Gaming/Productivity Machine

Ryois

So I want to build a ~2.5k USD PC sometime in December ish. My main use for a new rig is mainly everyday tasks, gaming when I feel like it, and Adobe CC suite. I plan on having 2x 1440p and a 1440p 144Hz monitor. I'll upgrade to 4K later on but that's the future. Peripherals don't need to be added. I'm upgrading from a laptop with an i7 6700HQ and a 1070 that's getting a little outdated. I'd like to have 32GB of ram since I max out my 16GB sometimes. Especially when I'm running a couple of VMs and rendering stuff in Adobe Premiere Pro. I also plan on Hackintoshing this machine since I like working in macOS. But when I game and run Adobe CC I'll be in Windows. Some extra features that would be nice to have but not required: 4x 1GbE or 10GbE, a 1070 or better, and roughly ~8TB of storage. It has to be able to handle VR, since I already have a HTC Vive.

I was looking at an i7 8700K and an Asus ROG Strix 1070Ti. I'm not too sure on the other parts. It doesn't have to have RGB, side window is ok, and I want a case with good cable management options.

I'd recommend this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/s6c8P3

However, since you are building this sometime in December, you should try snatching an RTX 2070 and/or an Intel 9900k when it is released. The 1070 ti might be a little lacking once you bump yourself up to 4k. However, as far as the hackintosh part goes, compatibility might not work the best, especially with newer hardware, so ultimately your decision. 

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

1 minute ago, Airdragonz said:

However, since you are building this sometime in December, you should try snatching an RTX 2070 and/or an Intel 9900k when it is released. The 1070 ti might be a little lacking once you bump yourself up to 4k. However, as far as the hackintosh part goes, compatibility might not work the best, especially with newer hardware, so ultimately your decision. 

True, I'm waiting for benchmarks and such. But yeah if they come out I'll get them.

Fuck macOS

fuck all mac

Tim Cook Destroyed Apple

Dont hackintosh it

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

2 minutes ago, Airdragonz said:

The hell you mean the 1070TI will be lacking

i have a GTX 1070 and its amazing for 4K and VR

i mean a GTX 1050 could do 4K

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

Just now, LamoidZombieDog said:

Fuck macOS

fuck all mac

Tim Cookie Destroyed Apple

Dont hackintosh it

Someone is salty... (Typed using a MacBook Air <3)

Quote me to see your reply

PC Specs: Case - NZXT H500i (Black) | Motherboard - Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | GPU - Asus ROG STRIX RX 580 (8GB) | Memory - G.Skill Trident Z 8GB (3000MHz, RGB) | SSD - Samsung 860 EVO 250GB | PSU - EVGA 650GQ 80+ Gold 650W | CPU Cooler - ARCTIC Freezer 33 eSports Edition

1 minute ago, LamoidZombieDog said:

The hell you mean the 1070TI will be lacking

i have a GTX 1070 and its amazing for 4K and VR

i mean a GTX 1050 could do 4K

at 10fps

First Computer: 3440x1440 @75Hz ROG STRIX 1080 Ti Core i5 8600K @ 1.415V @ 5.08 GHz Corsair Spec 02 EVGA CLC 280mm

1 minute ago, jakep0802 said:

Someone is salty... (Typed using a MacBook Air <3)

i Destroyed a 2011 macbook Pro Just because i had the chance to

2 minutes ago, LamoidZombieDog said:

Fuck macOS

fuck all mac

Tim Cookie Destroyed Apple

Dont hackintosh it

I'll run what OS I want to :P

Plus macOS is nice for what I'll be using it for.

1 hour ago, CatTNT said:

at 10fps

4K doesnt exactly take up a crap load of GPU.. expecialy just running it for watching videos and everything

when gaming only one screen is being used for tht anyways

1 hour ago, Ryois said:

I'll run what OS I want to :P

Plus macOS is nice for what I'll be using it for.

not Really

2 minutes ago, LamoidZombieDog said:

4K doesnt exactly take up a crap load of GPU.. expecialy just running it for watching videos and everything

when gaming only one screen is being used for tht anyways

Actually, 4K takes a lot more GPU power than CPU power. That being said, a 1050 would do TERRIBLE 4k, or not even run it.

PC Specs: Case - NZXT H500i (Black) | Motherboard - Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | GPU - Asus ROG STRIX RX 580 (8GB) | Memory - G.Skill Trident Z 8GB (3000MHz, RGB) | SSD - Samsung 860 EVO 250GB | PSU - EVGA 650GQ 80+ Gold 650W | CPU Cooler - ARCTIC Freezer 33 eSports Edition

not Really

I've ran macOS as a daily driver before and it was just fine. I was able to use Discord, use Chrome, and such.

My old hackintosh: Screen_Shot_2018-05-29_at_12.07.27_PM.pn

1 hour ago, jakep0802 said:

Actually, 4K takes a lot more GPU power than CPU power.

just running 4K to watch videos e.t.c? no

1 hour ago, Ryois said:

I've ran macOS as a daily driver before and it was just fine. I was able to use Discord, use Chrome, and such.

My old hackintosh: 

i never said it wouldnt run.. im just saying it is a bad idea because macos sucks

1 hour ago, LamoidZombieDog said:

i never said it wouldnt run.. im just saying it is a bad idea because macos sucks

macOS does not suck. It doesn't fit your use case so it wouldn't be the best OS for you. For me, however, it would fit my usage.

1 hour ago, LamoidZombieDog said:

just running 4K to watch videos e.t.c? no

Gaming on a 1050Ti...it won't happen lol. 

#1: macOS does not suck. It is a very well built OS. It may not run all the Steam games in the world, but it is great for productivity.

#2: Leave the man alone! Let him choose his OS. Him using an OS you dislike does not affect you in any way. He likes it for a reason and if he wanted to use a different one, he would.

As always:

7820x: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/EnsignLedo/saved/ZnmLJx

8700k: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/EnsignLedo/saved/GmfpGX

Main thing: an NZXT x62 will have much better airflow and cool better than the h115i Pro.

Another thing: 1080 Ti or bust. Especially if you might be pushing 4k in the future, many versions of the 1080 Ti are very cheap around $650 now it's stupid not to get one.

But I have to be honest, that 1920x build would be a pretty good call for the Adobe products and VMs. Although, I'm not sure, it may affect your hackintosh abilities. You might be better off with that for performance reasons, but I would get the 7820x build for upgradability in the future. The 10, 12, 14, 16, and 18 core LGA 2066 processors may be pretty cheap in a few years.

1 hour ago, Ryois said:

macOS does not suck. It doesn't fit your use case so it wouldn't be the best OS for you. For me, however, it would fit my usage.

no. Overall its a horrible  OS, it needs stupid Specs, And most programs wont run on it

1 hour ago, Ryois said:

Gaming on a 1050Ti...it won't happen lol. 

it actualy works fine, ive tried it and had a pc with a 1050 2Gb once

no. Overall its a horrible  OS, it needs stupid Specs, And most programs wont run on it

Your opinion...

5 minutes ago, jakep0802 said:

#1: macOS does not suck. It is a very well built OS. It may not run all the Steam games in the world, but it is great for productivity.

#2: Leave the man alone! Let him choose his OS. Him using an OS you dislike does not affect you in any way. He likes it for a reason and if he wanted to use a different one, he would.

yes.. it runs basicly no steam games, and basicly no programs. only insanely popular productive programs like sony vegas photoshop e.t.c run on it

Person from the screenshot popping in to just remind you that if you're gonna Hackintosh you should focus on compatible hardware as well. GPUs really aren't that much of a concern anymore, but if you want to run your Vive under macOS then I'd recommend an NVIDIA GPU. Network adapters will be your other main concern.

It's not a horrible OS, it's very night to use. My programs run on macOS so I'm good.

Just now, DarkSwordsman said:

@LamoidZombieDog If you were a web developer, you would cry if there were no Macbooks to use or Ubuntu to fall back on.

To me, it sounds like you're how I used to be: Uninformed and seeking attention.

He's just a troll wanting attention, like you said.

yes.. it runs basicly no steam games, and basicly no programs. only insanely popular productive programs like sony vegas photoshop e.t.c run on it

I dualboot both macOS and Windows on all my machines. Whilst I use Windows for most things, I've found that productivity-wise, macOS is great. And as for performance, macOS is insanely better than Windows on lower-end hardware. Try running Windows on a 4200RPM HDD, a Core 2 Solo and 1GB of DDR2 RAM. Windows basically unusable. macOS, on the other hand, isn't amazingly fast, but it works and is more than usable for browsing the web.