Any point in a second pc?

Hi! not gonna lie im bored, and was thinking of building a second hand parts PC on a tight budget, using an overclocked xeon x3440, but i'm not 100% sure if i would have a use for it. I do stream so my GF can watch me, but that's not exactly needing of a second PC( she doesnt mind my low bit depth :P), and when building lighting in unreal engine i can use the "swarm agent" to utilise the second pc. I know i could use it for a NAS but that doesn't interest me either. All these so far do not seem worth it to me.

Is there any other uses for a second PC? Something i'm not thinking of. Some really cool server thing or the ability to sell off the power of the PC? 

P.S i know someone will say Folding@home and dw, i have that set up on my pc now and i would also do it with any spare resources if i do get the second one.

Thanks.

i5 7600k @5.2ghz 1.39v i7 7700k @5.1ghz 1.39v / Strix z270h / 16gb Trident z RGB 3200mhz CL16 1.35v (2400mhz CL15 kit overclocked) / GTX 1070ti sli both with Arctic Accelero Xtreme iv coolers / EVGA 750w Gold PSU

Samsung cf791 3440x1440 100hz Quantum Dot

Haven't broken something with an OC yet... YET.

I made a thread like this here:

Maybe have a look at some of the answers since plenty replied

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

10 minutes ago, KendoSapion said:

I made a thread like this here:

Maybe have a look at some of the answers since plenty replied

thanks for the link, but yeahh i dont see much to convince me i need it unfortunately. Dont you wish you could just build PC's and sell them at ridiculous prices to people who don't know any better? damn morals.

i5 7600k @5.2ghz 1.39v i7 7700k @5.1ghz 1.39v / Strix z270h / 16gb Trident z RGB 3200mhz CL16 1.35v (2400mhz CL15 kit overclocked) / GTX 1070ti sli both with Arctic Accelero Xtreme iv coolers / EVGA 750w Gold PSU

5 hours ago, rfcokilljoy said:

thanks for the link, but yeahh i dont see much to convince me i need it unfortunately. Dont you wish you could just build PC's and sell them at ridiculous prices to people who don't know any better? damn morals.

You can use it to play games from Steam using the power of your main powerful PC wirelessly. If you make a cheap Micro ATX PC, you have essentially made another console. 

It can be a guest PC also, you can use it to run Linux or private tasks, stream consoles, Cryptocurrency mining, you may split one for work using an AMD CPU and one for gaming using an Intel CPU, you can use it to contribute to AI by running automatic calculations, you can simply use it in another room such as 1 in the study and one in your room. 

If you live in 2 locations it can be beneficial as you can leave one in each location, you may use it to install sketchy software to test before safely transferring to your main PC. There are plenty more applications you can use it for.

I usually just volunteer to help build a pc for a friend when the opportunity arises.  That alleviates the builder's itch somewhat.  But having spare parts is always nice too.

8 minutes ago, SupersonicSaint said:

If you live in 2 locations it can be beneficial as you can leave on in each location, you may use it to install sketchy software to test before safely transferring to your main PC. There are plenty more applications you can use it for.

Yeah, sometimes when a vm isn't enough I like my test environment to be on another host machine.  And if you're interested in networking, a second machine can have many other uses.

A have a second PC just for other family members and house guests. 

Don't want them using my main rig. :D 

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti

well those are some good idea's actually! especially the streaming and the test environment.

Thanks guys :)  This forum is always full of useful people ;)

5 hours ago, ZeouLs said:

Capture card and use for encoding while streaming

you don't need a capture card anymore for that, there is a plugin called NDI that works with OBS and uses your internet connection.

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

10 hours ago, wildthing said:

you don't need a capture card anymore for that, there is a plugin called NDI that works with OBS and uses your internet connection.

why waste your bandwth for that?

If your pc has any trouble or doesn’t post at all you can troubleshoot on a second one

With Great Power, Comes a Great Electricity Bill

Main

Setup: Intel core i5-8400 (OC'd), MSI Z-370-A Pro, Crucial Ballistix 8GB, Be Quiet! Pure Slim, Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB, TP-Link Wifi Adapter, ASRock RX580, Artic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste, Logitech G105, Logitech M310, Razer Sphex V2 (Mat), EVGA 500W 80+ Silver, 1TB WD Blue, 240gb Kingston Digital