PC to uni! Upgrade or nah?

iblackboy

Heyy was wondering should I bother upgrading my PC's CPU and in turn ram motherboard and storage for uni? I'm an engineering student ( mechanical) I will have a laptop which I'm in the midst of searching for. But here are my specs

I5-4670k ~ AIO cooler
16gb Ram
Asus gene vi m-atx board
GTX 1070
256 GB SSD
1tb HDD
730W thermaltake power supply

I'll be going abroad so was also wondering if I'd be able to take my AIO cooler? ( Heading down under!)

If youre looking to get more performance out of the system then sure. If not and it works just fine for you, don't see why you would need to.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

8 minutes ago, Slottr said:

If youre looking to get more performance out of the system then sure. If not and it works just fine for you, don't see why you would need to.

Eh you're right tbh! Cheers what about taking the AIO cooler abroad?

2 minutes ago, iblackboy said:

Eh you're right tbh! Cheers what about taking the AIO cooler abroad?

If you're going to be in a warmer climate, having watercooling would be recommended.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

if it's working fine for you then don't upgrade.

if you do want a little bit more multi-core cpu power a pretty easy thing to do would be sell your i5 and buy a used 4th gen i7 to replace it... a 4770K crushes your i5 in multi-core speed because of hyperhtreading. do check your PSU first though. i7's consume a bit more power i think.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4770K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4670K/1537vs1538

15 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

If you're going to be in a warmer climate, having watercooling would be recommended.

yep. especially if the OP upgrades to an i7 and overclocks it.

She/Her

Hey there cheers for the replies guys! 

I would consider getting an i7 but the thing is as you said, I would definitely need to sell my current i5 but I am not sure whether I will be able to given that I live in the emirates and I don't really know how mid tier cpus like these sell I saw the aforementioned CPU selling for 800aed or 217 usd of course it was used ) but other cpus like the i5 6600 for 650 AEd or 176 USD.

I am not really sure if my cpu will be of any value here tbh. Even if I take my PC I will likely build a cheap one with the left over parts for my brother and dad to use. So its either spending more on a PC for myself and leaving behind the old one or spending less and taking my one and building a cheaper one.

Would you mind if I get back to you on a PM? I need to think this through hahah