The Most Defining Key Factor of Air Cooler Performance?

_Hustler_One_
2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Probably 1 tier, possibly 2 tiers.

For SR2 heatsink, which size of fan do you think is the most ideal, 120 mm with high pressure or 140 mm fan?

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

Just now, _Hustler_One_ said:

For SR2 heatsink, which size of fan do you think is the most ideal, 120 mm with high pressure or 140 mm fan?

I'm guessing 140mm but it's hard to tell. Push / pull would probably make a bigger difference. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

@WoodenMarkerI have 4 NF-F12 iPPC 3000 rpm fan, 1 on my NH-U12S and the rest as case fan (yes I can tolerate the noise), it's not as loud as I imagine before I use them.

I'm figuring out how it will be if we put 2 NF-F12 fan to the SR2 heatsink in push-pull configuration..

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

1 minute ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

@WoodenMarkerI have 4 NF-F12 iPPC 3000 rpm fan, 1 on my NH-U12S and the rest as case fan (yes I can tolerate the noise), it's not as loud as I imagine before I use them.

I'm figuring out how it will be if we put 2 NF-F12 fan to the SR2 heatsink in push-pull configuration..

Hard to tell without testing. How much of a difference it will make depends on how much the stock fan is holding performance back compared to other factors like the cooler mount. Do you already have the cooler? There are likely better options for the money if you're just going to use pre-owned fans. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

What I like of the NF-F12 iPPC 3000 is that I can set it to 2000 rpm as its max speed without reaching 100% of its speed, and 2000 rpm is the number where it starts to be more audible.. So run it at 2000 rpm is my best balance I can take for the noise.

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

6 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Hard to tell without testing. How much of a difference it will make depends on how much the stock fan is holding performance back compared to other factors like the cooler mount. Do you already have the cooler? There are likely better options for the money if you're just going to use pre-owned fans. 

No, I dont have the SR2, also it wont fit inside my case as it's taller than my case can take. I'm just being curious and itchy to test myself yet I don't want to waste more money.. So let it just be a question which maybe someone else can do the test for us to have the answer.. LOL

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

30 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

There are likely better options for the money if you're just going to use pre-owned fans. 

The SR2 heatsink is the one which become my main object, because it has large surface area, it's such a potency, but it performs not at the level where I expected in 120 mm class.. Instead, Mugen 5 and Fuma is the ones which blows my mind..

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

12 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The 120mm fan included on the Macho Rev. A for example comes at 78.5 m³/h.

Now I'm confused.

On Thermalright's website it said that the Macho Rev. A comes with the TY-147 A PWM, a 140mm diameter fan with mounting holes similar to a normal 120 mm fan.

The only actual 120mm diameter fan in Thermalright's fan catalogue is the TY-127 with a peak airflow of 94,8 m³/h.

If there's a Macho sink with similar performance at 78.5 m³/h, I am seriously interested. 

21 hours ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

What I like of the NF-F12 iPPC 3000 is that I can set it to 2000 rpm as its max speed without reaching 100% of its speed, and 2000 rpm is the number where it starts to be more audible.. So run it at 2000 rpm is my best balance I can take for the noise.

Well, if that's your definition/limit for quiet, then loose fin spacing coolers, like Thermalright Machos, aren't worth it.

They would only waste more space for same surface area compared to tighter fin spacing heatsink.

Or then have less surface area/max cooling capability for same size. (like Macho 120 vs. Mugen 5)

12 hours ago, hereiam said:

Now I'm confused.

On Thermalright's website it said that the Macho Rev. A comes with the TY-147 A PWM, a 140mm diameter fan with mounting holes similar to a normal 120 mm fan.

The only actual 120mm diameter fan in Thermalright's fan catalogue is the TY-127 with a peak airflow of 94,8 m³/h.

If there's a Macho sink with similar performance at 78.5 m³/h, I am seriously interested. 

The Macho Rev A. was the cooler I was referring to that has a 120mm fan with airflow at 78.5 m³/h. As far as I know, the fan isn't for sale apart from the heatsink. Fan airflow by itself isn't all there is nor even most of what makes a cooler's performance.

1 hour ago, EsaT said:

Well, if that's your definition/limit for quiet, then loose fin spacing coolers, like Thermalright Machos, aren't worth it.

They would only waste more space for same surface area compared to tighter fin spacing heatsink.

Or then have less surface area/max cooling capability for same size. (like Macho 120 vs. Mugen 5)

It's for my current setup.. I would like to have a good performer and quiet also..

From what you said, on the opposite, the problem on SR2 which is much more dense fin stacks, it basically only needs a stronger fan, doesn't it?

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

2 hours ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

From what you said, on the opposite, the problem on SR2 which is much more dense fin stacks, it basically only needs a stronger fan, doesn't it?

SR2 simply goes completely off the charts...

Also fewer 8mm heatpipes are likely suboptimal in moving heat to fins.

Strangely enough, one of my cheap mod involves a cardboard box warping around a NH-D9L to make a makeshift "air duct". 

Essentially to force air to go through the fins instead of side way.

Somehow this managed to increase cooling performance without making the thing significantly noisier. 

It looks ugly as hell, but it is in a 4U enclosure anyway so meh.

3 hours ago, hereiam said:

Strangely enough, one of my cheap mod involves a cardboard box warping around a NH-D9L to make a makeshift "air duct". 

Essentially to force air to go through the fins instead of side way.

Somehow this managed to increase cooling performance without making the thing significantly noisier. 

It looks ugly as hell, but it is in a 4U enclosure anyway so meh.

Can you post the pic please? I want to see it how you did it..

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

2 hours ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

Can you post the pic please? I want to see it how you did it..

Please pardon the dust :D

IMG_20180913_110223.jpg

It's two CPUs in a row, literally, so I made a cardboard air duct. Had a lot of grief trying to make a low noise rack full of 4Us, so this was my solution. Cheap, ugly, but it works.

31 minutes ago, hereiam said:

Please pardon the dust :D

IMG_20180913_110223.jpg

It's two CPUs in a row, literally, so I made a cardboard air duct. Had a lot of grief trying to make a low noise rack full of 4Us, so this was my solution. Cheap, ugly, but it works.

LOL nice wind tunnel.. Can I test my Mouse aerodinamics in there? :D

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs: