MSI GTX 780 Lightning

LinusTech

silly question, but, why are they releasing this card now? 780 is a bit old, why are they not releasing a 780ti version???

silly question, but, why are they releasing this card now? 780 is a bit old, why are they not releasing a 780ti version???

It has been out for a few months now, Linus's review is just after the fact for some reason.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Might be getting this then if it comes out anytime soon in the UK.

Its out already... OCUK has some. Thats where i got mine!

Intel Core I7 2600K (4.4Ghz) -- MSI Z77A-G43 -- Corsair H100I -- Muskin Blackline 1333Mhz 16GB (2x8) -- MSI GTX 780 Lightning -- Novatech Powerstation 1000watt -- WD RED 4TB HDD -- Bitfenix Colossus Venom-- Cyborg R.A.T 7 + 'borg 7 keyboard --2x Dell U2414H -- AT ATH700X -- Samson Meteor Mic -- Ikea Bekant Desk

There was someone with this card in a recent build log and his build featured a 350D case. 

I saw the build, absolutely beautiful, and that's the case I was looking at, but it eliminated any room it had for SLI. I wanted an SLI, though...

I might get it anyway given how well that build looked, though. I might just build along the lines of a 750D.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Linus, I felt that you could have unboxed the card while talking about it, there was a lot of video of you just waving the card around.

It has been out for a few months now, Linus's review is just after the fact for some reason.

He tweeted about the card months ago, they have a crazy upload schedule so either they didnt have time to film or the video just got lost or something. 

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

So does this card have any advantages over the Gigabyte windforce 780? I'm stuck between these two cards and want a little feedback. I'd be using it for gaming with some moderate OC

...Walked into a store, purpose being procurement of few screen protectors for my sisters' phone-thing...

"...Hmmm. Wonder if there's anything new with graphic cards...or...maybe cheap ram..."

Went by the periodicals, read up on the 700 series (pre-ti).

"AMD, hmmm. 290/X?

...780 price cuts*..."

*cuts

Anyway in the back-of-store behind glass there was a Titan, a 690, 770 and several Evga 780's /w the goofy designations e.g. SC, SSC, FTW, FTWW. The 780s were 700$+. Asked an employee about the discount.

Other guy comes up and says there's an MSI for 520$, 1 in the store. Seeing that the day prior it was selling for 850$, impulse buy.

The august reviews slammed msi for using elf-mem. From what I've gathered, a few variants exist:

A1 stepping /w E-gads mem

A1 stepping /w Hynix(?) mem

B1 Hynix

I seem to remember reading about an early batch /w Samsung mem. Haven't a clue what the present ones are loaded with.

on air /w pwr limit set @ 109%

I get +165 core and +600 mem

/w temps maxing at 46ish C

fans quiet.

I haven't spent much time with the OC. ASIC (dubious metric) is 81%.

Must text: Mr. L doesn't understate the heft of the card. It's crazy!

After reading several forums regarding non-ref 780s, the consensus is:

Many reviewed the card with the crap mem- that plus nvidias' apple-esque m.o. apropos volt-throttling=a spate of less then stellar op-eds.

Others with better luck (myself included) think it's the bees/knees.

Again, based upon posts/endless threads- many ppl really dig the Classified. The windforce has good backing as well.

Sum: a good MSI L is the favorite. Many of Those (assholes) serial returners moping on about crap mem went "Classy" and were güt. Classy methinks is better for the non-tinkering kind of person. I think it's a frame or few more out of the box.

Regardless, heed the words of the L-Man, the built quality of the card is supreme!

I think so too... Yellow isn't really my color.

But oh well, hopefully it'll be amazing.

Am I the only one who finds Lightning series cards unattractive? They remind me of plastic Bumblebee or whatever its name is.

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

Hey guys.

Managed to get a benchmark done for you all to enjoy. (Note this is the LE version, overclocked so it matched the regular. I missclicked and bought the LE.)

Names of screenshots are below the images. Although they are rather self explanatory!

Enjoy!

Idle_zps8f920988.png

Pre - Benchmark (Idle 10 mins on desktop - 2 screens 1366*768)

Bench_zps13c28bbc.png

Kombustor Benchmark

PostBench_zps056925fc.png

Post Benchmark results (unfortunately it is only 1366*768 because i used all my cash for my monitor upgrades on this card!)

Test bench

Intel Core I7 2600K @ 4.5GhZ

16Gb Mushkin Blackline 1333 RAM (2x8Gb)

MSI Z77 G45 Motherboard

Corsair H100I (Push, stock fans)

Novatech 1000watt Powerstation PSU

Bitfenix Colossus Venom edition Case

2x Samsung SyncMaster SA10's (1366*768) -To be upgraded end of January to 3 x Dell U2414H

120GB Corsair Force GT SSD (Boot)This is still a WIP. Hence why some parts are cheap/underpowered...)

Enjoy!

--Jimmy

Edited by jimmy99099099
Intel Core I7 2600K (4.4Ghz) -- MSI Z77A-G43 -- Corsair H100I -- Muskin Blackline 1333Mhz 16GB (2x8) -- MSI GTX 780 Lightning -- Novatech Powerstation 1000watt -- WD RED 4TB HDD -- Bitfenix Colossus Venom-- Cyborg R.A.T 7 + 'borg 7 keyboard --2x Dell U2414H -- AT ATH700X -- Samson Meteor Mic -- Ikea Bekant Desk