Upgrade to an iPhone 8 or used iPhone x now or wait a year for an iPhone XS

AidenBear

Hi, I currently still have an old iPhone 5s and it's time for an upgrade. I'm debating whether I should upgrade to an iPhone 8 or a used iPhone X (it will be a present this Christmas) or wait until next years Christmas and get a new iPhone X or XS depending on how much the price of both drops. The 5s will almost certainly continue to work for another year but my friends enjoy giving me shit for having a 5 year old phone and after looking at my friends phones with bigger screens, my tiny 4" screen is becoming unusable. I'm almost not to sure about buying a used phone. Your advice would be helpful, thanks.

Specs

CPU - I5-8500

GPU - MSI Gaming GTX 1070Ti

Motherboard - Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 3000MHZ

SSD - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB

HDD - Western Digital 1TB

Case - NZXT S340 Elite

PSU - Corsair TX650M

Peripherals / Monitor

Monitor - Acer Predator XB241H 24" 1080p 144Hz G-Sync

Keyboard - Razer Ornata Chroma

Mouse - Razer Deathadder Chroma

Headset - Turtle Beach PX24

By next year they'll have another iphone 11 or iphone rtx 20 or something. Just get what you can now if you really want to upgrade.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

If you need a new phone I'd recommend the Oneplus 6, but if you must have an iPhone no matter what get the used X

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

12 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

By next year they'll have another iphone 11 or iphone rtx 20 or something. Just get what you can now if you really want to upgrade.

Yep iPhones with raytracing are coming next year.

Specs

CPU - I5-8500

Case - NZXT S340 Elite

PSU - Corsair TX650M

Peripherals / Monitor

1 minute ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

If you need a new phone I'd recommend the Oneplus 6, but if you must have an iPhone no matter what get the used X

I really prefer IOS over Android so I'd much prefer an iPhone. Why should I get a used X.

Specs

CPU - I5-8500

Case - NZXT S340 Elite

PSU - Corsair TX650M

Peripherals / Monitor

16 minutes ago, AidenBear said:

I really prefer IOS over Android so I'd much prefer an iPhone. Why should I get a used X.

Less-shitty phone

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

3 hours ago, AidenBear said:

The screen is so much better on the iPhone X. And the iPhone 8 looks like it’s from 2015. You’ll want to upgrade the 8 as soon as you buy one. 

I mean, I personally don't like/use apple products but the specs of the iPhone X (1st Gen) are considerably better than the 4.7" iPhone 8 so If you're set to go with an iPhone go with the X. 

Maybe consider waiting for the Google Pixel 3? It's stock android with really solid specs (and guaranteed software support.) Google markets Pixels to people wanting to switch from an iPhone. It's very likely to start at $649 USD (around the price of a used iPhone 8.) 

Your choice ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

If your friends give you shit for using old phone, why don't you give them shit for being sheep and buying into the hype?

Used iPhone X would be the best deal I suppose, assuming you absolutely want to stay with iOS.

Having recently switched to Android, I don't really see the appeal of iOS however.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

19 hours ago, David 2.0 said:

I mean, I personally don't like/use apple products but the specs of the iPhone X (1st Gen) are considerably better than the 4.7" iPhone 8 so If you're set to go with an iPhone go with the X. 

Maybe consider waiting for the Google Pixel 3? It's stock android with really solid specs (and guaranteed software support.) Google markets Pixels to people wanting to switch from an iPhone. It's very likely to start at $649 USD (around the price of a used iPhone 8.) 

Your choice ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I've had a Pixel, and extensively used a Pixel 2... They just don't feel premium. Compared to my iPhone X they honestly felt like mid-tier overpriced garbage.

Why iPhone X and NOT iPhone 8:

- They both have almost the same size. The iPhone X is maybe a half centimeter wider/taller. Overall, aside from a few single millimeters, same Size~

- However, iPhone X has a 5,8" Screen with Oled, iPhone 8 has only a 4,7" Screen with lower Resolution, lower Pixel density, and "only" IPS, even tho it's a good panel.

- Battery is like almost 50% larger in capacity than iPhone 8.

- iPhone X has 3gb Ram instead 2gb.

And a used iPhone X should be a bit cheaper than a new iPhone Xr of course (because it's 1 year old tech + Used).

Edit:

Apple-iPhone-X-vs-iPhone-8-vs-iPhone-8-P

See? Similar "Wide", but just a few millimeter talled. But MUCH bigger screen. It looks more like 2017/2018 design, and not like... 2010 design.

21 hours ago, David 2.0 said:

Your choice ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Most of the Nexus phones were absolute crap. Especially the Nexus 4 and Nexus 6p. I just can’t even with Google...We’ll see how well the Pixel phones age...

Meanwhile, every iPhone since the 6S has been consistently very good. 

21 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

Most of the Nexus phones were absolute crap. Especially the Nexus 4 and Nexus 6p. I just can’t even with Google...We’ll see how well the Pixel phones age...

I liked the 5x for the price... But yeah.

43 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

Same thing with the Nexus 5x and other LG phones, I don't know why a lot of LG phones have this "random bootloop" problem.

well, Nexus 5x was more Midrange than Flaggship tho.

6p was more flaggshippy, but.... storage options were a Joke back then.