Optane total fail. Why?

So... I bought a 32g optane drive just for giggles to see how it would effect some of my slower drives, mainly just for fun TBH. But it does not seem to work, I disabled and enabled the things I was supposed to and it's not detected in the OS or by the optane program. At first it showed up as a regular drive but the program did not detect it and then I changed some settings and it's just gone no matter if I change them back or not... :( I have 2 drives on my dimm.2 thing with one being the optane and idk if maybe it can't work there? So far my optane experiment has been a drive that does nothing.... not sure if anyone else had this issue or not but it's disappointing. 

17 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What board do you have?

You can try using other caching sofware with the drive.

Rog rampage vi, the optane drive does not even show up

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What slot is the drive in?

it's in one of the 2 slots on the Dimm.2 card which Is just an m.2 extension card

2 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

it's in one of the 2 slots on the Dimm.2 card which Is just an m.2 extension card

what exact board? There are multiple Rog rampage vi boards.

7 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Try the other m.2 slot

What cpu are you running?

Does the drive show up in the bios?

If you just want to play with caching, id just get a normal ssd. You can use the intel rapid storage or many other programs for caching. No reason to use optane here.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Try the other m.2 slot

What cpu are you running?

Does the drive show up in the bios?

If you just want to play with caching, id just get a normal ssd. You can use the intel rapid storage or many other programs for caching. No reason to use optane here.

7920x. Also no it does not and the other slot is hard to get to. Honestly I just wanted to try it. 

1 minute ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

7920x. Also no it does not and the other slot is hard to get to. Honestly I just wanted to try it. 

Try reinserting the drive, but this seems like a dead drive from what I see.

You can try caching with a normal drive, optane caching is nothing new and intel has had caching built in for a while now. If you want the full optane experience get a 900p, there much faster, the speeds on the 32gb is pretty limited for writes.

Is your PCH Storage settings set to AHCI or RST with Intel Optane?

3 hours ago, LMG Ivan said:

Is your PCH Storage settings set to AHCI or RST with Intel Optane?

Nope, literally looked at every guide and followed all the stuff I'm supposed to do, it just hates me I think lol

19 hours ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Nope, literally looked at every guide and followed all the stuff I'm supposed to do, it just hates me I think lol

IIRC I've initially had difficulties getting it to detect as well. Aside from remembering to toggle the AHCI mode to iRST + Optane, I DID swap M.2 ports during the process, and used the Optane application as opposed to enabling it from within the iRST software. After it finally did detect, it was rather seamless and I could swap slots.

Also, a broken pin on the DIMM.2 card cost me hours of trying everything only to realize it was a hardware issue all along. DIMM.2 is dual-sided, perhaps swap the two drives around?

Does it at least show up in Drive Manager as an unformatted volume?

3 hours ago, LMG Ivan said:

IIRC I've initially had difficulties getting it to detect as well. Aside from remembering to toggle the AHCI mode to iRST + Optane, I DID swap M.2 ports during the process, and used the Optane application as opposed to enabling it from within the iRST software. After it finally did detect, it was rather seamless and I could swap slots.

Also, a broken pin on the DIMM.2 card cost me hours of trying everything only to realize it was a hardware issue all along. DIMM.2 is dual-sided, perhaps swap the two drives around?

Does it at least show up in Drive Manager as an unformatted volume?

oh yea it shows up, I can even use it as a drive if I want, the software just won't use it