Please review this AMD Build

Hello all, 

So don't really like Intel or nvidia for their business practices and thought I would give AMD a go. I know NVidia and Intel have the upper hand tech wise for now, but ryzen has been a testament to the fight red team still has in them, and I appreciate their lower price point while still getting the job done. Also the vast price difference in GSync vs Freesync and the components required for each. So I'm planning on building this next month, and need it to last roughly 6 years in total. However, I will be stripping out the GPU/CPU/MOBO/Display next year for resell and replacing it when the next AMD GPU series and 7mm CPU come out (I will hopefully not need to upgrade it significantly again after that). Thus these parts are carefully selected for future upgrades. The case, PSU, possibly RAM (depending on DDR5 which is coming who knows when at this point), and SSD (which will be added to) will be kept. Want to see if the community agrees this is a fairly well balanced and designed build, and can offer any suggestions for improvement. Looking to get max settings on all titles (AAA) @60+ FPS 1080p. Also, need suggestions on mouse and keyboard (budget $300 total as both will need to last the full 6 years as well hopefully). All input is much appreciated. Planning on ordering in the next few days and making a build log to show the process and results.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Wg8VLJ
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Wg8VLJ/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($164.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($119.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($144.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($167.99 @ B&H) 
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX VEGA 56 8GB PULSE Video Card  ($404.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT - H700i ATX Mid Tower Case  ($173.16 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($85.98 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: LG - 24MP59G-P 23.8" 1920x1080 75Hz Monitor  ($154.90 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1416.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-25 13:20 EDT-0400

Well, we dont know what specific parts you're gonna get, so we dont know lmao 

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

Just now, lmeneses said:

Well, we dont know what specific parts you're gonna get, so we dont know lmao 

Sorry mate posted it early by accident. Was finishing up editing it when you commented. It's up there now.

2 minutes ago, BSula99 said:

Sorry mate posted it early by accident. Was finishing up editing it when you commented. It's up there now.

Ah, i see now. Its a solid build. Should last for the desired 6 years

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

The build seems good yeah. That display is a little underwhelming for the vega 56, 1440p 144hz would be much more suitable, but if you are waiting for next gen monitors coming next year then getting a cheap monitor now isn't a bad idea also.

Note that you wont have to change your motherboard for the amd 7nm cpus, they should work with the x470 and x370 motherboard.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

That's kind of a waste to choose an NZXT H700i and not go for extra fans or better yet, an AIO. There's so much potential in that case.

I suggest an NZXT Kraken X72 to match the NZXT aesthetic and the possibility of NZXT Aer fans if you can stretch a bit more.

The build itself is well-balanced and will last a long while, all the components are solidly chosen.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

10 minutes ago, BSula99 said:

So don't really like Intel or nvidia for their business practices and thought I would give AMD a go

Trust me man, there are loads of shady business practices on the AMD side, such as switching the marketing for Vega from gaming/content creation to mining or nerfing the RX 560 without changing the name (same as the gt 1030 problem). These are megacorporations that care not for ethics, so it's best to just be unbiased

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

The build seems good yeah. That display is a little underwhelming for the vega 56, 1440p 144hz would be much more suitable, but if you are waiting for next gen monitors coming next year then getting a cheap monitor now isn't a bad idea also.

Note that you wont have to change your motherboard for the amd 7nm cpus, they should work with the x470 and x370 motherboard.

I was not tracking that, appreciate the info. I think I may upgrade to a higher tier board now then rather than resell later. Any suggestions? Also yea it's not utilizing all of its power, but paying an extra $300ish for a better display that will be limited by GPU to only about an extra 15-25 FPS  and will still get replaced by a 144hz 1440p or hopefully 144hz 4k depending on how the next GPU looks and monitor prices seems to be a waste. I'm happy enough with Freesync/IPS and htting that golden 60 FPS for the next year or two.

2 minutes ago, BSula99 said:

I was not tracking that, appreciate the info. I think I may upgrade to a higher tier board now then rather than resell later. Any suggestions? 

No idea about the high tier motherboards. Usually the b450 is fine, i would just wait and see how the cpu performs with your motherboard, and if you are not happy with that then resell and get a new x570 mobo.

8 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Trust me man, there are loads of shady business practices on the AMD side, such as switching the marketing for Vega from gaming/content creation to mining or nerfing the RX 560 without changing the name (same as the gt 1030 problem). These are megacorporations that care not for ethics, so it's best to just be unbiased

True. But also the pricing for GSync vs Freesync is $400+ difference even at just 1080p level. That translates proportionally to higher resolutions and refresh rates and that's a tech tax I'm not willing to pay when this will do the job.

11 minutes ago, seoz said:

That's kind of a waste to choose an NZXT H700i and not go for extra fans or better yet, an AIO. There's so much potential in that case.

I suggest an NZXT Kraken X72 to match the NZXT aesthetic and the possibility of NZXT Aer fans if you can stretch a bit more.

The build itself is well-balanced and will last a long while, all the components are solidly chosen.

I will use either a custom loop or AIO with the next gen when I have an overclockable CPU, but for the 2600 I assume the included cooler will work just fine. Don't want to buy a higher end cooler that might not be compatible with or good enough for the next gen CPU when not needed. I will, however, be adding more fans to this case to be sure.

5 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

No idea about the high tier motherboards. Usually the b450 is fine, i would just wait and see how the cpu performs with your motherboard, and if you are not happy with that then resell and get a new x570 mobo.

Do you anticipate any significant advantages with a 570 over a 470?

32 minutes ago, BSula99 said:

I will use either a custom loop or AIO with the next gen when I have an overclockable CPU, but for the 2600 I assume the included cooler will work just fine. Don't want to buy a higher end cooler that might not be compatible with or good enough for the next gen CPU when not needed. I will, however, be adding more fans to this case to be sure.

I see, good plan there. The 2600's included cooler will be fine, yes.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

36 minutes ago, BSula99 said:

Do you anticipate any significant advantages with a 570 over a 470?

i hope not, my plan is to use my b450 mobo for the r7 3800x also.

It's solid, but I would seriously consider dropping the Vega 56 for a much better value RX 580 (or 570 or 480), especially for a 1080p monitor at no more than 75Hz. It will get the job done for half the money or less, and if you eventually move to 1440p or something else, you would still be paying too much for the performance difference.

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

It's solid, but I would seriously consider dropping the Vega 56 for a much better value RX 580 (or 570 or 480), especially for a 1080p monitor at no more than 75Hz. It will get the job done for half the money or less, and if you eventually move to 1440p or something else, you would still be paying too much for the performance difference.

I've been considering that too. Thinking I may also drop down the CPU a bit to match. Any suggestions for it?

3 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

i hope not, my plan is to use my b450 mobo for the r7 3800x also.

Outstanding, appreciate it. Will post a revised parts list at the end of this thread when satisfied with review. 

9 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Specifically, should I stick with the 2600 or drop to a 3 2200G for a 580?

6 minutes ago, BSula99 said:

I've been considering that too. Thinking I may also drop down the CPU a bit to match. Any suggestions for it?

I would keep the 2600. You would only be dropping cores really, so for less multithreaded games either CPU would match equivalently to the GPU you choose. However, the 6 cores will do better in games that use more than 4 threads, and will probably serve you well for longer (you can always overclock it down the road if needed).

Just now, BSula99 said:

Specifically, should I stick with the 2600 or drop to a 3 2200G for a 580?

Well, the 2200G will also lose SMT (so 4C/4T vs 6C/8T), and some cache. I think that, at the price you posted, the 2600 is the sweet spot for gaming.

Alright after all the input, here is my revised component list. With this one, I will only be replacing the CPU/GPU/Display next year, adding more storage as needed, and an AIO or custom loop down the road. Comments? 

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XRFjq4
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XRFjq4/by_merchant/

Motherboard: Asus - ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi) ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($274.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($193.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($167.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 580 8GB ARMOR OC Video Card  ($238.00 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($85.98 @ Newegg) 
Keyboard: Corsair - K95 RGB PLATINUM Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($164.99 @ Amazon) 
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Proteus Spectrum Wired Optical Mouse  ($49.98 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1668.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-25 18:02 EDT-0400

5 hours ago, BSula99 said:

Alright after all the input, here is my revised component list. With this one, I will only be replacing the CPU/GPU/Display next year, adding more storage as needed, and an AIO or custom loop down the road. Comments? 

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XRFjq4
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XRFjq4/by_merchant/

Motherboard: Asus - ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi) ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($274.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($193.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 580 8GB ARMOR OC Video Card  ($238.00 @ B&H) 
Keyboard: Corsair - K95 RGB PLATINUM Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($164.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1668.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-25 18:02 EDT-0400

not sure why you're spending more on your board than the GPU, you don't need something that high-end. get a cheaper B450 board and use it on a better GPU instead.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: MSI - B450-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($127.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX VEGA 64 8GB Video Card  ($469.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($52.00 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: AOC - AG241QX 23.8" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor  ($259.99 @ Walmart) 
Keyboard: Gigabyte - FORCE K83 Wired Standard Keyboard  ($38.89 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1584.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-25 23:20 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

10 hours ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

not sure why you're spending more on your board than the GPU, you don't need something that high-end. get a cheaper B450 board and use it on a better GPU instead.

I know it is imbalanced, but it is because I will not be upgrading the board again hopefully, however the GPU and CPU will be both upgraded to the top of the line next year.

20 hours ago, BSula99 said:

Build something like this instead....

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: ASRock - X470 Master SLI/AC ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($127.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: ADATA - Ultimate SU650 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($74.39 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($58.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: Asus - Radeon RX 580 8GB DUAL Video Card  ($239.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: NZXT - H500 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($57.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Acer - GN246HL 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor  ($192.99 @ B&H) 
Keyboard: Corsair - STRAFE RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1237.18
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-26 10:10 EDT-0400