Help

IBM_THINKPAD_R51

Hello, I have an Xbox controller, and when when i wired it up to my Windows 10 and windows 7 computer, it works fine.

However when i turn the controller on and put it into pairing mode via that little black button on the front, No bluetooth device i have can connect to it. (ive tried 2 laptops and 2 phones (andriod))

how can i fix this.

Note: it does not even ask for a pin like other people claim it does, it just out-right fails.

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Are you sure it's one of the Bluetooth models? 

XboxOne-vs-XboxOne.jpg

Its a Black Xbox One controller and on the front it has a small button and when i press it two faint red lights flash rapidly and the White xbox logo flashes rapidly too.

Just now, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

Its a Black Xbox One controller and on the front it has a small button and when i press it two faint red lights flash rapidly and the White xbox logo flashes rapidly too.

If it's an Xbox One controller, it likely won't have Bluetooth. The Xbox One S controller is the Bluetooth one I believe. 

Check your controller compared to the image on the right to see if it looks the same and matches the description. 

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Are you sure it's one of the Bluetooth models? 

XboxOne-vs-XboxOne.jpg

i see its bluetooth Hardware ID on the other bluetooth devices but if fails to connect

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

If it's an Xbox One controller, it likely won't have Bluetooth. The Xbox One S controller is the Bluetooth one I believe. 

Check your controller compared to the image on the right to see if it looks the same and matches the description. 

its the original one, but i still see it, does that mean microsoft blocked it from connecting or something?

Just now, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

its the original one, but i still see it, does that mean microsoft blocked it from connecting or something?

No, there just never was a Bluetooth transmitter in the original. 

You can try updating your Bluetooth drivers on the PC and also see if you can see the controller in devices and printers rather than adding through the Bluetooth menu. 

If it's the same as the controller in the left of the image I posted, then it doesn't have Bluetooth. Not sure why you'd see the controller there. Maybe if you've already connected to the PC via USB at one point it may show up. 

Take the battery cover off, take the batteries out and check for "Model xxxx" the x's all being numbers. 

Is it 1708? If so, it should have bluetooth. Otherwise; it doesn't have bluetooth. The picture shown above is a way to recognize if it has bluetooth too. On the front of the controller you have an Xbox logo. To the left and right of that; is it glossy or matte plastic? The older models are glossy, the newer ones are matte. 

Either way, you need that Microsoft adapter or your cable to connect it to a PC/laptop if it's not a 1708. If it is a 1708, it should have bluetooth. Just pressing the pair button will put it in pair mode and should just be picked up by your device.

Don't get your hopes up with Android devices though, they only ever officially supported Gear VR stuff, which I believe is only Samsung stuff. So on later firmware versions of your controller, it just won't pair. Although in Android 8.0 there should be Xbox One controller support again.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Take the battery cover off, take the batteries out and check for "Model xxxx" the x's all being numbers. 

Is it 1708? If so, it should have bluetooth. Otherwise; it doesn't have bluetooth. The picture shown above is a way to recognize if it has bluetooth too. On the front of the controller you have an Xbox logo. To the left and right of that; is it glossy or matte plastic? The older models are glossy, the newer ones are matte. 

Either way, you need that Microsoft adapter or your cable to connect it to a PC/laptop if it's not a 1708. If it is a 1708, it should have bluetooth. Just pressing the pair button will put it in pair mode and should just be picked up by your device.

Don't get your hopes up with Android devices though, they only ever officially supported Gear VR stuff, which I believe is only Samsung stuff. So on later firmware versions of your controller, it just won't pair. Although in Android 8.0 there should be Xbox One controller support again.

I couldnt find a model number anywhere, but it is glossy. So if mine does not support bluetooth, then why is the pair button there and why can i see its Bluetooth Hardware ID on all my devices (I have no other bluetooth devices to conflict with it or whatever)

Also i noticed in task manager ther is a device called bluetooth peripheral device and it says it cannot find a driver, i think this is the controller.

2 minutes ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

I couldnt find a model number anywhere, but it is glossy. So if mine does not support bluetooth, then why is the pair button there and why can i see its Bluetooth Hardware ID on all my devices (I have no other bluetooth devices to conflict with it or whatever)

The pair button is for pairing it with either a Microsoft Windows wireless adapter, or your Xbox One. You might move from one adapter to another.. To a console, to a different console, etc. which is why they have the pair button (so you can easily pair it to a different supported device).

And I don't know about that second thing, as noted here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_One_controller

The revisions with the glossy plastic are models without bluetooth.

You can find your model number here:

Spoiler

IMG_5199-e1456941580115.jpg

This is behind the batteries in the battery compartment, on the left side in the middle roughly.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

The pair button is for pairing it with either a Microsoft Windows wireless adapter, or your Xbox One. You might move from one adapter to another.. To a console, to a different console, etc. which is why they have the pair button (so you can easily pair it to a different supported device).

And I don't know about that second thing, as noted here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_One_controller

The revisions with the glossy plastic are models without bluetooth.

You can find your model number here:

Hide contents

IMG_5199-e1456941580115.jpg

This is behind the batteries in the battery compartment, on the left side in the middle roughly.

i dont have that sticker lol, anyway thanks