Building a new gaming PC

sleepydeveloper

Hi guys! I'm from Singapore and really new here. I'm trying to build a new rig for my girlfriend.

1. Budget & Location

Keeping it below SGD $3,500, SGD $4,000 is kinda stretching it.

• CPU: Intel i7-8700
  • Cooler: NZXT Kraken x52
  • Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z370-E
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 2400mhz
  • GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 OC
  • Case: NZXT H500 Black
  • Storage: Samsung Evo 860 1TB
  • PSU: EVGA Supernova 750G+ Modular

2. Aim

It's for playing higher end games like Monster Hunter World, Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy XIV. Not really a productivity machine.

3. Monitors

We have a wide screen monitor right now, LG Ultrawide 32" at 60FPS. Not really looking to upgrade yet.

4. Peripherals

We just need the Windows 10 Home OS.

5. Why are you upgrading?

My girlfriend has been staring at my rig when we're playing the same games, and she's really envious of the graphics. So she's getting one too. xD

Do let me know if this is something you'd recommend!

EDIT: So with everyone's help I'm revising my build:

• CPU: Intel i7-8700K
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2400mhz
Edited by sleepydeveloper

There is no point of such a high-quality mobo if you aren't gonna overclock, upgrade your processor from an i7 8700 to an i7 8700K. Pls make that investment, it completely worth your money(it only like an extra 20 usd). You will never need 32gb of ram even if ur doing heavy gaming. Only if you are editing videos, then only get 32gb, for now get 16gb ram and save your money.

32GB of ram isn't really necessary, for games 16GB is plenty. As for the rest, it's a nice no compromise build, but be aware that both nvidia and intel are on the verge of launching new hardware - if you want this now, sure, go for it, but waiting just a couple of months may be worth it. I'd also go for the 8700K considering the rest of your build and the fact that you're getting a high end cooler.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

For that much money you probably be better off getting the 8700k and dropping the ram to 16, the money you’d save on ram would make up for the extra bit towards the cpu

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

32GB of ram isn't really necessary, for games 16GB is plenty. As for the rest, it's a nice no compromise build, but be aware that both nvidia and intel are on the verge of launching new hardware - if you want this now, sure, go for it, but waiting just a couple of months may be worth it. I'd also go for the 8700K considering the rest of your build and the fact that you're getting a high end cooler.

5 minutes ago, ZeouLs said:

You dont need a Z Series motherboard without a K version CPU, wasted money

3 minutes ago, Mr alex said:

For that much money you probably be better off getting the 8700k and dropping the ram to 16, the money you’d save on ram would make up for the extra bit towards the cpu

Hmm I should add that she's a tab monster, and Google Chrome has a huge resource hog. Personally I open my code editor with 12 tabs and Docker and it hits 12GB already.

She also opens Photoshop from time to time so I thought 32GB would be a better idea.

I think I'd get that 8700K then.

2 minutes ago, CatCam1 said:

Drop to 16gbs of ram and add a 8700K and a 1080ti

Think the 1080TI would really blow the budget, it's an extra SGD $300 here.

1 minute ago, sleepydeveloper said:

Hmm I should add that she's a tab monster, and Google Chrome has a huge resource hog. Personally I open my code editor with 12 tabs and Docker and it hits 12GB already.

She also opens Photoshop from time to time so I thought 32GB would be a better idea.

The cores and threads with the 8700k will help that as well

3 minutes ago, sleepydeveloper said:

I use edge and i currently have 28 tabs open with 4gbs of ram in my laptop so…

10 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Oh, is this about the 9th gen chips? There's rumors it's delayed though.

Just now, CatCam1 said:

or go with ryzen 2 in a couple of months

How's Ryzen chips? I've seen a couple of reviews from LTT, but it seems geared more towards productivity rather than consumer use.

I know there's a consumer line though. Is that any good?

6 minutes ago, sleepydeveloper said:

I often have over 100 chrome tabs open and I still have plenty of ram available on my 16GB system. The thing is tabs go into hibernation when they're not being used and they don't use a lot of resources anyway. Most of what you see is caching. Docker is a little different because well, you're basically loading up an entire userspace or almost.

4 minutes ago, sleepydeveloper said:

Oh, is this about the 9th gen chips? There's rumors it's delayed though.

They should come out by the end of the year. Either way I was mostly concerned with the 20xx series from nvidia which is scheduled for release by the end of september.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

8 minutes ago, Mr alex said:

The cores and threads with the 8700k will help that as well

5 minutes ago, CatCam1 said:

I use edge and i currently have 28 tabs open with 4gbs of ram in my laptop so…

Chrome is infamously bad at resource management, but it's the most common so...

I guess I can still get 16GB and upgrade at any time if it really turns out not enough. 

How's Ryzen chips? I've seen a couple of reviews from LTT, but it seems geared more towards productivity rather than consumer use.

They're VERY good and more cost effective than Intel's chips, however they are slightly slower in games. For most use cases I'd recommend a ryzen but, if all she does is play games, you might as well get an i7.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Theyre almost on par with intel for gaming 

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

They're VERY good and more cost effective than Intel's chips, however they are slightly slower in games. For most use cases I'd recommend a ryzen but, if all she does is play games, you might as well get an i7.

2 minutes ago, CatCam1 said:

Theyre almost on par with intel for gaming 

Nice. Thanks!

I think I'm more familiar with Intel so I'd go for that for now, I would have to get another cooler for Ryzen as well right?

I would have to get another cooler for Ryzen as well right?

No, you'd just need a different mounting bracket. Most coolers come with both in the box, check the compatibility list.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

19 minutes ago, Sauron said:

No, you'd just need a different mounting bracket. Most coolers come with both in the box, check the compatibility list.

Alright! 

So with everyone's help I'm revising my build:

• CPU: Intel i7-8700K
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2400mhz

44 minutes ago, sleepydeveloper said:

Think the 1080TI would really blow the budget, it's an extra SGD $300 here.

try look for a used one on carousell, sellers are dropping cards they used for mining there for $800 or so and they only have a few months less warranty.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

5 hours ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

try look for a used one on carousell, sellers are dropping cards they used for mining there for $800 or so and they only have a few months less warranty.

I have concerns with the lifespan of the cards, since they've been taxing it without proper cooling. Would that be a problem?

17 hours ago, sleepydeveloper said:

I have concerns with the lifespan of the cards, since they've been taxing it without proper cooling. Would that be a problem?

they don't keep it badly cooled since most of them know that they won't be able to sell it easily if they don't maintain it well. they usually just have it mining for a few months with open-air mining frames with fans while running them slightly undervolted.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W