Upgrade advice on brand new gaming build

Callum1808
Go to solution Solved by iBabySlapper,
27 minutes ago, Callum1808 said:

Hello this my first time on this forum so apoligies in advance if I do something wrong.

Ok so this is my current pc:

Operating system - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

CPU - Intel Core i7 930 @ 2.80GHz

RAM - 10GB Triple Channel DDR3 @ 534MHz

Motherboard - ASUSTeK Computer INC. P6X58D-E

GPU - Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 2047MB

Monitor - BenQ GW2760 (1920x1080@60Hz)

Storage - 931GB SAMSUNG HD103SJ ATA Device (SATA)
59GB Crucial c300-CTF DDAC064MAG SCSI Disk drive (SSD)

PSU - EVGA supernova gold 600-650w 

I got it when I was younger off a friend and the only parts I had to replace/add are the psu and bit of RAM so in my new build I think I’m going to keep the psu.

So I have been saving a little and right now I have around £350 but I could get a bit more by selling my old parts, This is the build I have come up with so far so let me know if it’s any good :

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ChFRkd
Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ChFRkd/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  (£142.48 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: MSI - X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£119.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£136.79 @ Aria PC) 
Total: £399.25
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-18 22:25 BST+0100

i may move HDD over and get new SSD. For GPU I have been advised to use it for awhile in my new build then upgrade when I can afford a good one any advice would be great.

Also: I’m in year 11 so my budget is pretty flexible as I can save long term while doing exams.

I want to be able to play games like rust and arma 3 on high settings.

I will probably re use my antec 900 case (not sure)

i may upgrade monitor in future to 120+ hz but still stay 1080p.

I want a build that will last a while  and I am unsure what OS to get.

Thanks for any help and advice if you need further information just ask and i will reply when I can.

If I were you I'd definitely buy an SSD and put windows on it. Even a 120gb is fine, trust me it'll make a massive difference.

I'd also buy a windows key off ebay to save every buck you can. They're usually around £3 and they should work.

Also, unless you badly want senseMi, I wouldn't bother with that motherboard. The VRM for the cheaper X470 boards are identical or very similar to the B450 boards, so you might as well save some money here if you can.

Make sure your memory is on the QVL of the motherboard you end up choosing. I learnt this the hard way last year with Ryzen.

You could probably afford a GPU upgrade when you sell your old parts. I'd recommend looking on CEX for used GPUs, since it's the only way of getting cheap used cards with warranty.

Hello this my first time on this forum so apoligies in advance if I do something wrong.

I got it when I was younger off a friend and the only parts I had to replace/add are the psu and bit of RAM so in my new build I think I’m going to keep the psu.

So I have been saving a little and right now I have around £350 but I could get a bit more by selling my old parts, This is the build I have come up with so far so let me know if it’s any good :

Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ChFRkd/by_merchant/

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£136.79 @ Aria PC) 

i may move HDD over and get new SSD. For GPU I have been advised to use it for awhile in my new build then upgrade when I can afford a good one any advice would be great.

Also: I’m in year 11 so my budget is pretty flexible as I can save long term while doing exams.

Thanks for any help and advice if you need further information just ask and i will reply when I can.

Hi, interestingly i'm just in the process of upgrading a PC with the same CPU and motherboard. I have bought a Core i7-980X for £119 off ebay, with that chip some better RAM and SSD your and a few easy over clocking tweeks, your existing system should be able to do what you want, leaving you to keep saving for a new rig.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-980X Extreme Edition 3.33GHz 6-Core Processor  (£600.00 @ Amazon UK) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£103.99 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: Asus - P6X58-E PRO ATX LGA1366 Motherboard 
Memory: Kingston - Beast 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory 
Memory: Kingston - Beast 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory 
Storage: Kingston - SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Crucial - M500 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 690 4GB Video Card 
Case: Corsair - 600T Mesh (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: Corsair - Enthusiast 650W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply 
Case Fan: Corsair - Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition 39.9 CFM  120mm Fan  (£13.74 @ Aria PC) 
Case Fan: Corsair - Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM  120mm Fans  (£17.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Case Fan: Thermaltake - CL-F015-PL20BL-A 129.6 CFM  200mm Fan  (£14.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £750.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-18 22:52 BST+0100

Okey, so I agree with the chocie, to keep GPU, I don't understand the choice of taking 16GB of ram, wouldn't be better to take 8GB (2x4gb) and swapp to intel i5 CPU with are better in games? And mybe then changin MOBO? In these days if you are gaming only, 1 PCIE slot is enough, mATX comes with 4x slot for whatever you want, i dunno, 10GIG network? On mobo you can save a buck (or a penny, i see you are from British Isles) and put to a jar to buy better graphics card

Quote me so I can reply <3

4 minutes ago, Gawron10001 said:

Okey, so I agree with the chocie, to keep GPU, I don't understand the choice of taking 16GB of ram, wouldn't be better to take 8GB (2x4gb) and swapp to intel i5 CPU with are better in games? And mybe then changin MOBO? In these days if you are gaming only, 1 PCIE slot is enough, mATX comes with 4x slot for whatever you want, i dunno, 10GIG network? Thats my oppinion

I’ve heard that 16GB is the perfect amount for games and plus it means I won’t have to upgrade for anymore as it gives more head room i guess. 

I’m quite new to building pcs so will Micro ATX boards fit in a case like mine surely it would be too small?

7 minutes ago, saur0 said:

Hi, interestingly i'm just in the process of upgrading a PC with the same CPU and motherboard. I have bought a Core i7-980X for £119 off ebay, with that chip some better RAM and SSD your and a few easy over clocking tweeks, your existing system should be able to do what you want, leaving you to keep saving for a new rig.

I have considered something like that but I can probably get the core parts for my computer around now and Christmas/Black Friday time and save for a gpu in long term as they are costly.

i might get core parts like mb cpu and ram soon then use my old drives then maybe get news ones for Christmas ? I have no idea really 

27 minutes ago, Callum1808 said:

If I were you I'd definitely buy an SSD and put windows on it. Even a 120gb is fine, trust me it'll make a massive difference.

I'd also buy a windows key off ebay to save every buck you can. They're usually around £3 and they should work.

Also, unless you badly want senseMi, I wouldn't bother with that motherboard. The VRM for the cheaper X470 boards are identical or very similar to the B450 boards, so you might as well save some money here if you can.

Make sure your memory is on the QVL of the motherboard you end up choosing. I learnt this the hard way last year with Ryzen.

You could probably afford a GPU upgrade when you sell your old parts. I'd recommend looking on CEX for used GPUs, since it's the only way of getting cheap used cards with warranty.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

1 minute ago, ibabyslapper said:

Do Cex say if their cards have been used for mining?

8 gigs are enough, but 16 gigs are heaven, you don't worryy about anything while having 16,. Linus did video about it here:

And about mobo choice, just pic the cheapes, i did it for my GF, she's like hardcore LOL, and some MMORPG's. The board was asrock something, it cost like 60 dolars? ( 200 PLN). Mobo doesn't affect gaming as much, i would even say, it doesn't affect gaming experiance at all! mATX are the cheapest, usually, and yes, it will fit in your tower, it wont be too small, it will screw on standoffs that you currently have.

For me throwing money on "gaming" flashy motherboard is just waste of money, you will not ever use more than 1 pcie slot because most of expansion card (capture card, sound card) except high speed network cards, plug on usb

Just now, Callum1808 said:

Nope, but you get a 2 year warranty on GPUs, so I think it's worth it

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

2 minutes ago, Callum1808 said:

Also I meant StoreMi, not SenseMi on my first post

1 minute ago, Gawron10001 said:

8 gigs are enough, but 16 gigs are heaven, you don't worryy about anything while having 16,. Linus did video about it here:

And about mobo choice, just pic the cheapes, i did it for my GF, she's like hardcore LOL, and some MMORPG's. The board was asrock something, it cost like 60 dolars? ( 200 PLN). Mobo doesn't affect gaming as much, i would even say, it doesn't affect gaming experiance at all! mATX are the cheapest, usually, and yes, it will fit in your tower, it wont be too small, it will screw on standoffs that you currently have.

For me throwing money on "gaming" flashy motherboard is just waste of money, you will not ever use more than 1 pcie slot because most of expansion card (capture card, sound card) except high speed network cards, plug on usb

I will look for cheaper mb then, still not sure with ram I’ll have a deeper look at total cost tomorrow and see if I have some extra money to spare for 16GB if not probably 8GB Thank you for advice 

Glad i could help

1 minute ago, Callum1808 said:

I will look for cheaper mb then, still not sure with ram I’ll have a deeper look at total cost tomorrow and see if I have some extra money to spare for 16GB if not probably 8GB Thank you for advice 

Also is there any difference between ryzen 2600 and the x version ( I know the speed ) but is it worth that extra cost for x version

1 minute ago, Gawron10001 said:

The board was asrock something, it cos i would even say, it doesn't affect gaming experiance at all! mATX are the cheapest

Have you ever had a mobo fail, It slightly affects your gaming performance.

If you try to OC on a 60$ mobo with 6 power phases and no heatsink, your mobo is literally going to die.

USB wifi is slower than pcie.

sound card does not go through usb, its much worse quality.

etc.

Also OC, yeah the difference between a 130$ mobo and a 180$ one isnt much,

but the difference between a 60$ and 130$ is pretty big.

for example, you might get a ALC1220 for better sound,

internal usb 3.1, usb c, more fan mounts, more m.2, ram/pcie reinforcement, 2x Gbe lan etc.

1 minute ago, Callum1808 said:

Also is there any difference between ryzen 2600 and the x version ( I know the speed ) but is it worth that extra cost for x version

the X is essentially an overclocked 2600 with a slightly better cooler. get a 2600 and a better cooler like a cryorig H7/H5.

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

Have you ever had a mobo fail, It slightly affects your gaming performance.

If you try to OC on a 60$ mobo with 6 power phases and no heatsink, your mobo is literally going to die.

USB wifi is slower than pcie.

sound card does not go through usb, its much worse quality.

etc.

Also OC, yeah the difference between a 130$ mobo and a 180$ one isnt much,

but the difference between a 60$ and 130$ is pretty big.

for example, you might get a ALC1220 for better sound,

internal usb 3.1, usb c, more fan mounts, more m.2, ram/pcie reinforcement, 2x Gbe lan etc.

So Is the one I picked any good or should I pick another at slightly lower or similar price?

3 minutes ago, Callum1808 said:

So Is the one I picked any good or should I pick another at slightly lower or similar price?

Is good if wanna overclock, but always search for cheaper one :P

This is what I would do, as I said you can pick up the processor for about £120 on ebay, the ram should cost about £100 and the SSD £50. You can then use the rest of your parts and sell your cpu, ram and ssd to make some money back. The 980x can be comfortably clocked to 4Ghz which can be done with your existing motherboard, although you might need a better cooler (£30) depending on what you already have fitted. 

CPU: Intel - Core i7-980X Extreme Edition 3.33GHz 6-Core Processor  (£600.00 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Asus - P6X58-E WS ATX LGA1366 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£52.79 @ Aria PC) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£224.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £877.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-18 23:14 BST+0100

5 minutes ago, saur0 said:

This is what I would do, as I said you can pick up the processor for about £120 on ebay, the ram should cost about £100 and the SSD £50. You can then use the rest of your parts and sell your cpu, ram and ssd to make some money back. The 980x can be comfortably clocked to 4Ghz which can be done with your existing motherboard, although you might need a better cooler (£30) depending on what you already have fitted. 

Motherboard: Asus - P6X58-E WS ATX LGA1366 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£52.79 @ Aria PC) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£224.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £877.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-18 23:14 BST+0100

I’ll have to think about it as that cpu does seem quite good however I’m not sure whether it would be better to go to a ddr4 system sooner rather than later. 

Also what does the stock cooler for the i7 930 look like as I have one on now and it’s Corsair not sure if it’s any good

Also any advice on what tools I will need to build my pc would be greatly appreciated. I know I will need thermal paste and probably some sort of screw driver 

13 minutes ago, Callum1808 said:

I’ll have to think about it as that cpu does seem quite good however I’m not sure whether it would be better to go to a ddr4 system sooner rather than later. 

Also what does the stock cooler for the i7 930 look like as I have one on now and it’s Corsair not sure if it’s any good

you only need to worry about the cooler if you overclock, so probably not worth considering until you have the other parts in and working. Depending on your timescale for upgrading your GPU it might be worth holding off. DDR5 is expected next year along with new intel CPUs, and the new nvida cards will have bedded in which will probably drive the price of other stuff down. 

Shouldn't need anything more than the screwdriver with that set up, maybe some wire cutters if you are using cable ties. 

I've recently used a C Graphite Thermal Pad on my 980x, they are a few quid more than paste but you can reuse them, and you don't have to deal with paste drying out. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CKVW18G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

10 minutes ago, saur0 said:

you only need to worry about the cooler if you overclock, so probably not worth considering until you have the other parts in and working. Depending on your timescale for upgrading your GPU it might be worth holding off. DDR5 is expected next year along with new intel CPUs, and the new nvida cards will have bedded in which will probably drive the price of other stuff down. 

Shouldn't need anything more than the screwdriver with that set up, maybe some wire cutters if you are using cable ties. 

I've recently used a C Graphite Thermal Pad on my 980x, they are a few quid more than paste but you can reuse them, and you don't have to deal with paste drying out. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CKVW18G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They look quite good actually I think I will get those thank you!

Ill have to see how much Black Friday affects prices as if they drop quite a bit I will probably just go with ddr4 as it will take a few years for ddr5 to come to motherboards and it will probably be quite expensive. Thanks for the help 

Just now, Callum1808 said:

They look quite good actually I think I will get those thank you!

Ill have to see how much Black Friday affects prices as if they drop quite a bit I will probably just go with ddr4 as it will take a few years for ddr5 to come to motherboards and it will probably be quite expensive. Thanks for the help 

if you want DDR4 you will need to upgrade the motherboard, which in turn will mean upgrading the CPU. 

Just now, saur0 said:

if you want DDR4 you will need to upgrade the motherboard, which in turn will mean upgrading the CPU. 

Yes I know that’s what I’m still deciding on as my system right now is coming up to around 8 years old so I need a new system though really