working out required power

SAV1OUR

how do you guys tend to work out the required power the 2 cards on sli or something require, eg if i card needs 600 and another needs 600 does that mean i would need 1200w? sorry for the dumb question but im just clueless as to how 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Pay no mind to the power supply requirements on a GPU box

You work based on TDP watt estimates*1.20 (for overclock) on GPU, or base it off of 1.20(benchmark calculated watts)

If you're using crossfire you multiply that by 2, obviously.

CPU is usually ~130w max OC consumption for recent Intel chips (socket 1150) and around 200w for AMD chips, reaching into probably 240w territory for extremely high overclocks.

Total that up, add 50w for MB and HDD, divide that by .80 and buy a PSU around that number.

HDD power consumption needs to be looked at individually if you're running a many drives.

That should maximize efficiency and cost.

Keep in mind that you need to worry about enough amps on the rail if you have some generic poo PSU.

Error: 410

That number accounts for the rest of the system as well. It's a pretty exaggerated number.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

There's no card that needs 600w of power. What you're looking at is the recommended wattage for the entire system including the graphics card if it says 600w.

The best way to find out is to look at benchmarks from the video card reviews and kill-a-watt measurements from the wall. 

Ignore what Nvidia recommends as it's highly inflated in case you're using a crappy psu.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

There's no card that needs 600w of power. What you're looking at is the recommended wattage for the entire system including the graphics card if it says 600w.

The best way to find out is to look at benchmarks from the video card reviews and kill-a-watt measurements from the wall. 

Ignore what Nvidia recommends as it's highly inflated in case you're using a crappy psu.

yea sorry about that i meant that as a example what i should have said if a gpu says that it needs x amount of power to power it and the pc and i were to get a second one how much would i need to power the pc 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

yea sorry about that i meant that as a example what i should have said if a gpu says that it needs x amount of power to power it and the pc and i were to get a second one how much would i need to power the pc 

Depends on the gpu.

If you're talking about a 680 sli, a decent 750w psu would do.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

You add the amount that the card added would require. You get that number based on benchmarks, the specs, or how I outlined earlier in an overclocked system.

I'm not entirely sure what you're stuck on, can you clarify?

Error: 410

how do you guys tend to work out the required power the 2 cards on sli or something require, eg if i card needs 600 and another needs 600 does that mean i would need 1200w? sorry for the dumb question but im just clueless as to how 

Here's another two:

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

http://www.coolermaster.outervision.com/

They're fairly the same, though I'm not sure if you get the exact same number.

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!