i9 9900k build

Ganamede
Go to solution Solved by brob,

I believe Windows 7 would have to be installed before the 10 upgrade could be started. There may be issues installing such an old o/s on the very latest motherboard and cpu. NVMe drive support, (especially for a bootable drive), may be problematic. Most new driver sets do not include 7 support. Save time and trouble by getting Windows 10. Unless features like Bitlocker are required, Windows 10 Home should be fine.

Your motherboard choice supports Asus Aura Sync lighting control. You might consider getting a case with compatible lighting. Something like the Phanteks P350X or the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X.

It is possible to include gpu in a custom cooling loop. I would suggest leaving a custom loop to a later time. There are hybrid RTX 1080 Ti. These gpu have an attached all-in-one cooler with 120mm radiator.

The Nzxt Kraken X62 rev 2 and Corsair H100i v2 are widely available good all-in-one cpu coolers.

A psu only consumes as much power as required to satisfy immediate needs. 

SLI popularity seems to be declining. But if you really intend to add a second gpu, an 850W psu would be the minimum. I'd suggest a 1000W psu. Otherwise a good 650W would be fine.

So, this is my first system build.This is a $US build. I'm not aiming for the cheapest prices (performance/quality, durability & looks are more important to me,) The items I've selected are my choices thus far:

(pcpartspicker doesn't have my mb (asus z390-e) as an option yet.) My plan is to buy a 55* 4k tv. to use for a monitor. I plan on running the system with windows (I might buy windows 7 @ a cheaper price and upgrade that to windows 10.) I have a razer naga + orbweaver that I intend on using with the system. Also, I might buy a vr set in the future. I've been waiting for windows to release the 9th generation processors for months. I'm upgrading from a lenovo y570 (an old, old laptop.) I've been wanting to buy a new computer for years, but building one sounds better. :)

My requested advice: I'm having trouble finding the best water cooling system (I know almost nothing about water coolers for cpu's/gpu's.) I will be using an nvidia gpu (or 2 in SLI,) in the future. I'm wondering if water cooling for them is a possibility with my current motherboard (asus z390-e.) Where to find a cheap windows 10 key is also a concern. The power supply as well (since I may purchase 1-2 nvidia gpu's in the future and run them in SLI.) Is it ok to just buy a 800w power supply and not have to worry about it? Or will that eat up too much electricity while the system is idle? Also, there are gold/platinum, etc. ratings. Idk which is the best....

sounds like a cool build! I too am upgrading from a laptop my dell m4800. I got to ask what kind of graphics card are you looking at ? I am thinking about a ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Ti AMP edition .As for cooling I am going for a closed loop water cooler since I really dont know much about that stuff either and from what I am told its a lot easier then a custom loop so maybe look up closed loop water cooling for i9 ? Anyway look forward to see what you build and any real advice people who know what there doing give you .Good luck !!!

3 hours ago, Ganamede said:

Since you added that i am gonna quote you: Why? It is totaly pointless. It 's a great OS like XP was but it is old, very old right now. Windows 10 have many advantages over 7 and month after month they are getting better even if there are some "not so good" updates.

1 hour ago, Settlerteo said:

Since you added that i am gonna quote you: Why? It is totaly pointless. It 's a great OS like XP was but it is old, very old right now. Windows 10 have many advantages over 7 and month after month they are getting better even if there are some "not so good" updates.

Because it's free to upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7, windows 8 or windows 8.5. Windows 7 is cheaper....

I believe Windows 7 would have to be installed before the 10 upgrade could be started. There may be issues installing such an old o/s on the very latest motherboard and cpu. NVMe drive support, (especially for a bootable drive), may be problematic. Most new driver sets do not include 7 support. Save time and trouble by getting Windows 10. Unless features like Bitlocker are required, Windows 10 Home should be fine.

Your motherboard choice supports Asus Aura Sync lighting control. You might consider getting a case with compatible lighting. Something like the Phanteks P350X or the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X.

It is possible to include gpu in a custom cooling loop. I would suggest leaving a custom loop to a later time. There are hybrid RTX 1080 Ti. These gpu have an attached all-in-one cooler with 120mm radiator.

The Nzxt Kraken X62 rev 2 and Corsair H100i v2 are widely available good all-in-one cpu coolers.

A psu only consumes as much power as required to satisfy immediate needs. 

SLI popularity seems to be declining. But if you really intend to add a second gpu, an 850W psu would be the minimum. I'd suggest a 1000W psu. Otherwise a good 650W would be fine.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

4 hours ago, DeadPuppy said:

sounds like a cool build! I too am upgrading from a laptop my dell m4800. I got to ask what kind of graphics card are you looking at ? I am thinking about a ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Ti AMP edition .As for cooling I am going for a closed loop water cooler since I really dont know much about that stuff either and from what I am told its a lot easier then a custom loop so maybe look up closed loop water cooling for i9 ? Anyway look forward to see what you build and any real advice people who know what there doing give you .Good luck !!!

Probably an rtx 2080 ti, but I'll probably wait until the prices for them change.

• 3 weeks later...

instead of a 55 inch 4k TV I would suggest the 43 inch Phillips 4K Monitor, IPS, 60hz, 5ms (BDM4350UC)

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2018 at 4:12 PM, Settlerteo said:

You can't even run W7 on this processor anyway. Won't even install.

On 10/12/2018 at 6:50 PM, brob said:

I believe Windows 7 would have to be installed before the 10 upgrade could be started.

Yeah, you can't on Coffee Lake and Coffee Lake Refresh. No driver support. But you can install W10 just fine with a W7/8.x serial.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro