hey i just built a budget computer for my friend

Damnkid

so i just built this lga 1156 computer for my firend because im moving away i know it sounds like im a super wanna be linus on scrap yard wars but im serious. i just built this lga 1156 with a gtx 970, 8gb of ram and i wanna make sure my motherboard works  i dont have a cpu yet i wanna make sure this motherboard works before i spend the money on a cpu  is there a way i can turn it on and have the lights turn on and the gpu fan spin  and the 4 ther fans turn on without a cpu? PLZ HELP 

You won't be able to make it POST without a CPU.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

12 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

You won't be able to make it POST without a CPU.

i know i cant make it post bust is there a way i can make the gpy and the the case fans spin and can i get the rgb lights to light up with out the cpu @bleedblue

have you tried pressing the power button?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Hello Damnkid,

Try plugging gpu, LEDs and fans into your system. I don't think a mobo will even generate beep codes without a cpu.

-CancelShredWasted

5 minutes ago, Arika S said:

have you tried pressing the power button?

yes i did but if there is anything you can think of itll be greatly appreciated @Arika S

5 minutes ago, CancelShredWasted said:

Hello Damnkid,

Try plugging gpu, LEDs and fans into your system. I don't think a mobo will even generate beep codes without a cpu.

-CancelShredWasted

@CancelShredWasted i plugged everything in but nothing turns, if i can get my leds to turn on ill be happy thats all i want if you have any ideas that'll be gratefully appreciated 

3 minutes ago, Damnkid said:

yes i did but if there is anything you can think of itll be greatly appreciated @Arika S

what's the motherboard? it completely depends on what model it is as to whether or not it will boot in any capacity without a CPU. some will and give you a beep code, others will not, if it doesn't then there not going to be any way of testing it without a CPU

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

well right now i threw a z87m oc formula and a intel 1156 motherboard  i been switching inbetween i just wanna know that everthing is working before i buy a cpu @Arika S

3 minutes ago, Arika S said:

what's the motherboard? it completely depends on what model it is as to whether or not it will boot in any capacity without a CPU. some will and give you a beep code, others will not, if it doesn't then there not going to be any way of testing it without a CPU

Hello,

It didn't do anything when it was wired up and you attempted to power on with no cpu? Even with no cpu it should at least turn on fans. Try removing ram and gpu and see what happens. Inspect board and make sure there is no obstructions that could short it. I have done this numerous times with older boards and it did not damage any of them, fans would spin and all ports where powered except audio and USB. Floppies and IDE drives would still spin up.

-CancelShredWasted