Adding SSD - which SATA port ASUS VIII Hero

CC268

Sorry for the newb question, but it has been quite a while since I did my desktop build (my first one ever). I currently have a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO and a 1TB WD Blue. Samsung is hooked into SATA6G_1 and the WD Blue is hooked up to SATA6G_2.

I am going to be adding a Samsung 970 EVO Nvme M.2, which is simple enough, as well as a 1TB Samsung 860 EVO (so four drives total now). There are two other SATA ports on this ASUS VIII Hero, but they are labeled SATA6G_E1 and SATA6G_E2. Are these any different? There is also the SATAEXPRESS 12 which is labeled SATA6G_3 through SATA 6G_6.

My guess is I should configure them the following:

SATA6G_1: leave alone - keep it hooked up to 250GB Samsung 850 EVO (OS/Programs)

SATA6G_2: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO

SATA6G_E1 or SATA6G_3?: move the 1TB WD Blue here

Is this correct?

Thanks for the help.

SATA 1.JPG

SATA 2.JPG

| Intel i5-6600K | NZXT Kraken X61 | MSI GTX 980TI | NZXT Kraken X41 | ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Hero Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 16GB | 

|Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W | Fractal Design Define S |

It shouldn't matter which they're plugged in to since you're using a PCIe (NVMe) based card in the M.2 slot. It's only when the M.2 slot is running in SATA mode (SATA based M.2 SSDs) that 2 of the SATA ports (SATA6G_1 & SATA6G_2) are disabled.

M.2 Support
This motherboard features an M.2 slot, which supports both PCIE and SATA modes. The
PCIE mode operates at full PCI Gen. 3.0 x4 speeds. The SATA mode shares bandwidth with
SATA ports 1 and 2 and will automatically disable those ports when an M.2 card is inserted.

When the M.2 (Socket 3) is operating in SATA mode, SATA ports 1 and 2 (SATA6G_12)

will be disabled

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

It shouldn't matter which they're plugged in to since you're using a PCIe (NVMe) based card in the M.2 slot. It's only when the M.2 slot is running in SATA mode (SATA based M.2 SSDs) that 2 of the SATA ports (SATA6G_1 & SATA6G_2) are disabled.

Thanks I noticed that note. So they are equivalent then...

Whats the difference between Intel SATA ports and ASMedia SATA ports? If no difference then why the different name?

| Intel i5-6600K | NZXT Kraken X61 | MSI GTX 980TI | NZXT Kraken X41 | ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Hero Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 16GB | 

|Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W | Fractal Design Define S |

2 minutes ago, CC268 said:

Whats the difference between Intel SATA ports and ASMedia SATA ports? If no difference then why the different name?

The Intel Z170 SATA ports are what are supported by the Z170 chipset on the motherboard. The Asmedia SATA ports are provided by an additional controller added to allow for additional SATA ports on the motherboard beyond the limitations of the Z170 chipset. This is typically only present on the more premium/high end motherboards, such as your Asus Maximus VIII Hero.

The Z170 only supports a maximum of 6 SATA ports.

I/O Specifications

https://ark.intel.com/products/90591/Intel-Z170-Chipset

At the end of the day they all do the same job and all provide Sata III (6.0Gb/s) speed and the motherboard/OS will handle them all the same way, with the aforementioned exception when the M.2 slot is running in SATA mode and two of the SATA ports are disabled [since they share bandwidth].

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

8 hours ago, Spotty said:

The Intel Z170 SATA ports are what are supported by the Z170 chipset on the motherboard. The Asmedia SATA ports are provided by an additional controller added to allow for additional SATA ports on the motherboard beyond the limitations of the Z170 chipset. This is typically only present on the more premium/high end motherboards, such as your Asus Maximus VIII Hero.

The Z170 only supports a maximum of 6 SATA ports.

https://ark.intel.com/products/90591/Intel-Z170-Chipset

At the end of the day they all do the same job and all provide Sata III (6.0Gb/s) speed and the motherboard/OS will handle them all the same way, with the aforementioned exception when the M.2 slot is running in SATA mode and two of the SATA ports are disabled [since they share bandwidth].

Thanks!