Advertisements?

Psittac

Just curious how everyone feels about advertisements?  For the past year or two I have had subscriptions to all of the media I consume and short of the comedy station on the radio I have no interaction with ad's.  I don't watch broadcast TV or listen to broadcast radio (other than comedy station) and everything I use online is paid and ad free.  Over the past several month's I have been cutting back my subscriptions but the final straw was youtube red, it ran out tonight and the sudden influx of commercials (one or two per video) is just shocking.  It's not as bad as broadcast television where 1/3 of your time is watching commercials....... but wow, I never realized how much I watch youtube and how much I hate commercials.

The only "commercials" I come across are sponsored spot's on my tech channels and I actually enjoy them and would prefer they are there.  They are targeted and presented in a way that is unobtrusive.

Does anyone else have an issue with ad's or can you just drown them out?

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

For music streaming and stuff like that, I never use those. Mostly because the free versions are all terrible, advertisements put aside.

I've started getting ads on Twitch when I pop into streams, not sure why that's a thing...

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

7 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

For music streaming and stuff like that, I never use those. Mostly because the free versions are all terrible, advertisements put aside.

I've started getting ads on Twitch when I pop into streams, not sure why that's a thing...

Prime got the "100% ad free" dropped from it's feature list. I was of the understanding that this wasn't in effect until your reoccurring membership ran out, or you were a new subscriber however.

Streamers have the option to enable or disable ads for non-subscribers I believe.

Twitch turbo should still be completely ad free.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

19 minutes ago, Psittac said:

As someone who has zero subscriptions to services, ads are life 

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

Advertisements I have no problem with. Data mining and fingerprinting you without consent is what I have a problem with. There are also ads that are malicious. Either advertising a scam or trying to actually push out malware...I also have a problem with that.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, Semper said:

Prime got the "100% ad free" dropped from it's feature list. I was of the understanding that this wasn't in effect until your reoccurring membership ran out, or you were a new subscriber however.

Streamers have the option to enable or disable ads for non-subscribers I believe.

Twitch turbo should still be completely ad free.

I don't subscribe to channels. Previously, my normal adblock was fine and I only had that problem when using the mobile app.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

9 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I don't subscribe to channels. Previously, my normal adblock was fine and I only had that problem when using the mobile app.

I'm not sure what's going on there, in that case. I haven't watched a channel i'm not subscribed to since their ad integration design changed, so i'm not sure if adblock is working or not. Let's go see if I can find a channel with ads running.

Update: It appears that ads are now integrated into the data stream of the actual stream. Adblock is no longer working for me either.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

I’m okay with ads as long as they don’t get in the way of content. Ie, don’t put an ad before my video, don’t put an ad before my song, don’t put an ad that plays audio when I didn’t ask it to. 

This forum has ads and i read them every now and then. Adata SSD and whatnot. If ads were doing this and not getting in the way, I wouldn’t be using ad block. 

So I tried using Hulu which is subscription based but still has ads unless you pay for the higher tier plan. I have it because of my Student Spotify account which partners with Hulu. Anyways I was going to use it catch up with Black Clover (don't judge me) and each episode is 22 minutes long. Well Hulu decided that 5 advertising slots was acceptable for that length of time, fine. First few ads I got were a measly 15 or maybeee 30 seconds long. Well after that each advertisement (for a single product) was minimum 90 seconds. The worst bit is that there was one before the episode started, the show's opening theme plays, and then immediately another ad. Then another 3 minutes after that, another advertisement.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

The only thing I really despise ads on (besides YouTube putting multiple ads in the middle of a fucking video, bonus points when its the SAME AD) is Spotify, not sure I even need to go into the reasons why.

Luckily for me, I got a lifetime subscription to Spotify Premium for $2.