Ryzen 7 1700 probably dead...

Maegnicka

Hello, i probably killed my Ryzen 7 1700 by keeping it overclocked at 4 ghz in the summer.

it was stable at 1.418V and i could run games, 3d modeling softwates and unity 3D without a hitch for probably 11 months, and then, when i would do complex modeling under ZBrush, past 6 millions points, the pc would occasionnally freeze in the 4th month. I thought it might just be the scorching hot air in the room so i started to use extra fans directed toward the case to push fresh air towards it, but it kept freezing under heavy load in Zbrush, and it was the only one program that would make it freeze to the point i have to reset the computer.

A few days before it died, i stepped the overclock down to 3.9 at 1.38 V so it felt safer, but a couple days after this, it froze to never be able to boot windows again.

I know it's the cpu that is doing this because after i checked every parts, changed the ram for slower one from another pc, changed the graphics card, and reseated the cpu, repasted it and everything, i Switched motherboards, yep, i bought a new one because i thought it was the motherboard that went kapoot, it was the less expensive part to change so... But it was doing everything the same as it was doing on the first motherboard. ( previously it was a msi x370 gaming plus, and now i'm trying it on a msi x470 gaming plus ) it kept not wanting to boot, even from a usb drive with windows 10 on it, it would only show an underscore blinking when trying to boot from it's former windows 10 drive / installation, and i even tried a fresh windows 10 install on another computer, pluging the drive in it and crossing the fingers until i was confronted with the blinking white underscore on a black screen.

When it tries to boot from an usb windows 10 installation , the screen is just black.

The bios shows it running at 3 ghz but fluctuates between 1.39 volts to 1.4 volts, i know that when i got this chip, it was running at 3ghz at 1.185 Volts from being installed on the board, so i tried to manually set it to 1.185Volts but the system wouldn't post at all, it would keep rebooting like when you did a bad overclock thing and reset itself the cpu at 1.39 / 1.4 volts after 5 attempts and reboots.

Am i right to think that it is the cpu that went bad ?

Is it completely dead / unusable in any circumstances ?

I only have the budget to go get me a ryzen 5 2600 for now

I feel bad i really liked to have 8 cores 16 threads...

You should reset to stock settings for troubleshooting ideally... that way there are less complications that could be causing faults.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 minute ago, paddy-stone said:

You should reset to stock settings for troubleshooting ideally... that way there are less complications that could be causing faults.

I've done that on the two motherboard, i even cleared cmos by removing the battery and loading the defaults settings of the bioses's motherboard but it still was behaving like this.

CPU probably went bad, as is to be expected with that voltage. But something that suprises me though is that it did anything. You can get in the BIOS right?

Try setting the core clock at like 1.5GHZ, leaving the voltage at stock. WIll it run?

1 minute ago, timl132 said:

CPU probably went bad, as is to be expected with that voltage. But something that suprises me though is that it did anything. You can get in the BIOS right?

Try setting the core clock at like 1.5GHZ, leaving the voltage at stock. WIll it run?

I didn't tried that, can you go down and not up from the 30 multiplier ? It's something i didn't tried i'm going to do that now.

1 minute ago, Maegnicka said:

I didn't tried that, can you go down and not up from the 30 multiplier ? It's something i didn't tried i'm going to do that now.

I believe you should be able to do so.

3 minutes ago, timl132 said:

I believe you should be able to do so.

Ok so it started at 1.5ghz stating it's voltage is 0.912 V (on auto) but when i try to boot from usb drive, screen is still pitch black, when trying to boot from an sata drive with windows 10, underscore blinking on a black screen.

1 minute ago, Maegnicka said:

Ok so it started at 1.5ghz stating it's voltage is 0.912 V (on auto) but when i try to boot from usb drive, screen is still pitch black, when trying to boot from an sata drive with windows 10, underscore blinking on a black screen.

Try increasing voltage(1.1/1.2 or something). Also, are you sure your ram is ok?

15 minutes ago, timl132 said:

Try increasing voltage(1.1/1.2 or something). Also, are you sure your ram is ok?

Yeah i have two sticks, i just put one in it, i tried four slots already and it don't change something, i already tried them on another pc (an i5 6600k ) and have done a few benchmarks with them, they aren't freezing the computer :/ i might try again these slower ram (2133 ddr4) with the slower cpu ratio and downvoltage right now

This is my first time ever blowing up a cpu by overclocking, i mean, i had a 8 cores fx 8350 clocked at 4.5 ghz for 8 years with a pure rock be quiet and it never went bust, and i had the ryzen 7 1700 on watercooling :/ (even tho it was a small coolermaster radiator / watercooler i got around 60 euros on rebate but it works ) It was the master cooler lite 120

Well i tried to enable some of the cpu features in the menu for spread spectrum checks and undervolting / overvolting security and enabled them, now the motherboard keeps checking the vga, then checks the cpu, stays on the cpu for 4 / 5 seconds lited on the EZ leds, then tries the vga again for 1 sec, and comes back to the cpu for 4 / 5 seconds, in an infinite cycle, haha,  ? but won't ever boot, or go to the post / bios menu, i guess it's time to clear the cmos again...

Oh, a detail maybe but a few weeks before it went dead, i updated the msi x370 bios to a newer version, even tho, the cpu won't work on the new motherboard either, but i needed to try an update to see if it had better memory support, doing some research i read somewhere that some bioses updates on specific x370 motherboards were bad in some occasions for the cpu, but it was like an end of april / may update for the msi x370 motherboard's bios.

I also stumbled upon this thread on reddit :

My fear is that i had to manually set up the voltage to 1.41 volts for the cpu to keep it's 4ghz overclock...