GTX 1080 TI or RTX 2080?

DVA
32 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Well the 2080 has 2944 cuda cores where as the 1080ti has 3584 so that's why they think the 2080 will be slower.

yes but not all cuda cores are created equal!

If you look back a GTX 780ti for example had 2880 cuda cores and GTX 980ti had ''only'' 2816 of them...but we know which is faster.

In my honest opinion, and i'm pretty sure what i'll say will turn out to be accurate...i THINK, in older games, games that are out TODAY, the RTX 2080 will most likely be anywhere from 10 to 20% faster than GTX 1080ti stock...and 1080ti with a strong overclock will match an out of the box 3rd party design from MSI or EVGA for example...

But...and this is a huge BUT...OVER TIME...when new games will keep coming out, and nvidia will roll out driver updates...i think in 2 years from now if you test the new games it will grow to anywhere from 15 to 30% faster...and when ray tracing will get more involved, 2080 will destroy 1080ti in those titles...

That said, i'm picking up my very own GTX 1080ti in about 2 hours from now...because i found a super high end model for 700$ CAD and i couldn't pass up on this deal...in 2 years from now we'll see..i'll probably upgrade again since then, or at around that time anyways...so i don't care about RTX...too expensive, heck RTX 2080 is 1000$ CAD online right now with tax and shit...way crazy.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, jstudrawa said:

In most FPS, they show more screen, yes. Some, no.  I own this... AOC Agon 35" 3440x1440p 75Mhz G-Sync.  G-Sync is awesome, IMO.

https://smile.amazon.com/AOC-AG352UCG6-Curved-Monitor-3440x1440/dp/B07BMVNJZP/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1536934604&sr=8-1&keywords=aoc+agon+35

It's an investment, yes.  But I expect it to last as long as my TV, longer even.  Or I'll sell it and buy a better one later. Like cars, you don't just look at horsepower, but the experience of driving.  Spend the money where you spend your time :)

Motherfu...$800!!!

Yeah I'm waiting until Black Friday LOL.

Thanks for the video man. I'm at work but I'll be sure to check it out later. 

Speaking of which, I have to get back to work. Have a great day bud. 

2 minutes ago, DVA said:

I wonder how many people are fine with dropping frames to gain more details in their gaming experience. 

As Nvidia showed, there are now details you could not have gotten before. Such as the whole car/fire explosion thing they showed multiple times. 

But is it worth dropping a ton of frames? Hmm.. I think yes if it's not online. For an online experience I would not want the drop in frames just for an extra shadow or for more realism. 

years before I used to play with 20-30 FPS and was playable for me, times has changed after I saw the life of higher FPS, but for details I guess people will let it slide if the fps stays around at least 60FPS. The thing is, will it be lower than 60

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

yes but not all cuda cores are created equal!

If you look back a GTX 780ti for example had 2880 cuda cores and GTX 980ti had ''only'' 2816 of them...but we know which is faster.

In my honest opinion, and i'm pretty sure what i'll say will turn out to be accurate...i THINK, in older games, games that are out TODAY, the RTX 2080 will most likely be anywhere from 10 to 20% faster than GTX 1080ti stock...and 1080ti with a strong overclock will match an out of the box 3rd party design from MSI or EVGA for example...

But...and this is a huge BUT...OVER TIME...when new games will keep coming out, and nvidia will roll out driver updates...i think in 2 years from now if you test the new games it will grow to anywhere from 15 to 30% faster...and when ray tracing will get more involved, 2080 will destroy 1080ti in those titles...

That said, i'm picking up my very own GTX 1080ti in about 2 hours from now...because i found a super high end model for 700$ CAD and i couldn't pass up on this deal...in 2 years from now we'll see..i'll probably upgrade again since then, or at around that time anyways...so i don't care about RTX...too expensive, heck RTX 2080 is 1000$ CAD online right now with tax and shit...way crazy.

Haha, I was like, yeah yeah! He's totally right, the technology for 2080 RT will become more prevalent and!...

"That said, I'm picking up my very own GTX 1080ti"

Lol. It's a great card though and for that price you're getting it at i can only say congrats!

2 hours ago, jstudrawa said:

Totally, but I didn't give you the credit you deserve that you're actually thinking this all thru logically and being a smart buyer and not just some guy flipping back and forth.  You've really researched your stuff, which is a great idea :) 

I truly believe monitors, mice, keyboard, speakers and cases are the things that don't directly effect performance but make your PC experience better indirectly.  My buddy was the one that told me to buy things that make my PC experience better and since then I've really put thought and money into nicer peripherals.  

The ultrawide is suggested cuz you now have the horsepower to push all those pixels, and when you've got a game extending into your peripheral vision... it's just more immersive to me.  Yes, they're not cheap.  But how much was the TV in your living room? :) Which is used more?  I asked myself that and it was a no brainer to get the Ulrawide.

Yeah that's why I am probably going to pick up the pg27uq this weekend. It might seem like an overly expensive monitor but it is going to last for quite some time and I want above 60 fps at 4k. 

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah that's why I am probably going to pick up the pg27uq this weekend. It might seem like an overly expensive monitor but it is going to last for quite some time and I want above 60 fps at 4k. 

$2,000 usd.... I'm gonna vomit. That's my entire PC budget I gave myself lol.

Nice choice!

4 minutes ago, DVA said:

$2,000 usd.... I'm gonna vomit. That's my entire PC budget I gave myself lol.

Nice choice!

I live a very inexpensive lifestyle and have a good job so I tend to spend most of my money on my pc setup because I don't really spend money one anything else. Plus I want a monitor that can take advantage of the 2080ti for normal games that don't have raytracing.