GTX 1080 - Voice of reason, Do I really need it??

Vash.
Go to solution Solved by xg32,

as some1's 

21 minutes ago, Vash. said:

as some1's who's used a wide gamut monitor for gaming for many years (1440p 60hz atm)

Here's my current thought process. The next realistic monitor upgrade is going to be 4k/120hz/hdr, so that already kicks the 1080 out the window, which depending on your budget also skips the 20xx gen, this is NOT a bad thing. The bandwidths of the cable atm (dp1.4) only supports 4k/98hz with hdr enabled. I'd stick with 60hz for now (no need for 1080) if it goes overbudget. I

f you get a 1080 right now it's not futureproof (barely games at 4k), better off waiting on a better upgrade

Basically we are about 2 years away from having the ideal setup, the tech falls a bit short on multiple fronts.

looks good has adobe color of 99% looks like a great 4k monitor. but i personally would still check for a trial period just in case there's something about it you don't like

if at first you don't break it you must have followed the directions

3 minutes ago, xg32 said:

it's only an issue at 4k/120hz with hdr on, there's no problem there for 60hz monitors, i think a nicely priced 1070 would be perfect.

Brilliant!! Cheers for that mate. Looking at $600 AUD for NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition

20 minutes ago, Onboard87 said:

looks good has adobe color of 99% looks like a great 4k monitor. but i personally would still check for a trial period just in case there's something about it you don't like

Yup yup, will do!! Cheers for that @Onboard87