Do I really need a screen protector

Hi, so i got my new s9+ about 3 days ago and I really want to get a case for it. But I heard that it is better to get e screen protector first because it is really expensive to replace the glass. So I went to a local store and bought one. I asked them if they could put it for me. They couldnt... The protector was not fitting well on the screen and he wanted to give it to me to try at home. I said that I dont even want to try and he decided to try one more time. Then he said to me that he will give it to me and that I will put it at home. I wanted to say no, but he told me that he will give me a promotion. So as a dumbass I am I thought that I could put it by myself. And bought it. When I went home I wanted to open the wipes that were in the package, because he didnt use them for no reason. And the wet wipe was not actually wet. Then I finally knew what happened. He was trying to sell me a protector that he cant put. And because he tried so many times to put it on the whole protector was in dust under the screen... I got really mad and called my mom. She told me to deal with the problem alone. And then I broke the screen protector, because I got even more mad. So do I really need a screen protector now that I am $20 off? I was thinking of just a case, but the screen on my old phone was without a case and it got all scratched. I dont want this to happen again. BTW I live in bulgaria and here we have some pretty high prices.

I think if you don't drop it often then it's safe to get a thin case. I learned the hard way with my razer phone that having a case no matter how thin will greatly help the drop resistance.

There are screen protectors that will absorb the shock with the case that would have gone straight to your phone. 

So no, you don't "need one" but since you said you broke it because you were angry, you should get one. 

Don't let your temper get in the way, you could have went up to the shop and say hey, you guys sold me this knowing it didn't work, I need a refund. But you broke it and now you're out 20 bucks. 

Learn from your mistakes, buy another protector and make sure it fits. 

AND DONT LOSE YOUR TEMPER. 

If you don't break your Display, you don't need a protector ^^

Using an s7 Edge since release (31 Months) daily, not a single scratch. Not even very tiny ones. Just use a casual bumper.

All previous phones, same thing.

I removed my protection from my Huawei and years ago from my old Lumia. And I don't really treat my phones good, I have them in my pocket with keys and everything. And - surprise - not even one scratch! I have scratch when I was using protection screens, but when I remove them all - glass under them is really good (even old Lumia has no scratches). So I decided to neve again using any screen protectors.

5 minutes ago, ILoveZed said:

Hi, so i got my new s9+ about 3 days ago and I really want to get a case for it. But I heard that it is better to get e screen protector first because it is really expensive to replace the glass. So I went to a local store and bought one. I asked them if they could put it for me. They couldnt... The protector was not fitting well on the screen and he wanted to give it to me to try at home. I said that I dont even want to try and he decided to try one more time. Then he said to me that he will give it to me and that I will put it at home. I wanted to say no, but he told me that he will give me a promotion. So as a dumbass I am I thought that I could put it by myself. And bought it. When I went home I wanted to open the wipes that were in the package, because he didnt use them for no reason. And the wet wipe was not actually wet. Then I finally knew what happened. He was trying to sell me a protector that he cant put. And because he tried so many times to put it on the whole protector was in dust under the screen... I got really mad and called my mom. She told me to deal with the problem alone. And then I broke the screen protector, because I got even more mad. So do I really need a screen protector now that I am $20 off? I was thinking of just a case, but the screen on my old phone was without a case and it got all scratched. I dont want this to happen again. BTW I live in bulgaria and here we have some pretty high prices.

you don't need it, but as you said earlier, it's more expencive to buy a new screen then a second glass screen protector.

And assume they can't repair the screen, so if you drop it too hard, you'll brick your phone with it. I would say yes, but I drop my phone pretty often and never had a scratch on my screen becouse of a glass protector

Ok, so I dont have to worry about scratches. On my old phone the scratches were on the edge of the phone. i dont even know how did they appear. That is why I am worried.

It was a Huawei P10 Lite. I dont know what glass was the screen made from. So maybe it wasnt gorilla glass.

7 minutes ago, DVA said:

There are screen protectors that will absorb the shock with the case that would have gone straight to your phone. 

So no, you don't "need one" but since you said you broke it because you were angry, you should get one. 

Don't let your temper get in the way, you could have went up to the shop and say hey, you guys sold me this knowing it didn't work, I need a refund. But you broke it and now you're out 20 bucks. 

I meant that I broke the screen protector XD The phone is fine

8 minutes ago, DVA said:

Also I am kind of amazed how mad I was. I mean now that I think of it 20 bucks isnt all that much. I think that I got mad because he was like my friend. He has repaired my phones before, he has put screen protectors on my phone before. And now he just scammed me?!?! I am never going to that shop again. I am also going to tell the whole neighborhood about this shop. No one should go there when they are scamming people.

2 minutes ago, ILoveZed said:

I meant that I broke the screen protector XD The phone is fine

Oh I understood that, that's why I was saying you could have returned it and got your money back, but unfortunately lost your temper and broke it instead. Even if it was an accident maybe you were frustrated and used too much force.

It's ok, we've all been there. This is helps us grow though, good luck on your solution!

16 minutes ago, ILoveZed said:

The thing about screen protectors, is the glass is either resistant to cracking, or it's hardened against scratching - but never both. The S9+ has gorilla glass 5, which I assume is crack resistant. So if you're worried about scratching on it, I recommend Skinomi's Techskins. They're a wet-applied vinyl protector that completely mitigates scratches. 
They don't offer much extra protection if you were to drop your phone screen-first on a rock or something, but they do help against scraping from pens or keys & such while the device is in your pocket or bag. 
And when you apply the skin, you spray a mist of cleaning solution on your screen and on the vinyl. This layer of liquid allows you to slide the skin across the surface of your device until it's perfectly aligned. Then you squeegee out the liquid, and it takes away any dust that may have been trapped under during install. And you can make multiple attempts as well if something does go wrong. Just peel it up & wet it again. 
For most devices, it comes in matte or glossy finish too. Been using them on all my devices for the last 3-4 years & haven't had a bad install yet. 
The only downside I've found, is for some phones, the skin goes right to the very edge of the screen and can press up against a protective case you might have on as well. My wife's Galaxy Express Prime 2 is this way. I had to trim about 1mm of vinyl off from each side of the skin to be able to put her case on the phone without it pushing up the skin. 

So that's an extra option for you if you decide you do want something on the screen. 

38 minutes ago, ILoveZed said:

Step 1: Return the screen protector. If they complain it's broken, then point out it was defective because of the dried wet wipes. If they refuse, contact the protector manufacturer, and they should still provide you with a refund (mind you, it might take a few weeks before they send you the money).

Step 2:  Buy a high quality screen protector from Amazon (or another online store) - seriously, you can get top of the line tempered glass screen protectors for $10 (often less).

Step 3: Carefully follow the directions - the good ones come with both wet wipes, and stickers (STICKERS YOU MIGHT ASK? Yes, stickers - it's to clean off any remaining dust).

Finally, if there are a few specs of dust left? Don't worry about it.

The key to screen protectors is to keep your cool, realize that it won't always be perfect, and that you just need to take your time and do it slowly.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)