Xmas/Birthday present.

So i turn 18 on february 15th, and i have been thinking of asking for a combination gift between christmas and my birthday. I want a new laptop to replace my 2011 Macbook air 11.6". Ive been thinking about a newer macbook, meaning 2016 or 17, but i really dont want to adopt the dongle life, especially when i dont have an iphone to pair it with. I have a galaxy s9+. i want this machine to be pretty powerful, i wanna be able to play some games on it (league of legends, fortnite) i wanna be able to record/stream as well. i DO NOT want the gamer-esque looks. i want something casual looking.

This laptop is going to have to last me a few years (3 or 4)

i want some ideas. nothing more than like $1500, preferably $1000

also been possibly looking at the latest macbook air model (2015?) that still has usable I/O

"If you gon be bout it, be bout it bout it" ~ Gavin 'itsjusta6' Simon

I play games - Look at my profile for specs

I love memes. I make bad memes, but I like dank memes, who doesn't?

I am good at editing videos and pictures, feel free to message me if you would like some work done.

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

1 minute ago, georgech900 said:

Do you want a laptop or would a pc still be acceptable? Personally, i would stay away from macs, i personally don't like the apple ecosystem and i think they price things more than its worth.

https://laptop.ninja/finding-the-best-gaming-laptops-under-1000-dollars/

Check out that website for some great laptops under $1000

i actually have a pretty well built desktop. R5 1600x 16gb ddr4 6gb 980ti. I plan to use this for college and travel, so a laptop is a must.

I am good at editing videos and pictures, feel free to message me if you would like some work done.

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

Just now, Chaos Network said:

i actually have a pretty well built desktop. R5 1600x 16gb ddr4 6gb 980ti. I plan to use this for college and travel, so a laptop is a must.

OoH i like that setup!

I have a 1050ti which dosen't quite match that nice 980ti!

but yeah check out that link i sent some look pretty good with 1060s which i'd say matches your powerful want.

Just now, georgech900 said:

OoH i like that setup!

I have a 1050ti which dosen't quite match that nice 980ti!

but yeah check out that link i sent some look pretty good with 1060s which i'd say matches your powerful want.

if you check my original post again, i added some info

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

Just now, Chaos Network said:

Oh i see, casual looking hmm i take a look 4 u

9 minutes ago, Chaos Network said:

Ok so having looked, https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-Notebook-GeForce-Windows-NP900X5T-X01US/dp/B078G1BG1L/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1537378148&sr=1-1&keywords=samsung+notebook the samsung note book https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Notebook-NP940X5M-X01US-i7-7500U-Keyboard/dp/B076V63MQX/ref=pd_sbs_147_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B076V63MQX&pd_rd_r=89ac2662-bc31-11e8-bec8-475d0372adf1&pd_rd_w=DbcP0&pd_rd_wg=GCmKr&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=0bb14103-7f67-4c21-9b0b-31f42dc047e7&pf_rd_r=BMN0FC64JXAQV0ZS1PSA&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=BMN0FC64JXAQV0ZS1PSA or the pro looks best for you!

You can get fortnite to play at 60fps lowest , idk if that matters much considering this isn't your main gaming rig. It also looks super casual and would go perfectly with that mighty fine s9+. Though idk if it goes well with the "pretty powerfull"

If you already have a desktop is there any reason you need a laptop that can game?  I'd highly suggest going for something that is more portable and has a nicer keyboard/screen experience over raw power.  Another note is that I also was very hesitant to move to laptops with less IO, but honestly it hasn't been a huge deal for me and I have basically never needed to use a dongle even though I daily a Surface Laptop (1x USB A, 1x Mini-DP, that's it).

The laptops that I would recommend the most are the Surface Laptop, LG Gram 13". and the Dell XPS 15.  Given you are looking for a bit more power, maybe getting the Dell XPS 15 model with the GTX 1050Ti is the best option. It lands in your price range, has excellent build quality, an awesome screen and is reasonably portable.

DON'T GET THE MACBOOK AIR. Until it's refreshed it's a huge waste of money on super old hardware.

1 hour ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

If you already have a desktop is there any reason you need a laptop that can game?  I'd highly suggest going for something that is more portable and has a nicer keyboard/screen experience over raw power.  Another note is that I also was very hesitant to move to laptops with less IO, but honestly it hasn't been a huge deal for me and I have basically never needed to use a dongle even though I daily a Surface Laptop (1x USB A, 1x Mini-DP, that's it).

The laptops that I would recommend the most are the Surface Laptop, LG Gram 13". and the Dell XPS 15.  Given you are looking for a bit more power, maybe getting the Dell XPS 15 model with the GTX 1050Ti is the best option. It lands in your price range, has excellent build quality, an awesome screen and is reasonably portable.

DON'T GET THE MACBOOK AIR. Until it's refreshed it's a huge waste of money on super old hardware.

I want something with power, because I plan to use it to game on my travels, and for editing and rendering videos.

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

58 minutes ago, Chaos Network said:

I want something with power, because I plan to use it to game on my travels, and for editing and rendering videos.

This Dell XPS is my vote then.  It has 6 core i7 and a GTX 1050Ti so it should be able to chew though editing and rendering, plus the build quality stuff I said before.

2 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

This Dell XPS is my vote then.  It has 6 core i7 and a GTX 1050Ti so it should be able to chew though editing and rendering, plus the build quality stuff I said before.

Woah its AlexTheGreatish. Lmao. Thanks for advice/help. I'll be looking more into most of these. 

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

2 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

How does that one fare for I/O, have you guys done a video on it?

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

55 minutes ago, Chaos Network said:

How does that one fare for I/O, have you guys done a video on it?

Here you go.  The new version has an updated CPU but everything else is basically the same.

19 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Here you go.  The new version has an updated CPU but everything else is basically the same.

Sweet! Thanks!

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

XPS 15 has many issues

Where are your from? Preferred max weight and minimum battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 minute ago, GeneXiS_X said:

XPS 15 has many issues

Where are your from? Preferred max weight and minimum battery life?

I'm from Minnesota, USA. Dont really care about either. Just as long as I'm not carrying a brick. Almost anything will be heavier than what I have right now, and I've accepted that. As for battery life, idk, doesnt really matter to me, I usually carry a charger with me. But let's just say 4 hour minimum. 

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

1 minute ago, Chaos Network said:

Just as long as I'm not carrying a brick

At least you can give me a range. There are many possible options

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 minute ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

How familiar are you with Ryzen laptops?
Seems like it could be nearly perfect

Not at all. I know they exist, but that's it. Lmao

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

41 minutes ago, Chaos Network said:

I'm from Minnesota, USA. Dont really care about either. Just as long as I'm not carrying a brick. Almost anything will be heavier than what I have right now, and I've accepted that. As for battery life, idk, doesnt really matter to me, I usually carry a charger with me. But let's just say 4 hour minimum. 

also what the hell is with all these Minnesotans coming out of the woodworks?

It feels weird seeing more people from this stupid state, don't get me wrong. I've lived my entire 18 years here and it has a soft spot to me but it's definitely weird seeing more Minnesotans on here

for the longest time I only knew of one other Minnesotan on here lol

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Just now, pinksnowbirdie said:

also what the hell is with all these Minnesotans coming out of the woodworks?

It feels weird seeing more people from this stupid state, don't get me wrong. I've lived my entire 18 years here and it has a soft spot to me but it's definitely weird seeing more Minnesotans on here

for the longest time I only knew of one other Minnesotan on here lol

I've been here awhile, obviously not as active or as long as you but eh, lol

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

1 minute ago, Chaos Network said:

Not at all. I know they exist, but that's it. Lmao

ah alright lol

Well for lighter games like LoL which I presume is about as tasking as TF2 but better optimized, a Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 7 laptop would be perfect. They go from around $700 to $1000+ depending what you're getting from who, when and where.

I can't really speak for the performance of fortnite because most of the benches I've seen don't cover it really and I don't really have an idea of how it performs on lower end hardware because I tried it once on my rig but that's a Ryzen 7 1700 and RX 470...

Depending on budget though, maybe look into a laptop in a slimmer profile with a coffee lake i5 and GTX 1050 or MX150 (equivalent to the GT 1030)

2 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

ah alright lol

Well for lighter games like LoL which I presume is about as tasking as TF2 but better optimized, a Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 7 laptop would be perfect. They go from around $700 to $1000+ depending what you're getting from who, when and where.

I can't really speak for the performance of fortnite because most of the benches I've seen don't cover it really and I don't really have an idea of how it performs on lower end hardware because I tried it once on my rig but that's a Ryzen 7 1700 and RX 470...

Depending on budget though, maybe look into a laptop in a slimmer profile with a coffee lake i5 and GTX 1050 or MX150 (equivalent to the GT 1030)

Ryzen sounds nice, and cheaper, but I'm really liking the look of that XPS 15 Alex posted above 

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

6 minutes ago, Chaos Network said:

Ryzen sounds nice, and cheaper, but I'm really liking the look of that XPS 15 Alex posted above 

alright lol, well I suppose it'd help if I gave an example of a Ryzen laptop.

c05981447.png

c05981584.pngc05981502.png

this one kicks off at $800 https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-x360-15z-touch-laptop-3ec81av-1

I know older XPS laptops were better though I hear the current gen is a bit less than ideal

Maybe a used or refurbished mac would be a decent choice depending what configuration you went for

I personally want to get one of these myself when I hope to start college in the spring semester, just going to a local community college for generals