Cryorig C7 Cu + Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM (copper low profile solutions?)

I'm intending to get a jumpstart on a new itx PC build, this time with the intent of perhaps fitting it inside a Skyreach S4 Mini. I was looking into some low-profile solutions with fitting a CPU cooler, and I've concluded that the Cryorig C7 Cu's copper heatsink paired with a Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM seems like the best fit (since Noctua doesn't seem to have any low-profile copper solutions of their own).

My question now is how to attain those special mounting clips that come with Noctua's heatsinks...without buying the heatsinks themselves. I've contacted Noctua, but they haven't come to me with an answer yet. I wasn't sure where I could attain these clips so I can pull off something like this gentleman from the SFF forums (Credit to Hudzzy).

Also buying two separate cooling solutions to combine them doesn't seem as cost efficient, so I was wondering if Zalman or any other manufacturer has a similar idea of having an all-copper low profil cooling solution out there.

It looks like you might be able to get C7 clips for the fan from Taobao: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/nfc-skyreach-4-mini-i7-8700-msi-1070gtx-mini-16gb-ddr4.8576/#post-110645

Zalman has the CNPS2X but the NH-L9 performs better in the S4 Mini. 

The C7 CU seems to lose any performance benefit over the original C7 when used with the NF-A9x14: https://smallformfactor.net/reviews/cryorig-c7-cu-dat-copper-tho#The-Testing

This is partially due to the lack of airflow that's needed to make the most out of using copper vs. aluminum. 

I'd suggest just going with the NH-L9 from Noctua unless you can get a LP53 with the NF-A9x14 which should actually be better. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

It looks like you might be able to get C7 clips for the fan from Taobao: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/nfc-skyreach-4-mini-i7-8700-msi-1070gtx-mini-16gb-ddr4.8576/#post-110645

Zalman has the CNPS2X but the NH-L9 performs better in the S4 Mini. 

The C7 CU seems to lose any performance benefit over the original C7 when used with the NF-A9x14: https://smallformfactor.net/reviews/cryorig-c7-cu-dat-copper-tho#The-Testing

This is partially due to the lack of airflow that's needed to make the most out of using copper vs. aluminum. 

I'd suggest just going with the NH-L9 from Noctua unless you can get a LP53 with the NF-A9x14 which should actually be better. 

The NH-L9? Hasn't that actually been superceded by the NH-L12?

Also I find it strange that the Cryorig C7 Cu would lose all it's performance benefits when coupled with the much superior fan, especially given its all-copper nature. Is it because of the fin design?

34 minutes ago, SiG said:

I'm intending to get a jumpstart on a new itx PC build, this time with the intent of perhaps fitting it inside a Skyreach S4 Mini. I was looking into some low-profile solutions with fitting a CPU cooler, and I've concluded that the Cryorig C7 Cu's copper heatsink paired with a Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM seems like the best fit (since Noctua doesn't seem to have any low-profile copper solutions of their own).

My question now is how to attain those special mounting clips that come with Noctua's heatsinks...without buying the heatsinks themselves. I've contacted Noctua, but they haven't come to me with an answer yet. I wasn't sure where I could attain these clips so I can pull off something like this gentleman from the SFF forums (Credit to Hudzzy).

Also buying two separate cooling solutions to combine them doesn't seem as cost efficient, so I was wondering if Zalman or any other manufacturer has a similar idea of having an all-copper low profil cooling solution out there.

38 minutes ago, SiG said:

the c7 is way too tall for the s mini

4 minutes ago, SiG said:

The NH-L9? Hasn't that actually been superceded by the NH-L12?

Also I find it strange that the Cryorig C7 Cu would lose all it's performance benefits when coupled with the much superior fan, especially given its all-copper nature. Is it because of the fin design?

No, the NH-L12 is a different product line and has been superceded by the NH-L12S. Neither fit in the S4.

Even though the NF-A9x14 higher quality and quieter, it's weaker than the stock C7 fan. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

21 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

No, the NH-L12 is a different product line and has been superceded by the NH-L12S. Neither fit in the S4.

Even though the NF-A9x14 higher quality and quieter, it's weaker than the stock C7 fan. 

I see. I kinda really wished Noctua would create a nice all-copper low-profile solution themselves, similar to the Zalman fan, like an NH-L9i Copper Edition. I can testify to the effectiveness of having an all-copper sink, so I'm bound to trust it more.

35 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Any other online alternatives available?

49 minutes ago, SiG said:

I see. I kinda really wished Noctua would create a nice all-copper low-profile solution themselves, similar to the Zalman fan, like an NH-L9i Copper Edition. I can testify to the effectiveness of having an all-copper sink, so I'm bound to trust it more.

Any other online alternatives available?

I might be wrong but I don't think an all-copper version would perform that much better since the NH-L9 would still be held back by lack of airflow from the NF-A9x14. It's probably technically possible but might require a new or higher rpm fan to take advantage of the copper and not likely feasible as a product that's useful only for a small subset of customers.

Depending on where you're shopping / located, you could try looking online for 92mm fan clips. It's usually pretty easy to bend them into shape if needed with pliers. 

29 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

I might be wrong but I don't think an all-copper version would perform that much better since the NH-L9 would still be held back by lack of airflow from the NF-A9x14. It's probably technically possible but might require a new or higher rpm fan to take advantage of the copper and not likely feasible as a product that's useful only for a small subset of customers.

Depending on where you're shopping / located, you could try looking online for 92mm fan clips. It's usually pretty easy to bend them into shape if needed with pliers. 

I've kind of been dependent on the Zalman CNPS8900 Quiet for my current rig, which has done a very good job so far keeping my CPU around the 30~C on idle and around 50~C under heavy loads. I guess copper would prove better heat distribution, but as you said, it's best when coupled with a fan with strong airflow.

Noctua Customer Support just got back to me. Seems they aren't as generous as I'd hope they'd be.

No, they don't offer the mounting clips for sale at all. The best thing I'd have to do is get an NH-L9i and then swap out Noctua's heatsync for Cryorig's copper one.

1 hour ago, SiG said:

Noctua Customer Support just got back to me. Seems they aren't as generous as I'd hope they'd be.

No, they don't offer the mounting clips for sale at all. The best thing I'd have to do is get an NH-L9i and then swap out Noctua's heatsync for Cryorig's copper one.

The NH-L9 uses screws instead of clips to mount the fan.

On 10/9/2018 at 9:23 PM, WoodenMarker said:

The NH-L9 uses screws instead of clips to mount the fan.

Does the Cryorig C7 Cu have mounting screw holes for the fan?

53 minutes ago, SiG said:

Does the Cryorig C7 Cu have mounting screw holes for the fan?

No, the included fan has a custom frame that clips onto the heatsink.