1440 or 4k for Xbox One X?

Greetings, Linus-peeps!

So, I'm a long time Master Racer planning to turn Peasant (because Red Dead Redemption 2, dammit). I've set my eyes on the Xbox One X and am on the market for a Freesync monitor to go along with it, but I'm a little unsure as to how exactly its handling of resolution works.

As I've understood it (please correct me if I'm wrong here), the way the 1440p-support works is that it's simply using the 4k-output signal and downscales it to 1440p (or does it upscale the 1080p-output? Or can it do both?). If this is true, how would that affect the framerate? Does this mean that the framerate/frametimes/general framerate stability at 1440p would be pretty much the same as it would at 4k?

I've found a 4k display that seems promising because it also supports HDR, which is one of the things that, for me, speaks to the idea of getting a 4k monitor. The 1440p w. Freesync AND (proper) HDR-segment seems rather limited, at least I haven't found something that looks promising. If you have a suggestion, feel free to share, it would be greatly appreciated. My concern with 4k is the framerate, but if 1440p is simply downscaled 4k, would this not be rendered irrelevant?

Hope I'm making sense and not asking too stupid questions, here. Thanks in advance!

2 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Red Dead Redemption 2 will be released for PC in case you didn't know.

In like 2-5 years, sure. Can't wait that long, lol...

6 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Red Dead Redemption 2 will should be released for PC in case you didn't know.

Rockstar had a statement recently saying it is "absolutely not coming to PC"

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

3 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Rockstar had a statement recently saying it is "absolutely not coming to PC"

That was apparently a mistranslation.

I have a hard time imagining they'd forgo the huge income of the PC market-segment. But it won't happen anytime soon.

But you're derailing from the original point of my post, dammit! xD

Well on PC you need a 1080 Ti  to play @ 4k resolution and don't expect high framerates,  You can do 60fps but not constant, in some situations of the game it will drop to the 40's and perhaps lower.

Now if you have a 2080 GTX then that is a whole different story.  It will handle 4k and high details and sustain 60fps.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

5 hours ago, Tr1ggerHappi said:

So, I'm a long time Master Racer planning to turn Peasant (because Red Dead Redemption 2, dammit). I've set my eyes on the Xbox One X

What else is there you want to play?

Because there are (almost) no exclusives on XBox One. The last worthwile title will be gone in less than a week - Forza Horizon 2.

But don't you want to play Spider-Man or God of War in the Future?

With the XBox you're missing out on those two master pieces. And a couple of others.

As for it coming to PC; it is very likely, especially if it is already on XBox One, wich is essentially a Windows RT derivate...

And PCGamer also agrees that it might be here in another 6 Months or so:

https://www.pcgamer.com/red-dead-redemption-2-pc-release-date/

So I'd either Wait or look at the games available on both consoles that are of interest for you. Well, for XBox one there is literally nothing, except for the mentioned Racing Game I mentioned above and Maybe Halo Master Chief Collection. But that's about it. Gears of War 4 is available on PC, as is all of the formerly exclusives games like Quantum Break. It pretty much looks like a rather dead console, sadly.

And you're missing out on Detroit - Become Human, Spider-Man, God of War and a ton of other games that are not on XBox and neither on PC...

5 hours ago, Tr1ggerHappi said:

In like 2-5 years, sure. Can't wait that long, lol...

No, in about 6 Months or so.

If it didn't drop then, you should worry...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

5 hours ago, Turtle Rig said:

Well on PC you need a 1080 Ti  to play @ 4k resolution and don't expect high framerates,  You can do 60fps but not constant, in some situations of the game it will drop to the 40's and perhaps lower.

Consoles are still at 30fps for most of the stuff. Some Games have a Performance or 60fps mode but not all (or even most)...

So the 40fps would still be faster than consoles...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I believe it's going to just take the game's output and scale it to 1440p, whether it be lower than or higher than that resolution. If a game runs at native 1440p, I think it'll actually display at native.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

It looks like 1440p output is available on Xbox One.

What the native resolution is depends on the game. Non-X enhanced games are going to be 1080p at best (900p seems common). X enhanced games usually give you multiple graphics modes, so it'll depend on what you choose there. Resolution modes will typically be higher than 1080p so those will be up/downscaled to 1440p.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/adjust-display-settings

yeah, please, do not torch this members thread with your arguing can take it up in PM, otherwise stap between yourselves and let it to the OP.

anymore and will have to render account issues.

10 minutes ago, airdeano said:

yeah, please, do not torch this members thread with your arguing can take it up in PM, otherwise stap between yourselves and let it to the OP.

anymore and will have to render account issues.

Literally all I did was say that the Xbox has features the PSPro doesn't though... It'll run games at native 4k, has graphics options, optimizations above the base model and PSPro, supports 120 hz.

#Muricaparrotgang