Wanting to do 144hz but unsure about what CPU to get

Currently, I have a i5 4690 paired with a GTX 970. I want to get a 144hz monitor and a GTX 1080, but I don't know what CPU to upgrade to. Like, should I get a i5 8600k, 8400 or an i7 8700k. I'm not sure and I don't want to bottle neck a 1080.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, please let me know.

[PC Specs]

CPU: i5 4690

GPU: MSI GTX 970 4GB

RAM: 16GB hyperx @1600Mhz

MOBO: MSI H97 Gaming 3

HDD: WD Blue 1TB (replacing with a berracuda 2TB today)

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB

PSU: Corsair CX 500W

If you're not budget limited go straight for the 8700k

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

well a pentium 1 can run a 144hz monitor , basically comes down to "what are you planning on doing with it"

If for example you play minecraft , then you don't need a cpu just get the monitor , ect......

3 minutes ago, CCouper05 said:

Currently, I have a i5 4690 paired with a GTX 970. I want to get a 144hz monitor and a GTX 1080, but I don't know what CPU to upgrade to. Like, should I get a i5 8600k, 8400 or an i7 8700k. I'm not sure and I don't want to bottle neck a 1080.

[PC Specs]

CPU: i5 4690

GPU: MSI GTX 970 4GB

RAM: 16GB hyperx @1600Mhz

MOBO: MSI H97 Gaming 3

HDD: WD Blue 1TB (replacing with a berracuda 2TB today)

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB

PSU: Corsair CX 500W

Just now, bleedblue said:

If you're not budget limited go straight for the 8700k

i agree with bleedblue,

but an 8600k at 5.0ghz will match and 8700k in most games.

I may be wrong.

6 minutes ago, CCouper05 said:

Right direction is - buy monitor first, then check, then think about upgrade your computer.

36 minutes ago, emosun said:

well a pentium 1 can run a 144hz monitor , basically comes down to "what are you planning on doing with it"

If for example you play minecraft , then you don't need a cpu just get the monitor , ect......

I plan to play games like Overwatch, Farcry 5, rainbow six siege, fortnite and PUBG with the highest settings possible

If you want to play Farcry 5 or games like that on 144Hz monitor with highest settings possible in game, you must wait for 2 generations of processors and 1 generation of graphics cards. I saw Farcry 5 on youtube in max settings on 8700K+1080Ti and it reached 90-110 FPS, so not so close to 144Hz.

8600K, :D then just use the Money for a Better cooler/Better GPU/Better Mobo, OC it to 5GHZ or even more 

(i imagine at about 80$ you save over an 8700k you could pick up a really sweet air cooler that could handle 5.2, and maybe use 20$ for delidding if you are into that stuff :3c)  

Or Maybe just wait for the 9700K to touch down if it is touching down in october from what i hear 

If you can afford it, an i7-8700k. If you can't, the 8600k is still really good. I run 144Hz on an R7 2700X, it's not as difficult to achieve as it's made out to be, but it depends primarily on the title.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

3 hours ago, CCouper05 said:

I plan to play games like Overwatch, Farcry 5, rainbow six siege, fortnite and PUBG with the highest settings possible

The answer to this is almost never. Modern games on modern hardware with max settings will almost never hit 144fps.