Configure Raspberry Pi as access point to connect via Ethernet

Crunchy Dragon

Afternoon all,

I've got a couple systems down in my basement that don't have internet currently, and rather than spending money on dongles and stuff, I figured I'd start working on my networking knowledge a bit more.

The problem:

I want to get internet to at least one of the systems down here. I've been thinking of using a Raspberry Pi to do so since I've got one sitting around not doing much.

Would it be possible for me to connect the Pi to the internet via Wi-Fi, and then connect it to a switch via Ethernet to allow me to run cables to the other systems as needed?

If so, what would be the best way of going about doing that?

Tools:

I've got network cables for days, 1x system that has a WLAN connection(typing on it now), 1x spare Raspberry Pi 3 Model B, 1x 5-port Ethernet switch, and 1x system I want internet on.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, networking really isn't my strong suit and I've just recently started learning more about it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

6 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Would it be possible for me to connect the Pi to the internet via Wi-Fi, and then connect it to a switch via Ethernet to allow me to run cables to the other systems as needed?

Yes, but your much better off getting a wireless bridge for this.

If you want to do this just make a bride in linux.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yes, but your much better off getting a wireless bridge for this.

If you want to do this just make a bride in linux.

"Getting" implies spending money, correct? I'd rather accomplish my goal with things I have around the home since, assuming it is possible, I have the necessary items that I will need.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

In my experience yes you can connect at least one system, and fairly easily as well (as long as it has Windows 10 on it, I don't know about how to do this with Linux) and I can quickly walk you through it, but a Wi-Fi adapter would be a much more elegant option with less lag, you could also use an (some) old Android phones for this.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

"Getting" implies spending money, correct? I'd rather accomplish my goal with things I have around the home since, assuming it is possible, I have the necessary items that I will need.

your gonna need a wifi usb card, might as well just put that in your desktop.

Just now, Wh0_Am_1 said:

In my experience yes you can connect at least one system, and fairly easily as well (as long as it has Windows 10 on it, I don't know about how to do this with Linux) and I can quickly walk you through it, but a Wi-Fi adapter would be a much more elegant option with less lag, you could also use an (some) old Android phones for this.

One system is all I need. It currently runs Windows 10 Pro.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

your gonna need a wifi usb card, might as well just put that in your desktop.

I recognize that an adapter would be the best option, but I wanted to tinker with this kind of stuff before deciding to just order one off Amazon.

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

recognize that an adapter would be the best option, but I wanted to tinker with this kind of stuff before deciding to just order one off Amazon.

What distro does the pi have? just make a network bride in linux.

What distro does the pi have? just make a network bride in linux.

Raspbian, latest. Currently in the middle of finishing the setup process since it originally had a different ROM from a previous tinkering session.

Raspbian, latest. Currently in the middle of finishing the setup process since it originally had a different ROM from a previous tinkering session.

Google Network bridge in linux and set it up. Did you google first? There are many guides around.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Google Network bridge in linux and set it up. Did you google first? There are many guides around.

I was in the middle of googling, yes.

12 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

One system is all I need. It currently runs Windows 10 Pro.

I recognize that an adapter would be the best option, but I wanted to tinker with this kind of stuff before deciding to just order one off Amazon.

Ok, this solution requires that the Raspberry Pi has a Wi-Fi connection (and once again Windows on both machines) once the computer and the pie are connected via ethernet, (on the pi) you click on the Wi-Fi logo in the bottom right corner or go to networks in settings, then under status you will see an option labeled "change adapter options" select that and a window will appear labeled "network connections in which you will see on the left that your computer detects an unknown network (if it is connected to the computer via ethernet) and on the right it should show the connected Wi-Fi network right click that, and a menu will pop up with multiple options, select the one labeled "properties" then another window will pop up with 2 tabs select the one labeled "sharing" and then click the upper box that will share the network with other computers, and then click OK, the other computer should then connect to the internet via ethernet.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Just now, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Ok, this solution requires that the Raspberry Pie has a Wi-Fi connection (and once again Windows on both machines) once the computer and the pie are connected via ethernet, (on the pi) you click on the Wi-Fi logo in the bottom right corner or go to networks in settings, then under status you will see an option labeled "change adapter options" select that and a window will appear labeled "network connections in which you will see on the left that your computer detects an unknown network (if it is connected to the computer via ethernet) and on the right it should show the connected Wi-Fi network right click that, and a menu will pop up with multiple options, select the one labeled "properties" then another window will pop up with 2 tabs select the one labeled "sharing" and then click the upper box that will share the network with other computers, and then click OK, the other computer should then connect to the internet via ethernet.

Windows on both machines? As in, the designated system as well as the one I'm aiming to set up as the access point?

Windows on both machines? As in, the designated system as well as the one I'm aiming to set up as the access point?

Yes, I imagine that you can do the same on Linux, but I am unfamiliar with the process. 

2 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Ok, this solution requires that the Raspberry Pi has a Wi-Fi connection (and once again Windows on both machines) once the computer and the pie are connected via ethernet, (on the pi) you click on the Wi-Fi logo in the bottom right corner or go to networks in settings, then under status you will see an option labeled "change adapter options" select that and a window will appear labeled "network connections in which you will see on the left that your computer detects an unknown network (if it is connected to the computer via ethernet) and on the right it should show the connected Wi-Fi network right click that, and a menu will pop up with multiple options, select the one labeled "properties" then another window will pop up with 2 tabs select the one labeled "sharing" and then click the upper box that will share the network with other computers, and then click OK, the other computer should then connect to the internet via ethernet.

you realize the pi can't run normal windows right? You need to make a bridge in linux, normally in the terminal. This won't work.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you realize the pi can't run normal windows right? You need to make a bridge in linux, normally in the terminal. This won't work.

Ugh! I forgot that the Pi runs the IoT version!

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Though it seems Bas Timmer with an article at Gizmodo got it to work after some effort.

why would you do that though.

Because  why not? 

Hey Crunchy, do you have any old Android phones?

1 minute ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Hey Crunchy, do you have any old Android phones?

Galaxy S3 with awful battery life, why?

Galaxy S3 with awful battery life, why?

You could just use that to get internet on your PC.

Ok, what you do is you first grab a USB cable and then plug the phone in, you then open settings, and look under networks and open the tab labeled "tethering" and then turn on USB Tethering, your PC will recognize it as an Ethernet connection.

Just now, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Ok, what you do is you first grab a USB cable and then plug the phone in, you then open settings, and look under networks and open the tab labeled "tethering" and then turn on USB Tethering, your PC will recognize it as an Ethernet connection.

This of course also requires the phone to be on as often as internet is needed?

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

This of course also requires the phone to be on as often as internet is needed?

It could be asleep, or locked, but yes it needs to be on.