New M.2

butters9m
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

If you just want the os on the new drive do a reinstall.

Id get a 250gb or 500gb ssd.

What drive? Id get a 250gb sata over a 120gb nvme anyday.

Im getting a new m.2, and was wondering what the best way would be to transfer windows to the new m.2. Im not sure if it would be possible to have the m.2 ass a boot device, only containing data need to boot, then storing programs else ware. the m.2 is 120gb so i cant just put all of my programs on it (i have 900gb of data right now).  

the current drive is a hdd which has windows and programs, l would like to boot off of the m.2 but keep the programs on the hdd

Just now, butters9m said:

ok, im just new to this stuff, so if I install windows onto the new drive, how can i access my old programs?

You can transfer the rest of your data onto another drive (1TB WD Blue is about $40) and access it from there

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

ok, im new to this, so how can i access my old programs if i install windows on the new drive and boot off of it?

ok, im new to this, so how can i access my old programs if i install windows on the new drive and boot off of it?

Normally you need to reinstall programs due to how the files are in the registry. You can sometimes just copy files. Depends on the programs.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Normally you need to reinstall programs due to how the files are in the registry. You can sometimes just copy files. Depends on the programs.

what about settings, its not a big deal but would they reset because its a fresh install?

1 minute ago, butters9m said:

what about settings, its not a big deal but would they reset because its a fresh install?

yep a fresh install will reset everything.

What os? You can sync some settings.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

yep a fresh install will reset everything.

What os? You can sync some settings.

windows

there are apps that claim to move boot files from one drive to the other, but those never worked properly for me.... better do a full reinstall on the new SSD instead.

You need not clear up the old boot drive yer, you can do that after the new SSD sucessfully starts up and works properly,

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

what windows...

What ssd are you getting?

windows 10

its a corsair 120gb

windows 10

its a corsair 120gb

what drive? Why that model? Id probably just get a drive like a mx500 250gb here.  120gb is just too small.

you should be able to sync settings in your microsoft account, but normally all settings are reset

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what drive? Why that model? Id probably just get a drive like a mx500 250gb here.  120gb is just too small.

you should be able to sync settings in your microsoft account, but normally all settings are reset

mp300 i think

im getting it for windows only so i dont really care

that was another thing i meant to ask about, product keys how do they work with the reinstall?

m getting it for windows only so i dont really care

Problem is that windows gets bigger over time with updates.

Also bigger drives are faster.

And you want programs and some games on a ssd, it makes them much faster.

that was another thing i meant to ask about, product keys how do they work with the reinstall?

Should just transfer over, try the old key again.

mx300 i think

That drive is old, unless its very cheap get the newer faster mx500. Also thats a micron drive, not corsair.

Problem is that windows gets bigger over time with updates.

Also bigger drives are faster.

And you want programs and some games on a ssd, it makes them much faster.

Should just transfer over, try the old key again.

That drive is old, unless its very cheap get the newer faster mx500. Also thats a micron drive, not corsair.

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CSSD-F120GBMP300-Network-Attached-Storage/dp/B07D9C2WPV/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1535664506&sr=1-1&keywords=corsair+force+mp300+m.2+2280+120gb

i will consider the new one, can you provide a link?

12 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

ok, i will try to return the old one, thanks for the help! any last links or any info that i should know about reinstalling windows?

ok, i will try to return the old one, thanks for the help! any last links or any info that i should know about reinstalling windows?

Just make a bootable usb and install from there. Id unplug all other drives. Whats the rest of the system?

Just make a bootable usb and install from there. Id unplug all other drives. Whats the rest of the system?

i7 7000

msi gaming x gtx 1070

12gb of ram

gigabyte b250m ds3h motherbord

1tb hdd (im getting a 4tb as well)

i7 7000

msi gaming x gtx 1070

12gb of ram

gigabyte b250m ds3h motherbord

1tb hdd (im getting a 4tb as well)

that should work fine. Id return teh 120gb if you can but it will work fine if you can't.

that should work fine. Id return teh 120gb if you can but it will work fine if you can't.

will do, thanks for the help!