Should I keep my current PC, Upgrade, or Buy new?

JCD69

I'm looking to buy a new PC or upgrade my current but I'm not really sure what to do at this point. My computer is quite old now and two ram slots went out on my motherboard as well as the storage is starting to get filled up and it just seems like time for an upgrade. I've had the same parts for like 6 or 7 years now (except the GTX 970) and I just think it's time to upgrade or buy new. I would like to keep my GTX 970 unless it's really considered that outdated but to me, It performs great for everything I'm playing. I'm not wanting to go water cooled or upgrade up to a GTX 1080 TI or anything but I do want to go to a newer processor and DDR4. Again I'm not sure if it's worth the upgrade or not but that's why I'm making this post.

My current PC: (Keep in mind RAM and HDD is old so I won't even list name)

CPU: Intel i5 4690k

CPU cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 EVO

Motherboard: MSI-z97 gaming 3 

RAM 16GB

SSD: PNY 240GB

HDD: 1TB Western digital

GPU: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0

Case: Cooler master masterbox lite 5

Power supply: Corsair CXM 750W

What would you suggest?

Thanks!

Just now, GoldenLag said:

how much do you have to spend?

Guess I should've put some sort of budget or amount my bad. I'm not wanting to spend like $2k and make this thing crazy I just want to get something that's newer and will last another 6-7 years like this PC. Of course, GPU will be swapped in the next few years though. I'd be wanting to spend like $1,000 to $1,500 at the most to get MOBO, CPU, DDR4, PSU, 1TB SSD, and 2TB-4TB HDD. Don't need windows or anything extra.

all you need is an SSD, and a new GPU. something like 1070ti and above. The CPU is still very good and there isnt anything that is truly worth the upgrade

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

all you need is an SSD, and a new GPU. something like 1070ti and above. The CPU is still very good and there isnt anything that is truly worth the upgrade

Really not much worth upgrading too cpu wise? I really want to get a new MOBO so I can get DDR4 and also my ram slots are dead, is the CPU compatible with MOBO's that support DDR4? I'm sorry I'm kind of incompetent when it comes to that. Think the GTX 970 is that outdated? I guess I have noticed a little low performance on ultra and more demanding games.

1 minute ago, JCD69 said:

Really not much worth upgrading too cpu wise? I really want to get a new MOBO so I can get DDR4 and also my ram slots are dead, is the CPU compatible with MOBO's that support DDR4? I'm sorry I'm kind of incompetent when it comes to that. Think the GTX 970 is that outdated? I guess I have noticed a little low performance on ultra and more demanding games.

no new mobo support ddr4 and the CPU you have. the CPU will manage for a few more years without too much notice. 

the gtx 970 is suffering a bit from the lack of Vram (3,5gb). it is still a 1060 6 GB in terms of performance, but newest titles are starting to eat up that Vram

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

no new mobo support ddr4 and the CPU you have. the CPU will manage for a few more years without too much notice. 

the gtx 970 is suffering a bit from the lack of Vram (3,5gb). it is still a 1060 6 GB in terms of performance, but newest titles are starting to eat up that Vram

So think I should wait a few years and just upgrade GPU for now? Or try to go to DDR4? Or just buy a new mobo and new DDR3?

Also how big of a difference is a newer MOBO that supports DDR4 and DDR4 ram?

5 minutes ago, JCD69 said:

why do you think you need DDR4? you seem to be determined on having DDR4

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Just now, syn2112 said:

why do you think you need DDR4? you seem to be determined on having DDR4

I guess I don't know, to be honest, I just want the newer stuff to future proof my system a little. Or does it really not matter? I guess I don't understand the difference between newer MOBO's DDR4 and DDR3.

So think I should wait a few years and just upgrade GPU for now? Or try to go to DDR4? Or just buy a new mobo and new DDR3?

to be honest with you, i suggest waiting 1 year before buying a new CPU and mobo :) there should be 7nm CPU's next year for AMD, so right now just upgrade the GPU and overclock your CPU, cuz that thing is still pretty good.

2 minutes ago, JCD69 said:

if the full 16 GB of your ram reqognised then there are few reasons to upgrade. 

id wait untill next year at least before upgrading the CPU.

I guess I don't know, to be honest, I just want the newer stuff to future proof my system a little. Or does it really not matter? I guess I don't understand the difference between newer MOBO's DDR4 and DDR3.

you can have the fastest RAM in the world, if your CPU can't keep up with it, then all that RAM speed is useless.

you see the RAM feeds the CPU data, but you can't force feed your CPU data that it can't handle, at some point, having faster RAM isn't gonna help performance at all.

what's your RAM speed?

1 minute ago, syn2112 said:

to be honest with you, i suggest waiting 1 year before buying a new CPU and mobo :) there should be 7nm CPU's next year for AMD, so right now just upgrade the GPU and overclock your CPU, cuz that thing is still pretty good.

So what exactly is the difference between DDR3 and DDR4? I thought they were starting to faze out DDR3? Also, would it be a good move to upgrade GPU, HDD, SSD, and get more DDR3. I think the DDR3 slots are out but it also could have been my old ass DDR3 ram.

Just now, syn2112 said:

you can have the fastest RAM in the world, if your CPU can't keep up with it, then all that RAM speed is useless.

you see the RAM feeds the CPU data, but you can't force feed your CPU data that it can't handle, at some point, having faster RAM isn't gonna help performance at all.

what's your RAM speed?

Sorry didn't see last reply, I see what RAM does now, I have very very old DDR3. I'm not even sure the speed or how to check. Would newer DDR3 make a big difference between older DDR3? I sort of figured RAM was RAM.

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

if the full 16 GB of your ram reqognised then there are few reasons to upgrade. 

id wait untill next year at least before upgrading the CPU.

Would it be a good move to upgrade GPU, HDD, SSD, and get more DDR3 until I upgrade CPU? I think the DDR3 slots are out but it also could have been my old ass DDR3 ram.

Just now, JCD69 said:

Would it be a good move to upgrade GPU, HDD, SSD, and get more DDR3 until I upgrade CPU? I think the DDR3 slots are out but it also could have been my old ass DDR3 ram.

i wouldnt spend extra cash on extra RAM if you can. 

if you want to move to a newer plattform, there are choices, but only the 8600k/8700k will be an upgrade in comparison to the CPU. 

can you test the ram and ramslots. ram rarely fails and that the ramslots fail is also very peculiar

16 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

i wouldnt spend extra cash on extra RAM if you can. 

if you want to move to a newer plattform, there are choices, but only the 8600k/8700k will be an upgrade in comparison to the CPU. 

can you test the ram and ramslots. ram rarely fails and that the ramslots fail is also very peculiar

You would or wouldn't spend extra on RAM?

I guess I don't care to move to a newer platform just figured it would help future proof and be better.

Basically a month ago my ram was causing blue screening constantly and then I took the RAM out of each slot and two sticks were causing the problem. They are identical sticks and they are extremely old. The other two sticks are fine but it's hard to say if it was the MOBO or RAM didn't really do a good job testing...

You would or wouldn't spend extra on RAM?

I guess I don't care to move to a newer platform just figured it would help future proof and be better.

Basically a month ago my ram was causing blue screening constantly and then I took the RAM out of each slot and two sticks were causing the problem. They are identical sticks and they are extremely old. The other two sticks are fine but it's hard to say if it was the MOBO or RAM didn't really do a good job testing...

i wouldnt spend extra money on your current plattform.

what type of future proof are you looking for?

future proof in terms of future upgradability without swapping many components or future proof in the sence of performance and not having to upgrade for a while.

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

i wouldnt spend extra money on your current plattform.

what type of future proof are you looking for?

future proof in terms of future upgradability without swapping many components or future proof in the sence of performance and not having to upgrade for a while.

Looking to upgrade so I don't have to upgrade for a while.

5 minutes ago, JCD69 said:

Looking to upgrade so I don't have to upgrade for a while.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  ($359.89 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler  ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming K6 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($163.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($144.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($98.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($429.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1267.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-29 03:40 EDT-0400

this right here will be good for a very long time. 

it is a tad bit expencive. i can suggest a less expencive upgrade if you want

Just now, GoldenLag said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  ($359.89 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler  ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming K6 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($163.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($144.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($98.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($429.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1267.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-29 03:40 EDT-0400

this right here will be good for a very long time. 

it is a tad bit expencive. i can suggest a less expencive upgrade if you want

So I'm a little confused do you suggest I upgrade GPU now and wait for CPU or build something like you're showing? I guess it comes down to is it worth it to upgrade now or do I wait to upgrade later. OR what do I upgrade now and wait to upgrade later? Also is the 1080 solid compared to the 1080 ti?

4 minutes ago, JCD69 said:

So I'm a little confused do you suggest I upgrade GPU now and wait for CPU or build something like you're showing? I guess it comes down to is it worth it to upgrade now or do I wait to upgrade later. OR what do I upgrade now and wait to upgrade later? Also is the 1080 solid compared to the 1080 ti?

Personally i would:

1. Upgrade the GPU and get an SSD
  2. Wait untill summer next year to upgrade CPU

Id get a 1080ti if you have the money.

An CPU upgrade atm is not worth the money, imo. Though you can do one, but new products next year will be worth the wait. 

Hopefully i cleared up some things

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Personally i would:

1. Upgrade the GPU and get an SSD
  2. Wait untill summer next year to upgrade CPU

Id get a 1080ti if you have the money.

An CPU upgrade atm is not worth the money, imo. Though you can do one, but new products next year will be worth the wait. 

Hopefully i cleared up some things

You cleared up a lot thank you. Out of curiosity why are specifically next year's products supposed to be so good as far as CPU's go? 

Also how long do you think the 1080ti will last or be the go to? I really want to drop money on a GPU but I don't want to drop $600 and then upgrade a few years later or something about the same price or cheaper comes out soon with better performance.

43 minutes ago, JCD69 said:

You cleared up a lot thank you. Out of curiosity why are specifically next year's products supposed to be so good as far as CPU's go? 

Also how long do you think the 1080ti will last or be the go to? I really want to drop money on a GPU but I don't want to drop $600 and then upgrade a few years later or something about the same price or cheaper comes out soon with better performance.

Next year 10nm and 7nm will be dropping. Late next year woth intel and 10nm and april AMD 7nm 

For the cost the 1080ti will be price:price comparable to next gen cards coming out. It will last 5-7 years based on lifespan of other flagship cards.

If you are only at 1080p thr 1080ti is pretty much overkill for most titles

13 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Next year 10nm and 7nm will be dropping. Late next year woth intel and 10nm and april AMD 7nm 

For the cost the 1080ti will be price:price comparable to next gen cards coming out. It will last 5-7 years based on lifespan of other flagship cards.

If you are only at 1080p thr 1080ti is pretty much overkill for most titles

Alright, and what exactly are 10nm and 7nm? I'm sorry I'm very uneducated in this.

Would it be worth it to wait and maybe buy a new RTX GPU when they come out?