Running through 2 rads?

Go to solution Solved by Dissitesuxba11s,

It's a thing. Also, loop order doesn't matter. 

Also,

Q: Loop order

A: People often wonder if loop order is important in the design and layout. Not really is the simple answer. A water cooling loop is exactly that, a closed loop. Water is being pushed and pulled and once your system is up and running, the temperature difference at any one point may be only a degree or two. The only general recommendation is to mount things so the reservoir outlet feeds the inlet of the pump. This prevents the pump from running dry and also helps to collect air during the priming and stop it from being recirculated (just ensure the outlet is mounted higher the the pump inlet).

I was planning to build my first custom water loop where i cool both the cpu and gpu, and wanted to know if running it through the first rad into the cpu to a second rad to the gpu is a thing? or is the temperature increase from cpu to gpu insignificant?

It's a thing. Also, loop order doesn't matter. 

Also,

Q: Loop order

A: People often wonder if loop order is important in the design and layout. Not really is the simple answer. A water cooling loop is exactly that, a closed loop. Water is being pushed and pulled and once your system is up and running, the temperature difference at any one point may be only a degree or two. The only general recommendation is to mount things so the reservoir outlet feeds the inlet of the pump. This prevents the pump from running dry and also helps to collect air during the priming and stop it from being recirculated (just ensure the outlet is mounted higher the the pump inlet).

Basically...the temperature doesn't have time to heat the water fast enough between the CPU to the GPU, or vice-versa, before that heat gets absorbed and taken away. It takes time, something like a half hour for the water temperature to equalize. The water doesn't get superheated by the components, the process doesn't work that fast. You might see something like a half degree difference based on loop order. It's not enough to matter.

Then, all of the water gets cooled by the radiators and fans, and back to the compinents. The cooling works the same way; the fans and radiators doesn't supercool the water. It's not like it's 20 degrees cooler on the outlet of the radiators. It's a slow balancing act.

Intel i7 8700k | Asus ROG Strix Z370-I | NVidia RTX 2070 Super Reference | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz x 32GB | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD | Custom Loop | Corsair RMx 850w Gold | Phanteks Evolv iTX TG (modded) | Acer Predator XB1

6 hours ago, DBen358 said:

or is the temperature increase from cpu to gpu insignificant?

It's ~1°C which is not much. With high pump speeds it might be even less.

Do what would be cleanest for routing or best for draining. Last thing you want is a system of tubes for the sake of a 1c diffence that you yourself can’t measure or see. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz