Old Pc server

Kavin1102

I have a cheap old pc. How do i make it into server for free?

install a server os on it and put some hard drives in that bad boy. Then you can call it a server

A server is only defined by the service it provides. If you host a game on your home PC, it'd technically be a server.

Come up with a use case for your old hardware (like building a NAS) and we'll be able to help you out further

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

Depends on what service you want it to provide. A server is nothing more than a box dedicated to one or more services.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Ok, so... Install Apache and PHP, I assume that you have external IP so all you need is forward port 80-81. Then you need to connect your domain (which is not free, but may be cheap) to your IP and you can publish your website on your server. It will be probably very slow server but hey - it will be yours. :)

Or, you can install as may game servers applications as you want and create online gameserver.

Or you can just plug any HDD and share directory so you can made it local fileserver. If you install FilezillaServer, then you'll have external access to your computer using FTP protocol. Which is cool - you can share files with your friends.

And you can install Emby or Plex and create media server. With external IP you can even watch your movies and listen to your music anywhere.