Help! Need good advice/tips on my first build!

So, I'm going to start off by saying hello my name is Xrah. I'm posting on here to receive some help/ advice on my first build. But i have NOT finished the build, as i am doing extensive research on every part i pick. so as of posting this right now the GPU is missing because i am waiting on seeing how the GEforceRTX 2080/2080ti benchmarks and preforms. I am also missing the PSU because i am having trouble finding the right one, With noise features like for example turning off at a certain wattage at idle. I'm also not that informed on PSU besides the basics. Im looking for a PSU that is at least 80+ Gold. Im predicting that when this build is complete the total wattage will produce about 500W. I am also looking for advice on Storage.

My build is on pcpartpicker but i will list the specs here.

Specs:

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair - H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: TBD (1080ti / 2080 / 2080ti) could use Advice on what gpu to get

Power Supply: TBD

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/PY9Pvn

2 minutes ago, Xrah said:

whats your budget 

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

22 minutes ago, Xrah said:

So, I'm going to start off by saying hello my name is Xrah. I'm posting on here to receive some help/ advice on my first build. But i have NOT finished the build, as i am doing extensive research on every part i pick. so as of posting this right now the GPU is missing because i am waiting on seeing how the GEforceRTX 2080/2080ti benchmarks and preforms. I am also missing the PSU because i am having trouble finding the right one, With noise features like for example turning off at a certain wattage at idle. I'm also not that informed on PSU besides the basics. Im looking for a PSU that is at least 80+ Gold. Im predicting that when this build is complete the total wattage will produce about 500W. I am also looking for advice on Storage.

My build is on pcpartpicker but i will list the specs here.

Specs:

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair - H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Video Card: TBD (1080ti / 2080 / 2080ti) could use Advice on what gpu to get

Power Supply: TBD

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/PY9Pvn

PCPartPicker part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/QZG629
Price breakdown by merchant: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/QZG629/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  ($464.25 @ shopRBC) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($179.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($259.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($197.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($129.99 @ Memory Express) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($129.94 @ Amazon Canada) 
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($95.25 @ shopRBC) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 8GB XC GAMING Video Card  ($1099.99 @ Memory Express) 
Case: NZXT - H700 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($177.99 @ Newegg Canada Marketplace) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($111.99 @ PC-Canada) 
Total: $2847.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-09 22:44 EDT-0400

I would suggest you to go 650W Minimum. Choose anything from Tier 1 & Tier 2. Click here to see the list.

Graphics wise u can go for 1080 Ti. It has more than enough power and price is going lower than ever.

So You Wanna Be A Playa, But Your Rig's Ain't Fly,
You Gotta Hit Us Up, To Get A Pimped Out Rig,

You've Got To Pimp My Riggggggg...  (DAMN RIGHT)

Regarding PSUs, I'd check out the PSU Tier list and choose either a T1 or a T2. They're all of quite high quality.

For the GPU, honestly, I'd recommend getting a 1080ti (perhaps used). Their prices are quite good compared to their performances.

Why are you buying two SSDs instead of getting one with a higher capacity? They're often of better value in higher capacities.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

If you want to stay a little more reasonable price wise, the GTX 1080 is in a pretty good price position right now.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  ($464.25 @ shopRBC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($179.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($259.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($197.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($129.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($129.94 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($95.25 @ shopRBC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card  ($619.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: NZXT - S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($94.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $2272.37
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-09 22:58 EDT-0400

20 minutes ago, lmeneses said:

whats your budget 

Another question is what are they gonna be doing with it?

If you're just gaming an i7 8700K is fine though for any productivity, a Ryzen 7 2700(X) is a good choice

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

25 minutes ago, Xrah said:

~snip

For a PSU, I'm not aware of any models that are programmable. However G2 and G3 PSUs from EVGA are pretty much silent operation for the most part and have an eco button that almost makes it a passive PSU up to a certain % of utilization or something like that.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Biggest tip I can suggest is not related to the parts. Lots of good advice on parts already.

Use a modular power supply, and don't cheap out on it. You don't need like a platinum, but pick a good brand that's gold rated.

Install the ATX and 24-pin cables from said modular power supply to the motherboard before you drop it into place. They can be a real pain to install afterwards - less so since you have an AIO, though. If you are able, install the AIO and put the fan connectors in place before you put the motherboard in. Let the radiator hang out of the case when you install the motherboard with the case on its side.

And put the I/O shield in first before you do anything else, so you make sure not to forget to do it.

Intel i7 8700k | Asus ROG Strix Z370-I | NVidia RTX 2070 Super Reference | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz x 32GB | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD | Custom Loop | Corsair RMx 850w Gold | Phanteks Evolv iTX TG (modded) | Acer Predator XB1

9 hours ago, Xrah said:

With noise features like for example turning off at a certain wattage at idle.

9 hours ago, Xrah said:

You're concerned with PSU noise, but your chosen hard drive is one of the noisiest. Besides the hard drive though, the build looks fantastic.

I'd suggest this hard drive if you need replacement: Toshiba HDWD130UZSVA

21 hours ago, NickPickerWI said:

Biggest tip I can suggest is not related to the parts. Lots of good advice on parts already.

Use a modular power supply, and don't cheap out on it. You don't need like a platinum, but pick a good brand that's gold rated.

Install the ATX and 24-pin cables from said modular power supply to the motherboard before you drop it into place. They can be a real pain to install afterwards - less so since you have an AIO, though. If you are able, install the AIO and put the fan connectors in place before you put the motherboard in. Let the radiator hang out of the case when you install the motherboard with the case on its side.

And put the I/O shield in first before you do anything else, so you make sure not to forget to do it.

thanks for the solid advice thats going to be very helpful during my build process. but another question is since i got a used case i dont see an i/o shield, does it come with the case or MOBO?

12 hours ago, forregacc02 said:

You're concerned with PSU noise, but your chosen hard drive is one of the noisiest. Besides the hard drive though, the build looks fantastic.

I'd suggest this hard drive if you need replacement: Toshiba HDWD130UZSVA

i picked the black series for its gaming and power performance produced. my other choice would have been a WD blue as they go good with ssd's and helps boost ssd. but thank you for letting me know its noisy. im going to look into it. thank you for the advice!

21 hours ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

For a PSU, I'm not aware of any models that are programmable. However G2 and G3 PSUs from EVGA are pretty much silent operation for the most part and have an eco button that almost makes it a passive PSU up to a certain % of utilization or something like that.

i just took a look a the tier list and i saw the top one ( aerocool project 7) it looks to have a programable fan?? like you can set the %? im not quite sure. going to do more research on it. also i am planning on doing soft editing like for youtube, going to upload in 60 fps @ 1080p stuff like that. play high end games at top quality stuff like that, and animation for school. 

22 hours ago, RAM555789 said:

If you want to stay a little more reasonable price wise, the GTX 1080 is in a pretty good price position right now.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  ($464.25 @ shopRBC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($179.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($259.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($197.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($129.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($129.94 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($95.25 @ shopRBC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card  ($619.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: NZXT - S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($94.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $2272.37
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-09 22:58 EDT-0400

I for some reason have a problem with already overclocked cards so im not trying to grab a factory over clocked card. but i definitely am looking for a good 1080ti but im waiting on the RTX 2080's to drop so i can find benchmark on those.

22 hours ago, Imbellis said:

Regarding PSUs, I'd check out the PSU Tier list and choose either a T1 or a T2. They're all of quite high quality.

For the GPU, honestly, I'd recommend getting a 1080ti (perhaps used). Their prices are quite good compared to their performances.

Why are you buying two SSDs instead of getting one with a higher capacity? They're often of better value in higher capacities.

im buying an m.2 and a ssd 

51 minutes ago, Xrah said:

but another question is since i got a used case i dont see an i/o shield, does it come with the case or MOBO?

It comes with the motherboard. Every motherboard has different stuff on the back, so they're custom made to fit the mobo you have.

Intel i7 8700k | Asus ROG Strix Z370-I | NVidia RTX 2070 Super Reference | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz x 32GB | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD | Custom Loop | Corsair RMx 850w Gold | Phanteks Evolv iTX TG (modded) | Acer Predator XB1

Modern, good quality psu all have variable fan control. Most will keep the fan off until either a particular draw is reached and then increase fan speed as more cooling is required. Some have a hybrid mode switch that allows the fan to run continuously at low rpm, ramped up as cooling requirements increase.

Excellent quality, quiet and reasonably priced psu are Seasonic Focus Plus Gold and Corsair RMx.

If this is a gaming and general use system, consider forgoing the Samsung 970 and getting a 1TB ssd. More fast storage is going to offer better all around performance. It also greatly simplifies storage and makes it easier to keep track of things.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

52 minutes ago, brob said:

Modern, good quality psu all have variable fan control. Most will keep the fan off until either a particular draw is reached and then increase fan speed as more cooling is required. Some have a hybrid mode switch that allows the fan to run continuously at low rpm, ramped up as cooling requirements increase.

Excellent quality, quiet and reasonably priced psu are Seasonic Focus Plus Gold and Corsair RMx.

If this is a gaming and general use system, consider forgoing the Samsung 970 and getting a 1TB ssd. More fast storage is going to offer better all around performance. It also greatly simplifies storage and makes it easier to keep track of things.

thanks for the advice, but i thought m.2 is faster than a regular ssd?

45 minutes ago, Xrah said:

thanks for the advice, but i thought m.2 is faster than a regular ssd?

It is, which is why it is so much more expensive. If budget is not an issue, get a 1TB M.2 NVMe drive. Although the performance improvement is hardly noticeable in general use and gaming.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.