Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do I need a mobile workstation?

Hello everyone!

Last year I bought myself rather powerful laptop (HP Pavilion Power 15-cb011ur: core i7-7700HQ, GTX 1050 4Gb, SSD - 128 Gb, HDD - 1 Tb, Windows 10). I had choosen this model because of low price and because of what I need in PC. Unfortunately, there are some annoying problems with stability work of this HP (not just in my case, other people have similar problems too). I had gave this laptop to service center twice, but it didn't lead to success. So I want to change this PC.

I have a deal with some engineering / scientific programs, calculations, coding and modeling. Sometimes I game in computer games that not very demanding for GPU (Skyrim is a maximum) - it's not priority for me. I need high performance CPU, entry level GPU (such as GTX 1050, 1050ti, Quadro P1000, P2000) because i don't have a deal with complex 3D-modeling (but simple cases can occur). Ofcourse, I need a good cooling system and stability of working! Good battery and solid case are need too. Yes, I need exactly laptop. Lenovo ThinkPad P-series (now it's P52) and Dell Precision 75xx-series (now it's 7530) were always interesting for me, but have rather high price. Intel Core i7-8750H and NVIDIA Quadro P1000 are good for me, I think.

So the question is does a workstations (such as ThinkPad P52 or Precision 7530) provide more stability and reliability of working compared to usual consumers laptops?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

not really. a laptop with good reviews is more important than whether it's a workstation

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Snomstor said:

Hello everyone!

Last year I bought myself rather powerful laptop (HP Pavilion Power 15-cb011ur: core i7-7700HQ, GTX 1050 4Gb, SSD - 128 Gb, HDD - 1 Tb, Windows 10). I had choosen this model because of low price and because of what I need in PC. Unfortunately, there are some annoying problems with stability work of this HP (not just in my case, other people have similar problems too). I had gave this laptop to service center twice, but it didn't lead to success. So I want to change this PC.

I have a deal with some engineering / scientific programs, calculations, coding and modeling. Sometimes I game in computer games that not very demanding for GPU (Skyrim is a maximum) - it's not priority for me. I need high performance CPU, entry level GPU (such as GTX 1050, 1050ti, Quadro P1000, P2000) because i don't have a deal with complex 3D-modeling (but simple cases can occur). Ofcourse, I need a good cooling system and stability of working! Good battery and solid case are need too. Yes, I need exactly laptop. Lenovo ThinkPad P-series (now it's P52) and Dell Precision 75xx-series (now it's 7530) were always interesting for me, but have rather high price. Intel Core i7-8750H and NVIDIA Quadro P1000 are good for me, I think.

So the question is does a workstations (such as ThinkPad P52 or Precision 7530) provide more stability and reliability of working compared to usual consumers laptops?

What you need, my red friend, is a lunchbox pc...

http://www.bsicomputer.com/products/portable-lunchbox-computer-1430

 

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had pretty good luck with the MSI Stealth line at work. We have about 15-20 of them in circulation. Sadly the newer models with the 8 series chips are a lot more expensive than the 7 series ones were. But the 7700HQ's with a 256gb M.2 and a 1060 were often around $1500 USD. https://www.amazon.com/GS63VR-Stealth-Notebook-i7-7700HQ-NVIDIA/dp/B079SCFYPF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jurrunio said:

not really. a laptop with good reviews is more important than whether it's a workstation

Yes, it's true, but in most cases ones doesn't talk about stability and reliability of working in a review. Experience of using is need for this. I know that Apple MacBooks works good for simple tasks, but they has not very high performance or not enough effective cooling system, high cost and Mac OS (that doesn't fit my goals).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Snomstor said:

So the question is does a workstations (such as ThinkPad P52 or Precision 7530) provide more stability and reliability of working compared to usual consumers laptops?

Yes. However, do you really need Quadro GPU, best QA+QC etc? Because you'll be paying a huge amount of money

My Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Nvidia RTX3060Ti 8GB PNY XLR8 Gaming Epic-X RGB 16GB (8X2) 3200MHz CL16 Team Group MP33 Pro 1TB
ID-Cooling SE-224-XT White Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX Tecware Forge M2 mATX White Case Montech Century 650W Gold

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Yes. However, do you really need Quadro GPU, best QA+QC etc? Because you'll be paying a huge amount of money

No, I don't need exactly Quadro GPU, but I need some entry level discrete GPU. It's not so expensive. I'm just tired of different bugs...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×