Gaming on Integrated graphics of i7 6700 bad?+Which card for 1080p60hz (upgrading later to 144hz 1ms)

phil7990
Go to solution Solved by ivan134,
8 hours ago, phil7990 said:

No problem man. You still have an RX480 right? So you hit that target with the 480? Maybe with the 580 I won't even need to strap the settings down cause CPU restricts hz/fps right? 100 fps sounds more then enough for me.

So I'm positively sure now about the RX580+144hz. Its more then enough. And at such a cheap price. Either this or a good deal from a used 980ti.

Also, you said high settings right? Well that is kinda what I thought I needed to do. Play on high settigs in multiplayer, and ultra in single player...

Yes to all of those. And mine has no overclock atm, so sitting at 1338 MHz. Most 580s comes with 1340 MHz or higher. 

Hi there, so a week ago, my graphics card died :/ Rip...

So as a result now, I'm playing "warframe" and "league of legends" both on low graphics+I'm doing everything on 1600*900 resolution, for warframe even very low.

Specs:

- 1080p60hz tv (I might upgrade to 1080p 144hz 1ms, but not going further then 1080p) (also "not" interested in freesync or gsync or whatever...)
- Z170 Gaming a motherboard
- i7 6700 non k (boost:3.9-4.0GHz)
- 16 gig ram
- corsair CX750watt psu
- SSD 240 gb
- 770 gtx which died

Games I used to play when I had my old gpu:

- Warframe
- League
- GTA 5
- BF1
- Need for speed 2015 (pc)
- Rise Of The Tomb Raider

Games I'm currently looking forward to have:

- Shadow Of The Tomb Raider
- Battlefield V
- Ace Combat 7
- Maybe some future games wxhere they are working at like a new need for speed game, or a new mass effect game,...

Time:

Well I'm looking to buy a card that can survive atleast 3 years and maybe even 5 years if that's doable.

Price range:

Only "IF" needed, I can go up to 1070 but that's about it. I don't even know if I have enough money for a new monitor then+still need to buy some games too...

Goal:

My goal is to play the games that are listed+maybe upcomming games for the next 2 years at ultra/high settings 60 fps.

Questions:

1) Is this a dangerous thing to do? Like does it hurt my cpu (i7 6700 non k boost:4.0Ghz (booster is deactivated))? Is this doable to game till for instance black friday? If so, that would be nice, extra discounts...

2) Is it true that 144hz=in fact 144fps? Is it true that 1070 can't even get it smoothly? Lets take Battlefield V for instance. Can I then, lower the hz to 60hz if I play single player, and lower the settings and get the hz back up to 144hz for multiplayer? I don't care if I have to do this.

3) Which card for gaming at 1080p60hz (upgrading to 144hz later on)? I'm already looking into a few models. Used 980ti (I try to avoid getting a used as it always is risky though), GTX 1060 6gb, RX580 (maybe OC'ed?) or GTX 1070?

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards!

2 minutes ago, phil7990 said:

CPUs bottleneck your refresh rate/max fps

GPUS bottleneck your resolution/quality settings

Your CPU should still be enough for at least 100fps in the average AAA game

You don't need to change your refresh rate from 144hz down for anything.

Probably just grab an RX 580 8GB so you can get a free-sync 144hz display later, they'll be some of the cheaper displays anyways.

What budget/country for the card?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

14 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Probably just grab an RX 580 8GB so you can get a free-sync 144hz display later, they'll be some of the cheaper displays anyways.

I agree, get a card so you can play all those games, and as long as you regularly dust, the new card could last for ages, I have cards from over 10 years ago that still work perfectly. 

As for the refresh rate (the 144hz), you don't ever need to change that for games. The card will output an amount of frames for the monitor to process and it will process them at its set refresh rate but display at the rate at which the frames can be produced by the card. A FreeSync monitor as suggested will dynamically adjust its refresh rate to the AMD cards frame rate when playing a game, this results in smoothly play

That iGPU is decent and it might actually play some of your games, but not very well, its worth a try though since adding a card is as easy as slotting it in

Main system "Kethlon":

Core i7 3820 - Intel Desktop Board DX79TO - 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM Dual channel - EVGA GTX 1050 Ti SSC - EVGA 550 B3 - PNY 120GB SSD (boot),WD Blue 1TB (Mass Storage)

See profile for full specs

Primary Laptop "Vengeance":

HP HDX16 1370US - Intel Core2Duo P8700 - 4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM Samsung - HGST 1TB 7200RPM (Windows 7, Linux, MacOS 10.11.6) - Nvidia GT 130M 1GB DDR2

Downed Laptop "Xarasky":

MacBookPro3,1 - Core2Duo T7700 - 4GB DDR2 RAM 667MHz - Nvidia 8600M GT 256MB VRAM - 640GB HDD (MacOS and Windows)

Testing laptop #1 "Leonard":

HP 15 F387WM - AMD A8 7410 APU - 8GB DDR3 Samsung RAM 1600MHz - AMD Radeon R5 graphics (1GB VRAM partitioned out of physical RAM) - 500GB WD Blue mobile drive

I would say get the rx 580, as it is perfect for 1080p. Then you can get a freesync 1080p 144hz monitor(almost all cheap gaming minitors have freesync).

If you get freesync monitor then you dont have to worry when game gets less than 144fps, because it automatically syncs monitor and gpu.

It is the same with nvidia gsync, but gsync monitors cost 200$ more than freesync counterparts, so at low end it is completely pointless. Rx580+ freesync anyday over gtx 1060.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

1 hour ago, Streetguru said:

Edit: I see so you would take a freesync over a 144hz as my cpu bottlnecks at that refreshrate?

I live in Belgium. Which is in euro's. 329 euro's for an RX 580 from gygabite.

As for the freesync, I'm not out yet which one to buy. At the moment, the company where I always look for/refere to hardware, I could only find a freesync 60hz 3ms monitor for 230 euros when I typed freesync in the searchbar at that site. This ain't enough I presume. If I'm upgrading, better be something good and worth my money.

for 1080p 144 AAA titles, i recommend 1070 ti

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

56 minutes ago, Vengeance1020 said:

I agree, get a card so you can play all those games, and as long as you regularly dust, the new card could last for ages, I have cards from over 10 years ago that still work perfectly. 

As for the refresh rate (the 144hz), you don't ever need to change that for games. The card will output an amount of frames for the monitor to process and it will process them at its set refresh rate but display at the rate at which the frames can be produced by the card. A FreeSync monitor as suggested will dynamically adjust its refresh rate to the AMD cards frame rate when playing a game, this results in smoothly play

That iGPU is decent and it might actually play some of your games, but not very well, its worth a try though since adding a card is as easy as slotting it in

Ok so, eventhough I already play games with my iGPU, it doesn't hurt my CPU over time?

Also, if I then turn down the settings, that will be enough to get 144hz? It's just so I can enjoy 144hz while playing BFV online just to have a fluent gameplay. Or is 60hz 1ms enough for having such fluent gameplays?

Thanks for saying that of graphics cards getting over 10 years old... Now I have even more difficulties of letting go my 770 gtx :/ :P (joke)

for 1080p 144 AAA titles, i recommend 1070 ti

This is what I was affraid of. I doubt if I will ever have the money for this card. Maybe, with alot of luck, I can afford a 1070 "without" a monitor, but not the ti. That's too much... So I guess it would be better if I bought a RX580 with a good monitor that has a smooth gameplay... I'm currently gaming on a TV monitor that has around 18ms I think... You'll get my point xD

11 minutes ago, phil7990 said:

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Thank you, but I already saw this one. This is taken with 1080p60hz, not 144hz. The problem is, I dont know if I can get 144 or even 120hz with an RX580 at 1080p when settings are a bit downed and not everything is on ultra. If I could, I would do so so that I can game smoothly online...

17 minutes ago, phil7990 said:

Thank you, but I already saw this one. This is taken with 1080p60hz, not 144hz. The problem is, I dont know if I can get 144 or even 120hz with an RX580 at 1080p when settings are a bit downed and not everything is on ultra. If I could, I would do so so that I can game smoothly online...

You can get over 60fps on a 60hz monitor

You'd have to find someone who tested at the lowest settings to find out the max FPS it can deliver

Or check battlefield one results since it's the same engine

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You can get over 60fps on a 60hz monitor

You'd have to find someone who tested at the lowest settings to find out the max FPS it can deliver

Or check battlefield one results since it's the same engine

I saw some video's about 144hz which is way smoother in online gaming, but asuming that 144hz=144fps, that means I need to get 144fps in game? So this could mean I need a higher graphics card?

If this is the case, then there's no point for me in getting 144hz monitor, is there?

1 hour ago, phil7990 said:

I saw some video's about 144hz which is way smoother in online gaming, but asuming that 144hz=144fps, that means I need to get 144fps in game? So this could mean I need a higher graphics card?

If this is the case, then there's no point for me in getting 144hz monitor, is there?

When you have a 144hz display anything above 60fps is going to be better, probably around 100+fps you'll be unlikely to notice further improvements. It's why 240hz monitors are not generally useful aside from pro esports type people.

You also won't be able to get 144fps in every game, usually due to game engine limitations or it just being hard to run in general.

Even with a 1080ti you might get fps dips on say ultra/max settings in games, or something like PUBG is just straight broken and runs poorly in general.

Spoiler

3 hours ago, phil7990 said:

I have the same CPU and I was getting 80 - 100 fps in the beta with settings on high (you want to use high settings because ultra settings decrease performance by an exponential amount that isn't worth the increase in visual fidelity; frostbite is a beautiful engine anyway). Getting 144 fps in not as important in battlefield games compared to overwatch and CSGO. If you can stay in the range I was getting, you'll be able to react to everything. 144 fps is important to me when I play overwatch, but it doesn't affect me when I play bf5 or bfbc2. I'll post screenshots of how the game looks on high when I get home. YouTube videos don't do the game justice

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

2 hours ago, phil7990 said:

No. Even if you don't hit 144 fps in all your games, you'll still get a better experience in the ones you get more than 60 fps.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

9 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

I have the same CPU and I was getting 80 - 100 fps in the beta with settings on high (you want to use high settings because ultra settings decrease performance by an exponential amount that isn't worth the increase in visual fidelity; frostbite is a beautiful engine anyway). Getting 144 fps in not as important in battlefield games compared to overwatch and CSGO. If you can stay in the range I was getting, you'll be able to react to everything. 144 fps is important to me when I play overwatch, but it doesn't affect me when I play bf5 or bfbc2. I'll post screenshots of how the game looks on high when I get home. YouTube videos don't do the game justice

So which monitor do you suggest? 144hz or Freesync or 60hz? Also, what about ms?

47 minutes ago, phil7990 said:

So which monitor do you suggest? 144hz or Freesync or 60hz? Also, what about ms?

Budget/Country?

And you needed a new GPU right?

Spoiler

Yeah, for the monitor, I'll take whats best for as long as 1080p is alive as I'll probably upgrade my card sooner then my monitor anyway.

As for the GPU, I'm kinda out of it. Staying at 1080p, I might as well get the RX580 or 1060. 1070 is still there but would rather use the extra money elsewhere... A used 980ti is also cheap but is kind of risky cause you never know.

Also, in alot of video's, I see that only competitive gamers need high refreshrates and that it'll be useless getting a 144hz monitor for a graphics card that is only capable of running BF5 at 60fps and that the 1070 not even can take 144fps. Is this right?

Now I'm not a competitve gamer. But I do wanna have smooth gaming.

And as stated above, I live in Belgium: 329 euro's for a gygabite RX580 and the monitor, I'm not out yet which one...

Unless that's not what you meant?

4 minutes ago, phil7990 said:

Any 1080p 144hz free-sync display should be fine

for sure want the GPU before the monitor.

Might want to look for an ASUS dual model or something from sapphire/XFX if the price is the same.

Dunno if gigabyte's cooling was fixed on the 580, it was pretty weak on the 480s, about as bad as an MSI Armor card.

Spoiler

46 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Any 1080p 144hz free-sync display should be fine

for sure want the GPU before the monitor.

Might want to look for an ASUS dual model or something from sapphire/XFX if the price is the same.

Dunno if gigabyte's cooling was fixed on the 580, it was pretty weak on the 480s, about as bad as an MSI Armor card.

Ok thanks! Asus is about the same price. I was wondering if gigabyte had bad cooling or not. Someone I know does have a gigabyte but for a 1070 card and they said that the coolers are great. But this is AMD we're talking about so wouldn't know. I'll take asus. By the way, I could wait indeed with monitors since I need money for games too.

Also, taking OC'ed I presume? I don't see any other Asus dual. All sapphires are too expensive, like 150+ more then the price I mentioned. 1XFX is within price range but doesn't have OC. All 8gb Vram. Spoken of which, does it come with a program so I can safely OC?

16 minutes ago, phil7990 said:

It has overclocking in the drivers via "Wattman" lots of third party software otherwise, you can hit 1400mhz on any RX 580, 1500+mhz is the dream, but is unlikely without tons of voltage.

ASUS card review, mine seems fine, cooling seems decent. I just remember jay having really poor thermals on a gigabyte RX 480, might have been fixed whatever the issue was, could have just been a bad card, size seems comparable.

https://hungrygeeks.ph/asus-rx-580-dual-oc-8gb-review-mainstream-choice/

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

It has overclocking in the drivers via "Wattman" lots of third party software otherwise, you can hit 1400mhz on any RX 580, 1500+mhz is the dream, but is unlikely without tons of voltage.

ASUS card review, mine seems fine, cooling seems decent. I just remember jay having really poor thermals on a gigabyte RX 480, might have been fixed whatever the issue was, could have just been a bad card, size seems comparable.

https://hungrygeeks.ph/asus-rx-580-dual-oc-8gb-review-mainstream-choice/

Ok. Yeah unlikely, I'm staying away from voltage... Did that once turned out a bit too hot.

Anyway thank you so much for your time and answers.

I know what to do now. RX580 from asus and later on a 1080p 144hz free-sync monitor.

Edited by phil7990

1 minute ago, phil7990 said:

Ok. Yeah unlikely, I'm staying away from voltage... Did that once turned out a bit too hot.

Anyway thank you so much for your time and answers.

I know what to do now. RX580 from asus and later on a 1080p 144hz free-sync monitor.

You can always just undervolt your GPU for cooler temps without losing performance maybe have to lower mhz to 1300

Should be able to go from 1150 to 1100 mV, there won't be an issue with pushing it so long as you stay under 1200 Think wattman doesn't let you go past that much anyways.

Voltage.png.7a3965ac727cffc0225ef4f477a233b6.png

Spoiler

Ok thanks! But I'm gonna stay off of it as it already allows me some great gaming without oc. If I ever decide to do so, I'll take this into account.

Sorry, the beta is over

7 hours ago, ivan134 said:

Sorry, the beta is over

No problem man. You still have an RX480 right? So you hit that target with the 480? Maybe with the 580 I won't even need to strap the settings down cause CPU restricts hz/fps right? 100 fps sounds more then enough for me.

So I'm positively sure now about the RX580+144hz. Its more then enough. And at such a cheap price. Either this or a good deal from a used 980ti.

Also, you said high settings right? Well that is kinda what I thought I needed to do. Play on high settigs in multiplayer, and ultra in single player...