NZXT Build standoff question

TomMorgan

Brand new build - having trouble and won't POST or even come on the monitor

A checklist on Tom's Hardware asked if the standoffs were installed under the motherboard -

my NZXT H500 says it came with 4 but at no point did it say to use them when installing the board

Could this be the issue ?  

My other concern is - the heatsink for the Ryzen 5 2600 seemed to need me to take the brackets off of the board to fit over the processor - The Ryzen showed 3 examples of board installs in the instructions - but each was a bit different than the 1070ti - It seemed these needed to be removed for the heatsink - everything powers up - but I have nothing to the monitor - parinoid I'm frying something

Thanks in advance for any ideas ?

It might be, just try it. Its better to install them than not. Try running your system outside of the case. It elliminates some parts on the 'broken checklist'

Also the board is Aorus B450 PRO - the GTX 1070ti is the video card

Should those brackets come off for the Ryzen 5 - Anyone know for certain

Are you getting any beep codes?

Could you take a clear picture of the motherboard?

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

1. Wraith stealth (the cooler that came with the cpu) needs u to remove the brackets on the motherboard to install. Make sure u hold the backplate behind the motherboard so that u can mount the coolers and screw it in.

2. You are supposed to use the standoffs to support your board. Each holes (on the motherboard) should be supported by the screw hole.

3. Did u plug in the Video cable to the motherboard or the gpu? Make sure it's connected to the gpu.

4. If everything is done accordingly, remove all the rams. Just use 1 and test in each DIMM slots until the system posts.

RAM 1 + DIMM_A1 > RAM 1 + DIMM_A2 > RAM 1 + DIMM_B1 > RAM 1 + DIMM_B2 if no posts, try with RAM 2 and do it accordingly until the system posts. (for eg; if the system posts with RAM 2 + DIMM_A2, then stop, it means u have RAM or DIMM Slots issues).

So You Wanna Be A Playa, But Your Rig's Ain't Fly,
You Gotta Hit Us Up, To Get A Pimped Out Rig,

You've Got To Pimp My Riggggggg...  (DAMN RIGHT)

@Imbellis - no beeps at all

@Mikedrewsmy

Thanks - I did have to hold the backplate to get the tensions correct on the cooler - I

will try the standoffs - however - although the NZXT H500 shows them in the supplies (listed as "H" - 4 included - it doesn;t say in the installation guide of the box to mount the standoffs and I question if I ever even saw that bag

Here's the guide for the NZXT H500

https://sta3-nzxtcorporation.netdna-ssl.com/uploads/download/attachment/710/H500i_H500-manual-ver4-071618_-_web.pdf

Here's the board attached photo

motherboard.jpg

What are you trying to boot off of?

Have you tried booting with only one stick of RAM?

I can't quite see in the photo, but is the CPU's fan connected to CPU_FAN or CPU_OPT?

Have you tried connecting it to a display with a different output?

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

16 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

What are you trying to boot off of?

Have you tried booting with only one stick of RAM?

I can't quite see in the photo, but is the CPU's fan connected to CPU_FAN or CPU_OPT?

Have you tried connecting it to a display with a different output?

On my way from the office soon to jump back in - I did try the new display with a different output - we are good there no problems

CPU_FAN - and it comes on

Going to test RAMS and DIMMs once I get home - it's all BRAND NEW - frustrating

2 minutes ago, TomMorgan said:

On my way from the office soon to jump back in - I did try the new display with a different output - we are good there no problems

CPU_FAN - and it comes on

Going to test RAMS and DIMMs once I get home - it's all BRAND NEW - frustrating

What monitor is having the problem?

I'm thinking that it could be the cable's fault. You could try lowering the framerate.

It seems like this user also had a similar problem (link).

> Right click screen
> Screen resolution
> "1920x1080" (If this is what your resolution is)
> Advanced settings
> Monitor = 59/60hz

@Imbellis

https://www.samsung.com/us/business/products/computing/monitors/800-series/sh850-series-26-9-ls27h850qfnxgo/

I can't even get a signal or a beep - although the LEDs light up on the keyboard and there's power to the board -

We did get a signal to the monitor from a separate laptop via HDMI in - so the cord and monitor are working - although this monitor has a funky soft toggle

Ok.  Tried testing all Ram and slots. Also standoff’s were all pre-installed.  Same issue. CPU LED is lit red on the board so I’m re-inserting the CPU and heatsink. Here’s a pic.  I don’t see any pin issues.  

795453F8-9AF4-45D8-AFD4-577F94BA6ADB.jpeg

Reseated the CPU. Rotated the heat sink.  Got BIOS finally by adding the Graphics card and going out of that peripheral instead of the motherboard HDMI, reseating the battery to reset CMOS and booting with only that and RAM.  Phew