Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NEW PC / Advice / Silent

I have a old thread from some weeks back, but decided to wait for new tech and thus I am making a new thread to debate some new changes and a few extra stuff.

 

1. Budget & Location

My budget is up to 3.3k Euro for the PC and maybe max around 540 euro for a new monitor. (but less will cut it and be very nice for both)

I will not be building the PC myself since it is actually more expenssive for me than getting the shop to do it. Thus there will be a few

limitations of what items you can get, but there is a very large range of hardware to customice.
I might add that I am from Scandinavia and thus prices might be abit higher than IE the US.

 

I might be buying from http://www.komplettgroup.com/en/home/

(They are all listed as Scandinavian sites)

 

2. Aim

 

Silent Gaming/General use occasional streaming - Should last for around 4 years (I know the performance will go down during the end of the life cycle)

I am planning to invest in a 1440p screen.

(Note that I want this to be a silent as possible)

 

3. Monitors

Currently I use a AOC G2460PG

https://eu.aoc.com/en/gaming/products/g2460pg

 

As said above I want to invest in a 1440p monitor.

 

4. Peripherals

 

I will not be needing any since I have everything I need. (I will run win10)

 

5. Why are you upgrading?

My 4 year old PC needs to be changed out (I buy and use PC's for a 3-4 years cycle without upgrading much unless its basic stuff like ram/ssd)

 

My old build consisted off.

 

Case - Fractal Design Defile r6 black pearl

PSU - Cooler Master G650m

MB - Asus z97-k

CPU - I5-4690

Ram - HyperX Fury 1600 mhz

SSD/HDD - Old Kingston SSD and a normal HDD

Cooler - Corsair Hydro H60

GPU - Gigabyte Windforce gtx 770

 

(This build still gets me medium/low medium settings on alot of games with FPS you can live with)

 

 

My new build.

 

Case - Fractal Design Define XL R2 Black Pearl or Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout TG  (Tempered Glass) I don't actually know how much difference there is on the TG edition vs the normal in terms of noise, also size might matter

PSU - Corsair TX750M, 750W PSU ATX 12V v2-4, 80 Plus Gold, Semi Modular, 6+2-pin PCIe
MB - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-H Gaming, S1151 Bundkort, ATX, Z370, DDR4, 3xPCIe-x16, SLI/CFX, USB 3.1, SupremeFX

CPU - i9 9900k "when released" or i7 9700k
Ram - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 16GB KIT 3200Mhz 2x8GB, PC25600/3200Mhz, 16GVBK, CL 16  or Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3200MHz 32GB 2x16GB 3200MHz DDR4 CL16 White
SSD/HDD - Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD M.2 2280, PCIe 3.0 x4, V-NAND MLC, up to 3400/2300MB/s read/write, 300TBW + something for light gaming/simple storage (I have alot of video+pictures)

Cooler - I was suggested a NH-U14S  in the last thread instead of a Noctua NH-U9S - Water cooling is an option as well as long as its not as loud as my current build (its without a doubt the most noisy thing in my current setup)
GPU - MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio Grafikkort, PCI-Express 3.0, 8GB GDDR6, 1515/1860MHz, Turing / Or the Asus Strix 2080 - or a 2080 TI but I think a 2080 TI might be overkill (I am not interested in 10xx series)

 

Monitor - I want a 27" 1 ms 1440p G-Sync (I've seen a few models, but they don't seem to have very good reviews, some have problems with being to bright, some have alot of pixel issues etc)
 

I play a wide range of games, some are CPU intenssive, some are GPU intenssive

 

Examples of games I have played (so you can see its all around, both fps, rpg, hgrts, etc)

 

Hearts of Iron 4

Skyrim

Divinity original sin 2

Fallout

CSGO

Dota 2

FM games (football manager)

etc etc etc.

 

Sorry about no links to the build sections!

 

So what would you change and what do you think about the GPU's ? Also I would love some advice on the 1440p monitor.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

It would help if you could note from which store you're buying it from so I can take a look at the stock myself to see what they have. I'm guessing you're buying from Komplett? Hälsningar från sverige!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Sahl said:

PSU - Corsair TX750M, 750W PSU ATX 12V v2-4, 80 Plus Gold, Semi Modular, 6+2-pin PCIe

Try to get a Corsair RM750x instead of the TX750M.

10 minutes ago, Sahl said:

SSD/HDD - Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD M.2 2280,

Get an 860 EVO 1TB instead, no point in investing in a PCIe SSD unless you're using it as a scratch disk. Also, what HDD are you getting?

5 minutes ago, Sahl said:

MB - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-H Gaming, S1151 Bundkort, ATX, Z370, DDR4, 3xPCIe-x16, SLI/CFX, USB 3.1, SupremeFX

You probably need to update the BIOS, so you should buy an 8th CPU (even an i3 8100 is fine) to update the BIOS, and then return the CPU once the update is complete. I also recommend getting an EVGA Z370 FTW, EVGA Classified K, Asus Prime Z370-A, or Asus Strix Z370-E.

9 minutes ago, Sahl said:

Cooler - I was suggested a NH-U14S  in the last thread instead of a Noctua NH-U9S - Water cooling is an option as well as long as its not as loud as my current build (its without a doubt the most noisy thing in my current setup)

How about a Dark Rock Pro 4?

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dreamplay said:

It would help if you could note from which store you're buying it from so I can take a look at the stock myself to see what they have. I'm guessing you're buying from Komplett? Hälsningar från sverige!

Komplett is one of two places I am looking. But Komplett seems to have the better offer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, r2724r16 said:

I also recommend getting an EVGA Z370 FTW, EVGA Classified K, Asus Prime Z370-A, or Asus Strix Z370-E.

How about a Dark Rock Pro 4?

Stores that build computers to your specifications usually don't have all the choices you might want.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, r2724r16 said:

Try to get a Corsair RM750x instead of the TX750M.

Get an 860 EVO 1TB instead, no point in investing in a PCIe SSD unless you're using it as a scratch disk. Also, what HDD are you getting?

You probably need to update the BIOS, so you should buy an 8th CPU (even an i3 8100 is fine) to update the BIOS, and then return the CPU once the update is complete. I also recommend getting an EVGA Z370 FTW, EVGA Classified K, Asus Prime Z370-A, or Asus Strix Z370-E.

How about a Dark Rock Pro 4?

Ty for the reply. Will look into that PSU instead.

I guess the 860 would be a better option then! its also cheaper. I just want a normal 7200 rpm hdd for the pictures/videos/smaller games.

I am not sure they have those MB, they seem to be abit restricted, also wont the i3 8100 bottleneck and be bad for future proof? I was adviced to wait for the new i9 some weeks back instead of a 8700k

I don't think they have that brand of Cooler.

 

I should properly link the komplett site in my link, that seems to be well known.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Right I just took a look at which parts komplett is offering for their "Komplett-PC" service. Unfortunally they don't have the most diverse supply of parts. I would suggest that you build it yourself if you really want the best went it comes to accustics(as someone before stated, they're missing "bequiet!", one of the best brands when it comes to noise-reduction(both cases and coolers/fans). You might want to take a step back and really think about building it yourself, however that might not be an option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Dreamplay said:

Right I just took a look at which parts komplett is offering for their "Komplett-PC" service. Unfortunally they don't have the most diverse supply of parts. I would suggest that you build it yourself if you really want the best went it comes to accustics(as someone before stated, they're missing "bequiet!", one of the best brands when it comes to noise-reduction(both cases and coolers/fans). You might want to take a step back and really think about building it yourself, however that might not be an option.

The hassle for me buying it myself is that I have to buy from 4-6 different stores and pay shipment etc. If something goes wrong in the process I have to ship stuff individually. But I guess its worth looking more options and to see if I can narrow it down to 1 or 2 stores, then it would be fine.

 

Any suggestions about the GPU ? I've heard some very inconsistent talk about the MSI. Most praise that Asus strix, but its just so damn expenssive compared to the other stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have discord? Since you seem to be scandinavian it'll be much easier to support over voice. Please pm me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Dreamplay said:

Do you have discord? Since you seem to be scandinavian it'll be much easier to support over voice.

Nope. I know that sounds weird. But whenever I can afford the time to play with friends its over something as old school as Ventrilo or TS.

I've been looking at a few shops so far and bequiet is pretty easy to dig up! The problem is when it comes to getting the cheapest prices on the other parts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Sahl said:

Nope. I know that sounds weird. But whenever I can afford the time to play with friends its over something as old school as Ventrilo or TS.

I've been looking at a few shops so far and bequiet is pretty easy to dig up! The problem is when it comes to getting the cheapest prices on the other parts.

Right, if you want to continue over TS, that's fine, just pm me the ip. If not that's fine. You can build a complete computer from komplett. Be quiet is on there and basically every other brand. You'll have no problem buying everything from there. It might be a 100 or 200 euros cheaper to buy parts from separate stores(get best price on each part) but if you want the security of buying everything from one store then I suggest going with Komplett. The only thing you might want to consider is that Komplett-PC comes with a warranty which is good but it also means that you can't upgrade your PC yourself since you don't have warranty of each separate component, only the whole computer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Dreamplay said:

Right, if you want to continue over TS, that's fine, just pm me the ip. If not that's fine. You can build a complete computer from komplett. Be quiet is on there and basically every other brand. You'll have no problem buying everything from there. It might be a 100 or 200 euros cheaper to buy parts from separate stores(get best price on each part) but if you want the security of buying everything from one store then I suggest going with Komplett. The only thing you might want to consider is that Komplett-PC comes with a warranty which is good but it also means that you can't upgrade your PC yourself since you don't have warranty of each separate component, only the whole computer.

Ahh thank you for that advice it seems like komplett might be the best solution.

I actually have bought from them before, but its long ago! Back then I could still have the warranty even if I upgraded parts. The thing is however, I am trying not to have to upgrade for 3-4 years (besides simple stuff like ram) 100-200 is not worth the hassle.

 

Do you have any suggestion about the 1440p monitor and the GPU's ?

 

(we don't have to talk tbh, since I think I am pretty content with the advice you two have given me)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sahl said:

Ahh thank you for that advice it seems like komplett might be the best solution.

I actually have bought from them before, but its long ago! Back then I could still have the warranty even if I upgraded parts. The thing is however, I am trying not to have to upgrade for 3-4 years (besides simple stuff like ram) 100-200 is not worth the hassle.

 

Do you have any suggestion about the 1440p monitor and the GPU's ?

 

(we don't have to talk tbh, since I think I am pretty content with the advice you two have given me)

Sorry for the delay. When it comes to screens I would make sure to read reviews since even some monitors of the big brands have some problems. Just be careful as with everything computer related. Good luck. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Komplett has a pretty good selection of quality parts.

 

You will want an X390 motherboard to go with your Coffee Lake Refresh cpu.

 

If noise is a principal concern get a non-windowed case. Something like the Define R6 is a good choice.

 

Seasonic Focus Plus Gold psu are as good as Corsair RMx and sometimes a little less expensive.

 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Dreamplay said:

Sorry for the delay. When it comes to screens I would make sure to read reviews since even some monitors of the big brands have some problems. Just be careful as with everything computer related. Good luck. :)

Thank you. I have read alot of reviews of monitors, but in that case I will wait for a few new models and stick with 1080p abit. No point in buying something unless its quality.

 

17 hours ago, brob said:

Komplett has a pretty good selection of quality parts.

 

You will want an X390 motherboard to go with your Coffee Lake Refresh cpu.

 

If noise is a principal concern get a non-windowed case. Something like the Define R6 is a good choice.

 

Seasonic Focus Plus Gold psu are as good as Corsair RMx and sometimes a little less expensive.

 

I do have a R6 already (my current pc) Its not loud, but it is not silent either.. I guess its the watercooling that is at fault here however.
I have looked at those seasonic, but never had any of them myself. Guess its worth to watch a few reviews about them.
I am also currently thinking a i7 9700 is the way to go CPU wise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Atm if I had to buy something now from IE komplett.. It would be maybe a tad to expenssive and due to the limitations of what hardware you can pick it would be something like.

 

Case - Fractal Design Define XL R2 Black Pearl

PSU - Corsair TX750M, 750W PSU ATX 12V v2-4, 80 Plus Gold, Semi Modular, 6+2-pin PCIe (Due to limitation)
MB - ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING

PSU - Corsair TX750M, 750W PSU ATX 12V v2-4, 80 Plus Gold, Semi Modular, 6+2-pin PCIe (due to limitation)
MB - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-H Gaming, S1151 Bundkort, ATX, Z370, DDR4, 3xPCIe-x16, SLI/CFX, USB 3.1, SupremeFX

CPU - Intel core i7-9700k
Ram - HyperX Fury DDR4 2666MHz 32GB 2x16GB CL16 Black (I could go something else, but have been adviced to go for this instead of 3000/3000 mhz with ripjaws etc)
SSD/HDD - Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + a Seagate Firecuda 1TB (for video/imagine storage)

Cooler - Noctua NH-U9S (Due to limitation)
GPU - MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio Grafikkort, PCI-Express 3.0, 8GB GDDR6, 1515/1860MHz, Turing

OS - Win 10

 

But its very pricy (still under my assigned budget) But prices in general are expensive in my area! Combined with this 9th gen cpu + RTX cards! They sure are abit inflated.
The positive side is that I think this will run at acceptable noise/temp levels and be future proof enough for atleast 4 years (I don't mind playing on medium settings during the end of the life cycle)

 

If you want to see some of them options on the site you can visit the komplett site linked in the OP. So what do you guys think? Would something like this be acceptable for my aim? Also

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

The cpu cooler choice seems undersized. Using a less capable cooler will force it to run at higher rpm, i.e. louder. Since the case will accommodate coolers up to 170mm why not go with something like the NH-D15 or Dark Rock Pro 4?

 

If you are going to go with DDR4-2666 memory, you should be choosing a kit with CL14. Which is likely going to be more expensive than getting DDR4-3200 CL16 that offers roughly the same performance. Read the entire article, but https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i7_8700K_Coffee_Lake_Memory_Performance_Benchmark_Analysis/10.html offers a quick summary.

 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, brob said:

The cpu cooler choice seems undersized. Using a less capable cooler will force it to run at higher rpm, i.e. louder. Since the case will accommodate coolers up to 170mm why not go with something like the NH-D15 or Dark Rock Pro 4?

 

If you are going to go with DDR4-2666 memory, you should be choosing a kit with CL14. Which is likely going to be more expensive than getting DDR4-3200 CL16 that offers roughly the same performance. Read the entire article, but https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i7_8700K_Coffee_Lake_Memory_Performance_Benchmark_Analysis/10.html offers a quick summary.

As far as the cooler - I am limited (its the only silent air cooler and reviews seens seems to show it can hold the temp down and still be silent.. I am still tempted to go for a AIO, but they all very loud thus making it pointless (The NH-D15 and Dark Rock pro 4 are not there, but as I said in the review I saw it beat the Darp Rock pro 4 so.. but well you never know ofc)

 

I am thinking about 2666 because I was adviced it instead of the 3000 or 3200 options due to the fact the 2666 runs hassle free and faster.. But originaly I wanted either

Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3200MHz CL 16 or Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3200MHz CL 15

 

As for the AIO I can choose from only the Corsair Hydro Series H55 or NZXT Kraken X52 (both seems to be very loud even on idle compared to the air cooler option! I might want to add that I am getting a i7 9700k

 

As for air coolers its pretty much Noctua NH-U9S as the only option (the rest are cheap loud ones)

I think ram is the biggest hassle to choose and due to them being abit over priced atm. But would love suggestions on ram (I was suggest CL 15/16 by most)

 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Intel cpu have very few issues with memory. Almost all compatible memory has at least one XMP (eXtreme Memory Profile) embedded. These profiles are Intel certified setting that allow memory to run at the advertised speed and timings. Enabling a profile is a simple BIOS setting. Stick with the memory you originally wanted.

 

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7038/noctua-nh-u9s-cpu-cooler-review/index6.html suggests that the NH-D15 would be a better choice. As does https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/noctua_nh_d9l_and_nh_u9s_cpu_cooler_review,9.html. Since the NH-D15 can do a better job cooling there is more flexibility in adjusting fan speeds to achieve optimal levels of noise and cooling. In other words, for the same cpu temperature the NH-D15 can run its fans slower.

 

Neither of the aio mentioned would be good choices for the build.

 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, brob said:

Intel cpu have very few issues with memory. Almost all compatible memory has at least one XMP (eXtreme Memory Profile) embedded. These profiles are Intel certified setting that allow memory to run at the advertised speed and timings. Enabling a profile is a simple BIOS setting. Stick with the memory you originally wanted.

 

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7038/noctua-nh-u9s-cpu-cooler-review/index6.html suggests that the NH-D15 would be a better choice. As does https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/noctua_nh_d9l_and_nh_u9s_cpu_cooler_review,9.html. Since the NH-D15 can do a better job cooling there is more flexibility in adjusting fan speeds to achieve optimal levels of noise and cooling. In other words, for the same cpu temperature the NH-D15 can run its fans slower.

 

Neither of the aio mentioned would be good choices for the build.

 

Ahh great. I will stick with the ram I wanted in the first place then.

I really would love to go for the NH-D15 or a Dark Rock, but they are not a option from where I am buying sadly, Will stay away from the AIO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at some of the reviews for the i7 9700k I am pretty tempted to go for a i7 8700k/8086k instead.. That could actually bring my price in total down around maybe 200 euro's. I am really scared about that Noctua NH-U9S not being enough for the 9700k even if the store claims it.

 

What is your opinion? stick with 9700k or revert to the older 8700/8086k ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sahl said:

Looking at some of the reviews for the i7 9700k I am pretty tempted to go for a i7 8700k/8086k instead.. That could actually bring my price in total down around maybe 200 euro's. I am really scared about that Noctua NH-U9S not being enough for the 9700k even if the store claims it.

 

What is your opinion? stick with 9700k or revert to the older 8700/8086k ?

I'd stick with the i7-9700K. Because of the upgraded interface material it overclocks better than the i7-8700K.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, brob said:

I'd stick with the i7-9700K. Because of the upgraded interface material it overclocks better than the i7-8700K.

Alright.. I just think the temperatures looks so damn hot in those benchmarks for that 9700k,,
I will order the PC next week. Can't wait to see the difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Sahl said:

Alright.. I just think the temperatures looks so damn hot in those benchmarks for that 9700k,,
I will order the PC next week. Can't wait to see the difference.

 

The Anandtech review shows pretty good thermals using a decent, but not great, air cooler. https://www.anandtech.com/show/13400/intel-9th-gen-core-i9-9900k-i7-9700k-i5-9600k-review/22

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×