Optimizing Storage for Video Editing?

CC268

*** This is a long post - I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to read it ***

Hey guys,

I originally built my PC for gaming - ironically I don't really game (although it was a ton of fun to build my first desktop). The specs are below in my signature, but here is a link to the build if your interested in seeing the current configuration: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bcnnTW

Although I haven't done any gaming, I have started to get into videography (purely for personal use - vacations, family, etc). I have quickly ran into a storage problem as I only have a 250GB SSD (for OS/programs) and a 1TB WD Blue HD. The file sizes from 4K footage are massive (I had some footage from Hawaii that I transcoded to CineForm and it was 670GB!). I've been editing off of the 1TB WD Blue HD, which isn't very optimal (although ironically I haven't had any issues with it being slow - granted I am using proxies). 

I have been doing a ton of research on what my storage upgrade options may be, without it costing me a fortune. Not to mention the computer was built around gaming, and I would have to practically do a new build to overhaul it into a full on editing machine. So, I'd really like to keep the storage upgrades to under $500. 

I came across this YouTube video, which presented sort of the "optimal" storage setup: 

My plan is to do the following:

C Drive: OS & Applications - Keep current Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD or upgrade to Samsung EVO 970 250GB M.2 SSD

D Drive: Project & Source Media, Media Cache & Scratch - Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD or Samsung T5 1TB SSD (INTERNAL or EXTERNAL?)

E Drive (OPTIONAL): For Media Cache & Scratch - Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD (or maybe even put my 250GB Samsung EVO 850 here if I get an M.2 SSD for the C Drive)

E/F Drive: General storage - Keep 1TB WD Blue

External Storage: Buy the OWC docking bay and a few 3.5" 4TB HDs. 

Cloud Storage Secondary Backup: BackBlaze

I would love an NAS (Synology 918+) for external storage, but I can't justify the cost yet. I may decide to get an NAS later down the road though.

What do you guys think? What would you do to optimize my current storage situation without breaking the bank? I think my current plan is pretty good. 

Thanks!

| Intel i5-6600K | NZXT Kraken X61 | MSI GTX 980TI | NZXT Kraken X41 | ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Hero Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 16GB | 

|Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W | Fractal Design Define S |

That looks good. Them main idea is that having a ssd is much faster, and preferably different from the boot drives.

For the edit ssd, look at the mx500 and micro 1100 aswell, good ssds for cheaper

you should absolutely have that D drive as an internal SSD simple for transfer speeds and latency advantages.

what i dont understand yet is that you want to buy these OWC dock thingy, i dont know which model you are looking for exactly but what i have seen was fairly expensive and not really far away from a 918+ which would be much more versatile.

8 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

you should absolutely have that D drive as an internal SSD simple for transfer speeds and latency advantages.

what i dont understand yet is that you want to buy these OWC dock thingy, i dont know which model you are looking for exactly but what i have seen was fairly expensive and not really far away from a 918+ which would be much more versatile.

Thanks that makes sense.

Oh the OWB dock is the "toaster oven" style. It is $60. A little more expensive than some of the alternatives, but it is really good quality. Like I said, if I could afford an NAS I would go that route, but the toaster oven with some WD Blues will be a very easy way to archive my videos for now. 

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/U3DRVDCK2/

| Intel i5-6600K | NZXT Kraken X61 | MSI GTX 980TI | NZXT Kraken X41 | ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Hero Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 16GB | 

|Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W | Fractal Design Define S |