7820x 5ghz

danrey84

Think I may for the first time have won the silicone lottery for a change. Had my 7820x a couple of weeks been slowly pushing the limits but from what I've have read and seen is that most don't seem to go to 5ghz. Now mine gets to 5ghz but I'm only 1.29v and alot of people are needing more volts for less frequency. Done the usual tests cinebench , realbench stress test and OCCT just to name a few. Just wondering if there are any 7820x users and what your experiences are. 

Thanks again 

8 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

run prime95 overnight.

Would you not say 4 hours of prime and 4 of OCCT is good enough for a stress test ?? 

Mine is a little bit weird, and its probably because I am not experienced at overclocking and have been using automated tools mainly. For reference, I am using a Corsair H115i AIO for cooling.

If I set the overclock to 4.6ghz, it is fine for gaming or general use. However, if I use something that puts full load on all the cores, its not sustainable. So obviously not a viable option for the most part. 

My results are probably due to the Gigabyte EasyTune tool I am using as I believe it ups the voltages as you scale the clock speed whether its necessary or not.

Up to 3.8ghz on all cores, and everything is fine under full load with CPU temps sitting around ~65 degrees. 

As soon as I go higher, even to 3.9ghz, under full load, the CPU temps jump up into the 90 degree range. So I am guessing something else is happening that I am not aware of as a 0.1ghz increase usually shouldn't result in a 30 degree temp increase.

FYI, for full load conditions I am simply referring to doing video encoding with Handbrake, which maxes all cores at 100% until the task is done.

I have never been able to set it higher than 4.6ghz as the system is instantly unstable. 

I need to find the time to sit down and follow an overclocking guide to do this properly and see if it's an issue with the software or I just have a poor CPU for overclocking. 

If you're getting 5ghz easily, then that's awesome, and I think you got a good CPU. What type of CPU cooling are you using and what are the temps sitting at under full load?

4 hours ago, DogKnight said:

Mine is a little bit weird, and its probably because I am not experienced at overclocking and have been using automated tools mainly. For reference, I am using a Corsair H115i AIO for cooling.

If I set the overclock to 4.6ghz, it is fine for gaming or general use. However, if I use something that puts full load on all the cores, its not sustainable. So obviously not a viable option for the most part. 

My results are probably due to the Gigabyte EasyTune tool I am using as I believe it ups the voltages as you scale the clock speed whether its necessary or not.

Up to 3.8ghz on all cores, and everything is fine under full load with CPU temps sitting around ~65 degrees. 

As soon as I go higher, even to 3.9ghz, under full load, the CPU temps jump up into the 90 degree range. So I am guessing something else is happening that I am not aware of as a 0.1ghz increase usually shouldn't result in a 30 degree temp increase.

FYI, for full load conditions I am simply referring to doing video encoding with Handbrake, which maxes all cores at 100% until the task is done.

I have never been able to set it higher than 4.6ghz as the system is instantly unstable. 

I need to find the time to sit down and follow an overclocking guide to do this properly and see if it's an issue with the software or I just have a poor CPU for overclocking. 

If you're getting 5ghz easily, then that's awesome, and I think you got a good CPU. What type of CPU cooling are you using and what are the temps sitting at under full load?

Well I'm using a full custom loop with an EK XE 480mm Rad I also delidded my cpu aswell. Under full load I'm around 84C when either running Realbench stress test or OCCT. If I drop it down too say 4.7Ghz I'm in the low 70s I also use a mono block on my system to cool both cpu and VRM's. 

• 4 weeks later...

Let's see those cinebench big boy... ?

BRfOSKv.jpg

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

2 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

Let's see those cinebench big boy... ?

BRfOSKv.jpg

All I'm going to say to that screen shot is I can't see fuck all

3 minutes ago, danrey84 said:

All I'm going to say to that screen shot is I can't see fuck all

Really? Sorry.

My 7820x @ 5GHz...

Cinibench R15

Multithread: 2249

Single thread: 223

Wondering what your's did at 5GHz.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

14 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

Really? Sorry.

My 7820x @ 5GHz...

Cinibench R15

Multithread: 2249

Single thread: 223

Wondering what your's did at 5GHz.

I'm at

2148 multi

219 single

However I will lose performance to you as your running at 3600mhz RAM while I'm at 2666mhz as I'm using my old x99 rigs RAM till I can get some good stuff next month 

1 minute ago, danrey84 said:

I'm at 2148 multi

However I will lose performance to you as your running at 3600mhz RAM while I'm at 2666mhz as I'm using my old x99 rigs RAM till I can get some good stuff next month 

Nice.  That is a strong score.  Shoot me a message or update this thread when you run it with your new memory.  I am curious.

10 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

Nice.  That is a strong score.  Shoot me a message or update this thread when you run it with your new memory.  I am curious.

Yes I will do. You also have a nice score

Thanks man.  You're chip seems super strong...have you tried 5.1GHz?  I did up to 1.4v and never got it to complete it Cinebench.