Building an all in one system inside a crt television

JediWombat
Go to solution Solved by comicsansms,
7 minutes ago, JediWombat said:

I was thinking maybe doing a 16:9 monitor and a custom panel with 5.25” drive bays maybe, would that be a good idea?

Yeah, that'd work. I reckon cut up some acrylic sheets to size, and that'd look pretty good. You can (usually) remove the monitor's bezels, they usually have a metal casing to hold the monitor together, and the plastic is just for aesthetic reasons.

Also I don’t mean to be mean but it’s measure 55 cm by 41.5 cm which is around 4:3 ratio.

Yeah, you are right, and I should have been able to tell by looking at it. That suprises me, probably was cheaper to make 1 model of TV tube for multiple markets (and it's TLC, so it would have been reasonably cheap) and tbf, a lot of what the TV stations aired US shows anyway, so you aren't loosing much.

Currently try to mod a disassembled crt television to turn it into an all in one system. The tv has a 4:3 ratio of around 27 inches (without bezel) but I’ve had no luck in finding a display of that size. Any ideas for alternatives or places to get the screen.

any help would be appreciated, I live in Australia for context.

8397FB15-CFA8-41EC-B161-193F8730BAA6.jpeg

Yeah, I think you are wrong about the TV aspect ratio. It's PAL, so it'll be standard definition 576i, or 5:4.

And you aren't going to find a large 5:4 (or 4:3) LCD monitor, maybe an early LCD or plasma TV (it'll be low resolution), but definitely not a monitor.

1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Yeah, I think you are wrong about the TV aspect ratio. It's PAL, so it'll be standard definition 576i, or 5:4.

And you aren't going to find a large 5:4 (or 4:3) LCD monitor, maybe an early LCD or plasma TV (it'll be low resolution), but definitely not a monitor.

I was thinking maybe doing a 16:9 monitor and a custom panel with 5.25” drive bays maybe, would that be a good idea? Also I don’t mean to be mean but it’s measure 55 cm by 41.5 cm which is around 4:3 ratio.

thank you for your comment

I was thinking maybe doing a 16:9 monitor and a custom panel with 5.25” drive bays maybe, would that be a good idea?

Yeah, that'd work. I reckon cut up some acrylic sheets to size, and that'd look pretty good. You can (usually) remove the monitor's bezels, they usually have a metal casing to hold the monitor together, and the plastic is just for aesthetic reasons.

Also I don’t mean to be mean but it’s measure 55 cm by 41.5 cm which is around 4:3 ratio.

Yeah, you are right, and I should have been able to tell by looking at it. That suprises me, probably was cheaper to make 1 model of TV tube for multiple markets (and it's TLC, so it would have been reasonably cheap) and tbf, a lot of what the TV stations aired US shows anyway, so you aren't loosing much.