High end pc stutters, freezes and bad loading times

ZoliWorks

So I recently built a new gaming system, everything is brand new except my gpu which I had in my old pc for a year, still in warranty and for some reason I'm having stutters and freezes while ingame, sometimes long loading times as well but a stable high fps.

My specs:

CPU: Intel i7 8700 3.2ghz

Motherboard: Gigabyte B360M D3H RAM:

Kingston HyperX FURY Red 1x8gb Ddr4 2666Mhz GPU: Asus STRIX 1050TI 4gb

PSU: nJoy Woden 80+ Gold, 750W

Case: Silentium RG1W

I have a 120gb ssd where I have the system and stuff like unity and blender and a 4tb hdd (barracuda, and the 3 arm version, not the 2 arm one)

I'm planning on upgrading the gpu to a 1070ti and adding another ram stick for a dual channel, but for that I have to turn my cooler around and turn the airflow around otherwise it won't fit.

So my guess the issue is either the single channel ram or the Chinese knockoff barracuda hdd with 3 disks instead of 2. 

Any help appreciated

Well, the long loading times are definitely caused by the HDD. No doubts there.

jup thats a combination of the HDD and only 8GB of single channel RAM.

the RAM is too little to load everything needed into it so it starts to load files from the HDD all the time which is too slow to deliver on time.

That's NOT a high end PC.

You haven't specified which SSD model you have as they actually have differences while in workloads.

8GB RAM Should do you smooth experience in Windows, but in demanding/unoptimized games that won't be the case.

You should see a difference with dual-channel 16GB RAM and a larger/better SSD.

46 minutes ago, voiha said:

That's NOT a high end PC.

You haven't specified which SSD model you have as they actually have differences while in workloads.

8GB RAM Should do you smooth experience in Windows, but in demanding/unoptimized games that won't be the case.

You should see a difference with dual-channel 16GB RAM and a larger/better SSD.

Couldn't remember, did a search, mini ssd wd green 120gb SATA 3 m.2

I have 2x8 GB but can't fit the 2nd card in so I'm going to rotate the cooler, 

Asus cerberus 1070ti is currently shipping. This build costed me around 1200 euros, that's why I said high end 

Also replacing hdd when I find one with 2 disks 

1 hour ago, Konrad_K said:

Well, the long loading times are definitely caused by the HDD. No doubts there.

What I meant by that is that I load all the stuff than the game freezes for a bit before fully loading 

3 minutes ago, ZoliWorks said:

Couldn't remember, did a search, mini ssd wd green 120gb SATA 3 m.2

I have 2x8 GB but can't fit the 2nd card in so I'm going to rotate the cooler, 

Asus cerberus 1070ti is currently shipping. This build costed me around 1200 euros, that's why I said high end 

Also replacing hdd when I find one with 2 disks 

I understand, but as of now, it's fairly normal to have these things. I have i7 7700 paired with gtx 1080 and stutters occur to me too ingame because I have only 8GB RAM at the moment. Wait for your parts and if possible get a bigger SSD, money wise 250GB/500GB is the sweet spot (860 EVO 500GB for example)

3 minutes ago, voiha said:

I understand, but as of now, it's fairly normal to have these things. I have i7 7700 paired with gtx 1080 and stutters occur to me too ingame because I have only 8GB RAM at the moment. Wait for your parts and if possible get a bigger SSD, money wise 250GB/500GB is the sweet spot (860 EVO 500GB for example)

Yeah, definitely a good idea, before this pc I never used ssd, now I see why I should. Atm can't spare any money otherwise I won't have money for driving courses and exam 

6 hours ago, ZoliWorks said:

So I recently built a new gaming system, everything is brand new except my gpu which I had in my old pc for a year, still in warranty and for some reason I'm having stutters and freezes while ingame, sometimes long loading times as well but a stable high fps.

My specs:

CPU: Intel i7 8700 3.2ghz

Motherboard: Gigabyte B360M D3H RAM:

Kingston HyperX FURY Red 1x8gb Ddr4 2666Mhz GPU: Asus STRIX 1050TI 4gb

PSU: nJoy Woden 80+ Gold, 750W

Case: Silentium RG1W

I have a 120gb ssd where I have the system and stuff like unity and blender and a 4tb hdd (barracuda, and the 3 arm version, not the 2 arm one)

I'm planning on upgrading the gpu to a 1070ti and adding another ram stick for a dual channel, but for that I have to turn my cooler around and turn the airflow around otherwise it won't fit.

So my guess the issue is either the single channel ram or the Chinese knockoff barracuda hdd with 3 disks instead of 2. 

Any help appreciated

I have the same issue sometimes, and especially the stuttering. Ive come to the conclusion that its the hdd because whenever it stuttered, i checked all usages, and the only thing that spiked was disk usage to 100%. could be or may not be, could you tell me what youre using for a storage device?

8 hours ago, atomburst said:

I have the same issue sometimes, and especially the stuttering. Ive come to the conclusion that its the hdd because whenever it stuttered, i checked all usages, and the only thing that spiked was disk usage to 100%. could be or may not be, could you tell me what youre using for a storage device?

Wd green mini ssd 120gb for system files and programs like unity and blender and a 4tb 7200rpm barracuda hdd for games movies etc (from what I heard there are 2 variants, one with 2 disks and one with 3, 3 being much worse in performance, I have 3 so I have to change it) didn't monitor the speeds yet, so far was only checking temps and those are stable

6 minutes ago, ZoliWorks said:

Wd green mini ssd 120gb for system files and programs like unity and blender and a 4tb 7200rpm barracuda hdd for games movies etc (from what I heard there are 2 variants, one with 2 disks and one with 3, 3 being much worse in performance, I have 3 so I have to change it) didn't monitor the speeds yet, so far was only checking temps and those are stable

strange.. whats the transfer speed of the hdd/sata cables/mobo sata ports? i.e. 1gb/s 3 gb/s 6gb/s

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:34 AM, atomburst said:

strange.. whats the transfer speed of the hdd/sata cables/mobo sata ports? i.e. 1gb/s 3 gb/s 6gb/s

I have 2 pieces of 6gb/s cables connected into 6gb/s sata 3 slots

20 hours ago, ZoliWorks said:

I have 2 pieces of 6gb/s cables connected into 6gb/s sata 3 slots

and your drives are 6gb/s as well?

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 3:27 PM, atomburst said:

and your drives are 6gb/s as well?

No idea how to check that mate, maybe you can find it somewhere? here are the drives 

Mini SSD Western Digital NEW Green 120GB, SATA3, M.2 WDS120G2G0B

and

Hard disk Seagate BarraCuda 2TB, SATA3, 256MB, 3.5inch ST2000DM005

On 9/21/2018 at 4:05 PM, ZoliWorks said:

No idea how to check that mate, maybe you can find it somewhere? here are the drives 

Mini SSD Western Digital NEW Green 120GB, SATA3, M.2 WDS120G2G0B

and

Hard disk Seagate BarraCuda 2TB, SATA3, 256MB, 3.5inch ST2000DM005

Yup seems like they all are. That is really confusing and was my only problem with a similar issue. Ill think about any other ideas but that was it for not. Sorry, but I wish you good luck!

On 2018. 09. 24. at 2:42 PM, atomburst said:

Yup seems like they all are. That is really confusing and was my only problem with a similar issue. Ill think about any other ideas but that was it for not. Sorry, but I wish you good luck!

Thanks, I'll fix it eventually :P

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of an update, i took my 7 year old 500gb barracuda 7200rpm 8mb hdd and mounted it, moved some software and games onto that, no more freezes or stutters and twice as fast loading times on those now, so i guess my hdd is faulty