Time to switch to Signal ?

Looks like whatsapp is going to be putting ads soon, maybe is time we all switch to Signal ?

Point for why we should switch 

1. Signal is Open Source

2. Signal have Black theme

3. You can send jif in Signal(memes!!!)

4. Is a non profit foundation

5. It have call relay 

Yes, and then we switch to SuperCommunicator, then to OpenPeople, then to IMV++, then to TLS Worldwide, then...

And we will still wrote the same crap on every messenger we will use. I see no quality of conversation raise since ICQ or Jabber or IRC. Even worse, because on text based messengers people must write something interesting.

37 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Yes, and then we switch to SuperCommunicator, then to OpenPeople, then to IMV++, then to TLS Worldwide, then...

And we will still wrote the same crap on every messenger we will use. I see no quality of conversation raise since ICQ or Jabber or IRC. Even worse, because on text based messengers people must write something interesting.

But Signal is more secure and is Open Source, and you will never know what Whatsapp is doing on the back end 

24 minutes ago, pro_potato said:

But Signal is more secure and is Open Source, and you will never know what Whatsapp is doing on the back end 

I don't know and don't care. I stll use old text protocols to communicate. I also have Whatsap, but I don't use it so much.

On 10/4/2018 at 9:31 AM, pro_potato said:

Whatsapp has end to end encryption so if you are still worried, make your own platform if you are worried. People use it for the ease of use and how easy it is to talk to people you want around the world. If you have a problem with it just don't use it.

Hello

On 10/4/2018 at 12:44 AM, pro_potato said:

Looks like whatsapp is going to be putting ads soon, maybe is time we all switch to Signal ?

Point for why we should switch 

1. Signal is Open Source

2. Signal have Black theme

3. You can send jif in Signal(memes!!!)

4. Is a non profit foundation

5. It have call relay 

While I can't disagree with your reasoning for wanting to switch, it will do no good if the people you talk to regularly don't also install "just one more" messaging app. The problem with messaging services is that THERE ARE TOO MANY of them for any of them to be useful.

On a daily basis, I have to ask myself which app or service I last talked to each individual friend on in order to recall what we were last discussing. If I can't remember, I then have to open up my texting app, Facebook Messenger, Telegram, Snapchat, WhatsApp, Discord, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, Google Hangouts, Twitter, Slack, and 5+ email accounts, only to realize we didn't use an app at all since the last time we spoke was at the pub or coffee shop.

For example, BlackBerry's HUB software is the closest thing we've ever had to a unified comms app, up until Facebook decided to close their APIs, allowing users to only receive notifications in the app but not comment, like, or reply to notifications without opening the Facebook app separately. However, I understand the business decisions behind not having such a service, since advertising revenue is far more important than a seamless user experience, apparently.

The state of modern communication platforms is so distraught that I often take days or weeks to reply to emails, either because I just don't care to continually open my email app, or I lose the emails in a swath of other emails or communication notifications. I'd pay a few hundred dollars per year if (not when) someone develops a single unified communications app that I can view & reply to my notifications from, without leaving the app, but this just isn't going to happen.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)