Switching from AMD to Intel

Fehya

Hi, I finally decided to sign up for this forum so I can hopefully get a broader source of help with something iv'e been debating for a few months now.

I currently have an AMD Athlon x4 845, and it does its job for the most part, but I wanted to switch over to and intel board and cpu. I'm asking because nothing, anywhere, gives me a good answer. I don't mind spending a smooth 100$ for a cpu, but I need something that can perform heavy multitasking and some light gaming. and i'm kinda stuck using ddr3 memory since that's all I got and i'm too stubborn to upgrade. I could really use some suggestions as to what would be my best bet. And if this is the wrong area to ask this i'm sorry ;-;

Well Welcome to the forum Fehya!

And intel has allot of good older cpu's for under 100$
a Xeon x5670 or x5680 can be found for well under 100$ (I got my x5670 for 43$) and those old x58 motherboards are solid overclockers, and being a 6 core 12 thread server cpu they can handle a load very well,
But to keep up with the latest games and resolutions overclocking them is a good choice. these cpu's use the lga1366 socket and usually run ddr3 ram @1333mhz 

Even some older i7 cpu's can be really good. but its hard to beat a xeons price
PS: I love the profile pic :3

Server Rig Specs~
Motherboard: S5520hc Cpu's: two Xeon x5670's @3.3 ghz  Ram: Kingston ddr3 24gigs @1333mhz Psu: Evga Gq1000 Coolers: 2 hyper 212evo Hdd: 2 1tb hdd's Case: Corsair 400c

Gaming Pc Specs~
Motherboard: Asus rog maxumis viii gene Cpu: Skylake i7 6700k @ 4.2ghz Ram: Corsair dominator platinum 32gigs @ 2666mhz Psu: Corsair 1200i Cooler: Corsair 105i Hdd: 5tb wd black Case: Corsair 350d Os: Windows 10 home

Haswell Core i5 or i7 is gonna be your best option. You can usually find a motherboard and CPU bundle for around 100 USD.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

4 minutes ago, Fluffy Zyox said:

Well Welcome to the forum Fehya!

And intel has allot of good older cpu's for under 100$
a Xeon x5670 or x5680 can be found for well under 100$ (I got my x5670 for 43$) and those old x58 motherboards are solid overclockers, and being a 6 core 12 thread server cpu they can handle a load very well,
But to keep up with the latest games and resolutions overclocking them is a good choice. these cpu's use the lga1366 socket and usually run ddr3 ram @1333mhz 

Even some older i7 cpu's can be really good. but its hard to beat a xeons price
PS: I love the profile pic :3

ah ok, I was assuming a xeon would be the next viable option. and thx, it's an adopt I bought recently, her name is Sonyea ^w^

13 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Haswell Core i5 or i7 is gonna be your best option. You can usually find a motherboard and CPU bundle for around 100 USD.

Man I hear about these deals all the time, I would love to find one someday.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

49 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Man I hear about these deals all the time, I would love to find one someday.

I see them somewhat often on my Craigslist.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Craigslist must be dead in my area then, I never see any good tech stuff

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I unfortunately do not have access to craigslist. and after looking through budget cpu's a pentium g5400 is what seems to be my best bet unless someone has a surprise 100$ cpu in the next hour

1 minute ago, Fehya said:

I unfortunately do not have access to craigslist. and after looking through budget cpu's a pentium g5400 is what seems to be my best bet unless someone has a surprise 100$ cpu in the next hour

Ah, that would be a problem.

I would look for a used server at that point. If you can get one on the LGA 1366 socket, you can reuse your current drives and memory(assuming it'll run without ECC memory).

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Craigslist must be dead in my area then, I never see any good tech stuff

I've found some surprisingly good deals, such as a Titan X Pascal for $750. The GPUs were really reasonably priced, even during the height of the mining craze.

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Ah, that would be a problem.

I would look for a used server at that point. If you can get one on the LGA 1366 socket, you can reuse your current drives and memory(assuming it'll run without ECC memory).

I've found some surprisingly good deals, such as a Titan X Pascal for $750. The GPUs were really reasonably priced, even during the height of the mining craze.

i run ballistix ddr3 at 2133mhz if that means anything at all

Server Rig Specs~
Motherboard: S5520hc Cpu's: two Xeon x5670's @3.3 ghz  Ram: Kingston ddr3 24gigs @1333mhz Psu: Evga Gq1000 Coolers: 2 hyper 212evo Hdd: 2 1tb hdd's Case: Corsair 400c

Gaming Pc Specs~
Motherboard: Asus rog maxumis viii gene Cpu: Skylake i7 6700k @ 4.2ghz Ram: Corsair dominator platinum 32gigs @ 2666mhz Psu: Corsair 1200i Cooler: Corsair 105i Hdd: 5tb wd black Case: Corsair 350d Os: Windows 10 home

Just now, Fehya said:

i run ballistix ddr3 at 2133mhz if that means anything at all

That's fine. As long as it'll take DDR3, it'll physically work. Some boards are picky about ECC memory though, since they rely on thermal sensors that are only present on ECC memory sticks.

3 minutes ago, Fehya said:

and that motherboard is just standard atx? like i can just order an atx sized case for it?

It should just be your standard Atx motherboard, its a very common size, so allot of cases accept it! ^,...,^

Server Rig Specs~

Gaming Pc Specs~

Hyper 212, its the cheapest and best option for lga1366... it fits nearly everything :)

Server Rig Specs~

Gaming Pc Specs~

Purchase something like this....

1. Xeon X5690 - Probably the best Xeon processor in the x58 lineup. With 6c/12t as an added bonus. It can be had fr around $100

https://www.ebay.com/bhp/xeon-x5690

2. X58 motherboard - They go around fr about $100. 

https://www.ebay.com/bhp/lga-1366

3. Cpu cooler - Purchase something like a cryorig h7, thermalright macho

7 minutes ago, SHROUD said:

Purchase something like this....

1. Xeon X5690 - Probably the best Xeon processor in the x58 lineup. With 6c/12t as an added bonus. It can be had fr around $100

https://www.ebay.com/bhp/xeon-x5690

2. X58 motherboard - They go around fr about $100. 

https://www.ebay.com/bhp/lga-1366

3. Cpu cooler - Purchase something like a cryorig h7, thermalright macho

this already puts me over 200$, no thanks

Just now, SHROUD said:

Didn't u ask fr a cpu fr about $100??

and motherboard, all together, about 100-150$ not 100 for each, something super budget

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

iv'e been able to really narrow down my results, but most of the "budget" cpu's are only ddr4 compatible, and I might end up dealing with an amd ryzen 3 2200g. but i need ddr4 memory for that, and i don't have the ability to spend an extra 80$ on 8gb