Upgrade, yeah, but to which CPU?

Guys, I'm torn.

Right now I've got a 4670k running at 4.2ghz and I've got a Vega 64 Liquid and 8gb's of ram.

I've got a monitor with a 3840x1600 resolution at 75hz.

The reason I'm posting this is because I'm being bottlenecked by my cpu in certain games, for example gta V.

Now I want to upgrade my CPU, but I don't know which one I should buy. 

Should I upgrade to a 4790k 2nd hand or should I wait for the i7 9700k and upgrade mobo, ram, etc with it? 

I don't know what to do. I've searched across the internet and I've seen people saying the 4790k is enough and other peopling saying that I would need to upgrade. 

So, what do you guys recommend? 

Is anyone in a similar situation like me? 

In some games I am bottlenecked, like gta V, but in others I'm not, like Battlefront.

Should I buy a a 4790k now and sell my 4670k at total upgrade cost of ~€80  and wait for 10th gen from intel to upgrade. 

Or is it really worth the while to upgrade to the 9700k and will that satisfy me for the upcoming years?

I really hope someone does have a good answer, even though I know it won't be an easy one and there is no definite answer to it. 

So please, share your thoughts, thank you :)

You might get by with an overclocked 4790k, especially if the game will utilize the extra hyperthreads. If your are trying to be budget conscious I'd try that. I had friends with 4790Ks with no complaints paired with GTX 1080s. If you got the wallet to support it, doing a complete CPU/mobo/RAM upgrade to a newer CPU like ryzen 2 or a 8700k or something will give you a very solid system that will last a lot longer, albeit at a much higher cost.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

11 minutes ago, United_Stealth said:

Should I buy a a 4790k now and sell my 4670k at total upgrade cost of ~€80  and wait for 10th gen from intel to upgrade. 

you :)

New cpu and architectures run sooo much better. Take your old system, sand gpu and meybe storage and sell it as a whole pc, slap a small builders tax on it and use the money to pay for a new system. THOUGH wait till you are all planned out to sell unless you find someone who is willing to pay a good price for it.

16 hours ago, United_Stealth said:

Guys, I'm torn.

Right now I've got a 4670k running at 4.2ghz and I've got a Vega 64 Liquid and 8gb's of ram.

I've got a monitor with a 3840x1600 resolution at 75hz.

The reason I'm posting this is because I'm being bottlenecked by my cpu in certain games, for example gta V.

Now I want to upgrade my CPU, but I don't know which one I should buy. 

Should I upgrade to a 4790k 2nd hand or should I wait for the i7 9700k and upgrade mobo, ram, etc with it? 

I don't know what to do. I've searched across the internet and I've seen people saying the 4790k is enough and other peopling saying that I would need to upgrade. 

So, what do you guys recommend? 

Is anyone in a similar situation like me? 

In some games I am bottlenecked, like gta V, but in others I'm not, like Battlefront.

Or is it really worth the while to upgrade to the 9700k and will that satisfy me for the upcoming years?

I really hope someone does have a good answer, even though I know it won't be an easy one and there is no definite answer to it. 

So please, share your thoughts, thank you :)

Im in the exact same situation as you, ive got a i5 6600, 4 core 4 thread cpu and a gtx 980ti. My cpu is bottlenecking me in recent games. Like battlefield V and other  cpu inensive games.

I am thinking of either getting a ryzen 2700 and Overclocking it, or waiting for zen2 next year. I mean, everything runs right now, it could just run better. You might want to wait at least for 9th gen intel to release, so prices can come down a bit on 8th gen and ryzen. You might even just want a 8700k, very good gaming cpu and a significant upgrade for you.

Personally, i think ryzen is the way to go for value right now. But if you want to stay with intel, 8700k would be great. I think it is definitely time to upgrade your 4c/4t cpu to a 6 core, 12 thread or better..

I wouldnt get another 4th gen. Sure, it might be fine for another year or so, but 4c/8t cpus will start to struggle soon as well. but with a 8th gen or ryzen, you would be good for 5 years to come.

Good luck!