Seeking Feedback for a Home-Server build

Greetings LTT-Forum,

for my second ever post here I was wondering if you fine people could help me and give me feedback on a little project I have planned for myself.

I am planning to build myself a nice "little" Home-Server for multiple reasons (see "Planed Usage" below) and I have thrown together a nice little part list on Pc Partpicker (see below).

I would be seeking some constructive feedback from anyone who can spare the time and maybe has some experience in this space.

Planed Usage

• Basic NAS
  • Maybe Plex Server
  • Git / VCS Server
  • Docker Container server
  • CI Server (Jenkins or similar)
  • VM Host (don't know how well that would work)
  • Game server (for the verry few games that still support dedicated servers)
  • TS3 server ?
  • (maybe pfSense)?

Nice to have aspects

• near silent
  • inconspicuous (easier to position at home, very objecttive so can be ignored)

Part List

PcPartPicker-List [Update: Change to gt210] (Original)

(NOTE: I AM NOT GERMAN, just to be clear here! Also, the prices listed in there aren’t the best available to me as PcPartpicker doesn't use all the shops available to me for its prices.)

Planed OS

FreeNas or Debian (more likely FreeNas)

What I would like to ask from You?

If you can spare the time and preferably have som experiance with FreeNas or Home-Servers to have a look at my list and tell me your thoughts. All constructiv feedback is much aprecheated!

(NOTE: for constructive feedback not just a "YOU ARE WRONG" message as this would not help :P)

Final Note

I know this system is most likely a bit OP but hey I thought it would suit my planned use cases best :P + I would like to point out that I wouldn't be asking for feedback if it where final.

Oh and I'm not sure if I posted this in the right section of the forum tbh, if not please let me know and i shall delete this one and post int the "New Builds and Planning" section (if that would be the right one :-?)

Thanks for your time!

Greetings from somewhere in europe! Please excuse my grammar and spelling, but I can't help it :P

FOSS (Free Open Source Software) for the win!

6 minutes ago, k3rnel-pan1c said:

inconspicuous (easier to position at home)

That's going to be on you...what you define as "inconspicuous" might be worlds away from what I think it means.

Aside from that, it's certainly powerful enough to handle anything you throw at it, so in that regards, if you've got that kind of money to toss around, then I don't see any place that needs improvement.

I didn't see a RAID card however...did I miss something?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

@Radium_Angel thanks for your reply, no i did not miss it, I delibratly ignored it since I read that freenas can have a dificult time with them (should ii decide to use freenas ofc)

Greetings from somewhere in europe! Please excuse my grammar and spelling, but I can't help it :P

@firelighter487 okay? thanks, but why? a server doesnt need a GPU most of the time, does it? (and realy just for console out if remote acces fails or for initial setup)

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

gt730 is a stupid choice.

It's a perfectly valid choice if you aren't a gamer....(and the board he picked doesn't have built-in GFX)

1 minute ago, k3rnel-pan1c said:

since I read that freenas can have a dificult time with them

That's bizarre that a NAS solution would have issues with RAID cards.....

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

@Radium_Angel its mostly due to passing through the drives directly so ZFS can work properly and the health stats get read properly

and since I didnt go into it preveously yeah i guess "inconspicuous" is a too objective aspect (yet you can kinda derive it from my case choise :P)

1 minute ago, k3rnel-pan1c said:

@Radium_Angel its mostly due to passing through the drives directly so ZFS can work properly and the health stats get read properly

and since I didnt go into it preveously yeah i guess "inconspicuous" is a too objective aspect (yet you can kinda derive it from my case choise :P)

Fair enough! You put some thought into this I can tell.

I prefer dedicated NAS devices over a roll-your-own, but freeNAS is certainly highly rated.

I doubt your system will struggle with anything, I'd say go for it and post a build link with pics :)

@Radium_Angel thanks xD i certainly will post about that projeckt, but don't expect it too soon as i start my masters next week and will be ocupied a bit + I'm gambling on lower RAM prices at the end of this / start of next year

4 minutes ago, k3rnel-pan1c said:

I'm gambling on lower RAM prices at the end of this / start of next year

God I hope so, I need more DDR4 in my main rig and I'm unwilling to pay the current prices.

Masters huh? WHat major?

Starting my MSc in Software Engineering (hence my need for a git-server and Jenkins) xD

[EDIT] I say "need" I mean "I want" xD

3 hours ago, k3rnel-pan1c said:

@firelighter487 okay? thanks, but why? a server doesnt need a GPU most of the time, does it? (and realy just for console out if remote acces fails or for initial setup)

3 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

It's a perfectly valid choice if you aren't a gamer....(and the board he picked doesn't have built-in GFX)

no, you can just get a gt210 in that case. a gt730 is a waste of money.

She/Her

okay that now makes sense :) thanks firelighter