In desk drivers

Han Solo

I am going to build a desk computer not unlike the on in Linus’s video, but I want to include speakers built in.  Does anyone know if they will sound half decent or will the shape of the desk make them sound bad?

That comepletly depends how you build the desk and their enclosures

nobody here knows how they will sound without knowing exactly how they are made

1 minute ago, emosun said:

That comepletly depends how you build the desk and their enclosures

nobody here knows how they will sound without knowing exactly how they are made

I saw somewhere that hardwood would be bad for sound but I was confused because I would have thought hardwood would be better.  I think it will be big enough in there but there will be other stuff in there so idk if that would ruin the sound or not.

Why not get a nice pair of speakers to go on top of the desk?

Or, you could try some full range speakers from Parts Express

Then you wouldn't need a crossover, just wire them directly to the amp.

Main system:

Enthoo Primo, X99 Rampage V, 16GB Ripjaws, i7 5820K, 500GB 970 EVO, 1TB 850 EVO, GTX 1080Ti SLI, EKWB custom Water cooling, Acer X34.

Obutto R3volution racing sim, Logitech G27 w/Nardi wheel and custom button plate, Logitech Z906 surround sound.

Home Theater:

Fractal Node 605, Asus Prime Z390A, i5 9600K, 16GB 3200MHz, 2 X 500GB EVO, GTX 1080, 4TB WD, Corsair Lapdog - K63 keyboard, Logitech MX Master 2S,

Samsung Q8F 65", Dreamscreen Cineseat powered recliner sofa.

Denon AVR-X4500H, Dynavoice Challenger surround: M-105, C5 XL, M-65. Klipsch R41-SA Atmos speakers. XTZ 12.16 sub, Dynabel Phobos 12" sub.

2nd system:

Fractal R5, Asus Z-97 A, 16GB 2000MHz, i7 4790K, 240GB 840 EVO, GTX 980Ti SLI, EKWB and Swiftech custom water cooling, Asus Swift PG278Q.

Laptop:

Acer Predator G9-793, i7-7700HQ, 16GB, GTX 1070, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 1080p display OC to 100Hz.

Headphones and DAC/AMP: 

Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO

Sound Blaster X3

2 minutes ago, Havardr said:

Why not get a nice pair of speakers to go on top of the desk?

Or, you could try some full range speakers from Parts Express

Then you wouldn't need a crossover, just wire them directly to the amp.

I just think having them in the front of the desk would be cool.  And yes, I was planning on at least using someone’s plans for a crossover rather than try and design my own.

20 minutes ago, Han Solo said:

I saw somewhere that hardwood would be bad for sound

Sound has less to do with the material than the math that is required for calculating the enclosure size and dimensions needed for the drivers you use.

You need to do a lot of research on how speakers are developed which i assume isn't something you're going to be willing to learn so just buy speakers instead of trying to make your own.

3 minutes ago, Han Solo said:

So full range speakers have the crossover built in?

No, you do not need crossovers because they are FULL RANGE.

As in they play the full "spectrum"

For a 3 inch speaker it's typically 50-60hz up to 15000hz

Main system:

Enthoo Primo, X99 Rampage V, 16GB Ripjaws, i7 5820K, 500GB 970 EVO, 1TB 850 EVO, GTX 1080Ti SLI, EKWB custom Water cooling, Acer X34.

Obutto R3volution racing sim, Logitech G27 w/Nardi wheel and custom button plate, Logitech Z906 surround sound.

Home Theater:

Fractal Node 605, Asus Prime Z390A, i5 9600K, 16GB 3200MHz, 2 X 500GB EVO, GTX 1080, 4TB WD, Corsair Lapdog - K63 keyboard, Logitech MX Master 2S,

Denon AVR-X4500H, Dynavoice Challenger surround: M-105, C5 XL, M-65. Klipsch R41-SA Atmos speakers. XTZ 12.16 sub, Dynabel Phobos 12" sub.

2nd system:

Fractal R5, Asus Z-97 A, 16GB 2000MHz, i7 4790K, 240GB 840 EVO, GTX 980Ti SLI, EKWB and Swiftech custom water cooling, Asus Swift PG278Q.

Laptop:

Acer Predator G9-793, i7-7700HQ, 16GB, GTX 1070, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 1080p display OC to 100Hz.

Headphones and DAC/AMP: 

Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO

Sound Blaster X3

You could try these: Dayton Audio RS-100-4

Main system:

Home Theater:

2nd system:

Laptop:

Headphones and DAC/AMP: 

Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO

Sound Blaster X3

25 minutes ago, Havardr said:

You could try these: Dayton Audio RS-100-4

I just might!  So I would be better of with these than separate ones for mids and highs?

It simplyfies the build considerably.

And if you think it sounds crap after the fact, you can always add crossovers and tweeters later.

The only drawback of full range speakers is they doesn't play much higher then 15K Hz.

So they will sound a bit "warm" a bit like the sound you get from a vinyl player and a tube amp.

Main system:

Home Theater:

2nd system:

Laptop:

Headphones and DAC/AMP: 

Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO

Sound Blaster X3

38 minutes ago, Havardr said:

It simplyfies the build considerably.

And if you think it sounds crap after the fact, you can always add crossovers and tweeters later.

The only drawback of full range speakers is they doesn't play much higher then 15K Hz.

So they will sound a bit "warm" a bit like the sound you get from a vinyl player and a tube amp.

And then would something like this work?

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-xo2w-25k-2-way-speaker-crossover-2500-hz--260-142

You can't just stick drivers in a desk. They need a proper volume enclosure.

Also, if they are in the front of the desk, they will be way too low.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

On 9/10/2018 at 8:12 PM, spwath said:

You can't just stick drivers in a desk. They need a proper volume enclosure.

Also, if they are in the front of the desk, they will be way too low.

Ya I am thinking I will just mount some speakers behind the desk, otherwise, I would have to design the part where the speakers are to be the correct and like you said they would be to low and to the sides of you.

I think the vibrations would be too bad, personally. Even when you try to isolate them

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

Just now, Ross Siggers said:

I think the vibrations would be too bad, personally. Even when you try to isolate them

Might be very annoying to use the mouse and keyboard xD

I mean, going on the basis of when I have my car speakers at a good volume, you can feel the vibrations in other parts of the trim, wheel etc. And I'm not even talking defeaningly loud here.

Maybe it's ebcause my car is slightly older, who can say. But I can only imagine what it'd be like with them bolted directly into a homemade desk :/ 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷