Beyerdynamic DT 770 250, 80, or 32

Michael McAllister

Are you suggesting that an $80 pair of headphones sounds better than ones that cost twice as much?  :unsure:

That's quite subjective. The 7506 were the first headphones I had which I then upgraded to the M50s and then the Dt770. I like the M50s more than the 7506 and the 770 more than the m50s. My only issue with the 7506 and the dt770 is the coiled cable. I hate coiled cable but it seems like any good headphone has those. 

Are you suggesting that an $80 pair of headphones sounds better than ones that cost twice as much?  :unsure:

Completely possible bro, but it's more down to preference. I like my Shure SRH440's more than my M50's, and the M50's cost more.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

I suppose you're not just paying for sound quality.  Comfort and build quality are a factor as well.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

I suppose you're not just paying for sound quality.  Comfort and build quality are a factor as well.

Comfort isn't when you get the M50's. sooo uncomfy

Sounds like I need to get me some high-impedance headphones soon to test that out (I also have the 892) 

If you don't plan on using an amp, I'd say 250 Ohm is a touch too high for the ALC892.  

If you don't plan on using an amp, I'd say 250 Ohm is a touch too high for the ALC892.  

I have a Xonar D2X soundcard too, which I'm keeping just for future high-impedance headphones, so it won't be an issue if it doesn't get loud enough.

I have a Xonar D2X soundcard too, which I'm keeping just for future high-impedance headphones, so it won't be an issue if it doesn't get loud enough.

Okay.  If that works for you, awesome.

Yes I am, but as the other individual said, its subjective. I, me, personally like the 7506 more then my SRH1540's. 

not the exact same model but relevant to difference between impedance

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

Unfortunately, I have made the decision to return these headphones.  The only thing stopping me from getting the 80 ohm version of the same headphones is the fact that they come with a straight cable.  In my situation, a coiled cable makes much more sense.  I would have bought an amp for the these headphones, but I could not find one that would adequately work with my disability.

With my disability, I cannot turn my wrist very well, so a traditional volume knob would be very difficult for me to use.

Unfortunately, I have made the decision to return these headphones.  The only thing stopping me from getting the 80 ohm version of the same headphones is the fact that they come with a straight cable.  In my situation, a coiled cable makes much more sense.  I would have bought an amp for the these headphones, but I could not find one that would adequately work with my disability.

With my disability, I cannot turn my wrist very well, so a traditional volume knob would be very difficult for me to use.

FiiO E17 could have worked, but I dunno how good it is.

It doesn't look like that has line out for external speakers.

You could get something like the FiiO E10 and turn the volume on it to an acceptable volume with the windows volume at 50% and use the windows volume to turn up and down the sound.

You could get something like the FiiO E10 and turn the volume on it to an acceptable volume with the windows volume at 50% and use the windows volume to turn up and down the sound.

Won't that create distortion?

Won't that create distortion?

I've heard it might but I doubt i'd be noticeable. I keep mine at 50% in windows and use the knob on the E10 and I don't notice any distortion. It might be worth a try if you're not able to use the knob on the Fiio.

@NannerBeans  This is what sucks about not having an audio shop around here that has different headphones and amplifiers on display.  I could try that, but if it doesn't work, it would be a pain in the ass to have to send everything back.

Has anyone had any experience with the DT 250 series versus the DT 770?  Is the DT 250 series similar in sound signature?  I know for sure that the 80 ohm version has a coiled cable.

@MayflowerElectronics Are the DT 250 (80 Ohms) pretty similar to the DT 770s?  I would get the 80 ohm version of the DT 770s, but I cannot buy them with a coiled cable, and in my situation, a coiled cable would be easier for cable management.

@MayflowerElectronics Are the DT 250 (80 Ohms) pretty similar to the DT 770s?  I would get the 80 ohm version of the DT 770s, but I cannot buy them with a coiled cable, and in my situation, a coiled cable would be easier for cable management.

They are basically the same except for the impedance which shouldn't matter too much unless you have a ridiculous output impedance sound card and the coiled cable as you mentioned.

They are basically the same except for the impedance which shouldn't matter too much unless you have a ridiculous output impedance sound card and the coiled cable as you mentioned.

Unfortunately, they do not have the same beautiful metal construction of the DT 770s either.

post-4302-0-09811400-1390783980.png

Unfortunately, there was no frequency response graph available for the 80 ohm version of the DT 250.  If someone can help me make sense of this frequency response graph, that would be great.  I currently have the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro.  I would go ahead and trade the 250 ohm version of the DT 770 for the 80 ohm version, but unfortunately that does not have coiled cable.

attachicon.gifFRgraphCompare.png

Unfortunately, there was no frequency response graph available for the 80 ohm version of the DT 250.  If someone can help me make sense of this frequency response graph, that would be great.  I currently have the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro.  I would go ahead and trade the 250 ohm version of the DT 770 for the 80 ohm version, but unfortunately that does not have coiled cable.

On the X-axis, that is the frequency. Bass is on the low frequency, and mids in the middle, and Treble in the high. The higher the amplitude in that area, the more present that part of the audio is. So i n this graph, there is more low bass in the DT770 and HD280 and slightly more treble in the DT770 than the other 2 headphones. 

attachicon.gifFRgraphCompare.png

The frequency response is not the biggest factor in the sound, two headphones can have identical graphs, but as the construction is different, they sound different. The 250's are a more flat, neutral sound compared to the 770's, like the 280 Pros are as well, but on the graph, the 280's seem to have more bass. If you like the sound of your 280's, go for the DT250's, as I think they will have a similar sound, detail wise. the dT770 lacks a lot of detail in mids and highs. 

The frequency response is not the biggest factor in the sound, two headphones can have identical graphs, but as the construction is different, they sound different. 

Depends on how the measurement is taken, but that's a whole other argument.