's will die eventually)

Not exactly. Secure Erase sends a voltage pulse to the cells that resets them to an empty state. This cause considerably less write wear than conventional wiping and is more effective. I've used Magician's Secure Erase on Samsung 850 EVOs and the change in remaining write life was too slight to show up.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!