Do I actually need MSI Fast Boot?

I mean, it doesn't even start until my PC has booted! And it seems pretty quick already (it boots in 15 secs).

Most importantly I'm VERY apprehensive about anything that can interfere with the BIOS.

19 minutes ago, Jai-Jai said:

mean, it doesn't even start until my PC has booted! And it seems pretty quick already (it boots in 15 secs).

it optimizes processes that starts with the pc, you can do it manually in task manager, it doesn't need to boot before os to do it

my suggestion for MSI products: the moment you get them out the box, ram a windows 10 usb stick in there and wipe ALL that shit..

its faster to reinstall windows + drivers + do windows updates, than it is to sanitize some MSI products.

they make great products, but among my selection of bloatware i'd prefer not to find an SQL server..

33 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

No. Its bloatware as are most msi apps.

16 minutes ago, wojtepanik said:

it optimizes processes that starts with the pc, you can do it manually in task manager, it doesn't need to boot before os to do it

Guys, please at least know what you're talking about before giving advice on it.

36 minutes ago, Jai-Jai said:

I mean, it doesn't even start until my PC has booted! And it seems pretty quick already (it boots in 15 secs).

Most importantly I'm VERY apprehensive about anything that can interfere with the BIOS.

Technically not but I'll explain its purpose first.

UEFI fast boot has 2 modes, enabled mode (sometimes called normal mode) and fast mode (so essentially fast fast boot).

Enabled mode is normal fast boot mode, from a warm restart it allows the UEFI to skip some checks and boot faster.

Fast mode is enabled mode however it also skips the POST screen entirely meaning your computer boots even faster but you have no way of entering UEFI firmware (as it skips the screen where you press the hotkey).

The MSI Fastboot app allows you to reboot into UEFI Firmware directly from Windows without needing to press a hotkey so should you have fast mode enabled you can still access UEFI. Thing is Windows has the function built in, just hold down Left Shift then click Start > Power > Restart and Windows will show you a restart menu with the option to reboot into UEFI.

FYI Secure Boot will protect your UEFI from being interfered with by anything except you. The app doesn't interfere with the UEFI, it simply sends a command to the EFI shell telling it to load firmware on next restart.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

7 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Guys, please at least know what you're talking about before giving advice on it.

Technically not but I'll explain its purpose first.

UEFI fast boot has 2 modes, enabled mode (sometimes called normal mode) and fast mode (so essentially fast fast boot).

Enabled mode is normal fast boot mode, from a warm restart it allows the UEFI to skip some checks and boot faster.

Fast mode is enabled mode however it also skips the POST screen entirely meaning your computer boots even faster but you have no way of entering UEFI firmware (as it skips the screen where you press the hotkey).

The MSI Fastboot app allows you to reboot into UEFI Firmware directly from Windows without needing to press a hotkey so should you have fast mode enabled you can still access UEFI. Thing is Windows has the function built in, just hold down Left Shift then click Start > Power > Restart and Windows will show you a restart menu with the option to reboot into UEFI.

FYI Secure Boot will protect your UEFI from being interfered with by anything except you. The app doesn't interfere with the UEFI, it simply sends a command to the EFI shell telling it to load firmware on next restart.

I do know what im talking about. MSI Fastboot is basically a bloatware. Ive use it on two MSI machines and both times its a buggy pos and doesnt properly work compared to if you normally turn on fast boot. Its pretty crap and it comes with the bloatware package of apps on most MSI laptops and you can choose to install some as well.

1 hour ago, Shimejii said:

I do know what im talking about. MSI Fastboot is basically a bloatware. Ive use it on two MSI machines and both times its a buggy pos and doesnt properly work compared to if you normally turn on fast boot. Its pretty crap and it comes with the bloatware package of apps on most MSI laptops and you can choose to install some as well.

Except, as the quoted post explains, it doesn't turn on fast boot.

I'm not disagree with you either, just saying it's best not to give advice on something you don't understand.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)