GTX 1080 Ti Strange Noises

Dear LTT forum,

A few months ago I purchased a 1080 Ti ROG Strix OC by ASUS. I hadn't worked it much until recently, and just discovered that the card is making strange hissing and whistling noises when pushed. Here you will find a video containing the issue. I am familiar with coil whine (and I find it completely unacceptable at this price point) but I'm not sure whether that's what's actually going on, or if this is capacitor squeal (in which case the card is bound to fail sooner rather than later and should be replaced or refunded as soon as possible). Before I contact the retailer to RMA it, I'd like your opinions, based on your experience, in regards to whether these noises are normal or not. Bear in mind that the card is inside a case made by BeQuiet! so it has solid noise dampening, yet the card still manages to be audible through it.

I'll also forward this to the ASUS ROG forum itself once they activate my account (it's brand new so I have to wait for their approval before I can post there).

Thank you for your time.

P.S: In order to clearly hear the noise, I recommend using headphones and turning the volume up.

Edit: Re-uploading the video due to an error.

Edit 2: Video's back up.

Sincerely,

RJ

9 minutes ago, Referi Jerator said:

Here you will find a video containing the issue.

Yes that definitely is coil whine.

No, it is not technically a valid reason to RMA a card (of any price point). Funny thing is: High end cards are more likely to have it since they push more FPS.
I have heard of cases where people found the culprit and used a small blob of silicone to silence that noise.
That is my take on it. Sry, to dissapoint you. If your reseller is nice or you are still within 14 days of purchase you can return it. Otherwise: This is not uncommon.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

47 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

Yes that definitely is coil whine.

No, it is not technically a valid reason to RMA a card (of any price point). Funny thing is: High end cards are more likely to have it since they push more FPS.
I have heard of cases where people found the culprit and used a small blob of silicone to silence that noise.
That is my take on it. Sry, to dissapoint you. If your reseller is nice or you are still within 14 days of purchase you can return it. Otherwise: This is not uncommon.

Thank you for your response. As I mentioned above, this noise is audible through a noise dampening case, as such it is not acceptable. Furthermore, no need to apologize, as I am not disappointed. This is a very good card, which is why I purchased it in the first place. But the last thing I want is for this hissing to actually be a failing component, and have the card stop working after warranty has expired. That would just be tragic.

I have same coil whine on my 1080. I don't mind it because I always use headphones. Funny thing is that it only whines like that when I'm launching a game, once I load into the game itself, noise dies down where I can't hear it even through the case without headphones.

Its not serious problem, just a bit annoying.

With me being super unlucky, I had similar coil whine on my last 3 cards...

My first card with this coil whine was Asus GTX760, I used it for over 2 years, and right now my friend is using it for over a year with no technical issues.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

I already sent an RMA request to the retailer. They have a service department so the technicians there ought to be able to figure out whether these noises are dangerous or not. Thank you for your time.

My Strix 1080 Ti produced same noises, when case closed on table (2 feet from my head). Tried a few RMA units and different vendors, chandge PSU and can say - no huge TDP cards without any whines (1080 Ti, at least). Maybe it's my and you unique ears, who knows. Coil whine does not affect the GPU overall reliability. When i playing in headphones or 5.1 system i cannot hear any noises. I would not worry about it, you can RMA, but not warranty that next card didn't produce whine or even will get louder than past unit. 

If you "find it completely unacceptable at this price point" stay on low and cheap TDP models, they have less coil whine chance.