My Ryzen Linux Adventure. (Kubuntu 18.04)

5 minutes ago, MedievalMatt said:

I think i noted before, but im using the iGPU, not a discrete card.  Since all i need is triple displays and im not doing anything more demanding than Steam in-home streaming.  it is more than sufficient.

I tried nomodeset, and this result in a successful boot, yes, but it was super low res, and only one of my three displays actually got signal.

The other two, AMD_IOMMU and AMDMODESET both yielded failed boots.  Black screens.

That is how it's supposed to be, it's a work around if you need it. X can later set your resolution and setup your other monitors. nomodeset is just to get it booted to let X take over after that.

Vega is fairly new and unpopular so it may not have the best support in the Linux world, you might search around for help with it.. it seems like it has some quirks and thats not really surprising. (I like them, I want to buy one btw. but ya there may be some bugs with it still)

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

2 hours ago, jde3 said:

That is how it's supposed to be, it's a work around if you need it. X can later set your resolution and setup your other monitors. nomodeset is just to get it booted to let X take over after that.

Vega is fairly new and unpopular so it may not have the best support in the Linux world, you might search around for help with it.. it seems like it has some quirks and thats not really surprising. (I like them, I want to buy one btw. but ya there may be some bugs with it still)

Yea, I went into this expecting Bugs and things like this to happen.  And I figured, while im at it, i may as well keep a thread going details what ive done.  What works and what doesnt.

The systems starts up for me about 80% of the time now, and a simple restart will get me going the other times.

Hopefully its a matter of waiting for new kernels/other support.

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

2 minutes ago, MedievalMatt said:

Yea, I went into this expecting Bugs and things like this to happen.  And I figured, while im at it, i may as well keep a thread going details what ive done.  What works and what doesnt.

The systems starts up for me about 80% of the time now, and a simple restart will get me going the other times.

Hopefully its a matter of waiting for new kernels/other support.

I'm intending to use one on FreeBSD so I got double the work. :P

18 hours ago, jde3 said:

I'm intending to use one on FreeBSD so I got double the work. :P

what i dont understand is why does is WORK 80% of the time.  and without changing anything, it just doesnt.  I also have issues with shtdown.  Again, like 80% of the time it works fine.  but inexplicably fails to shutdown (how the hell does that even happen).

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server

Systemd is notorious for that stuff. I wonder if it fails to shutdown, corrupts the log then fails to boot the bad log, clears it on next boot?

just a wild guess.. I'm not sure man, I'd love to help you but it seems I'd have to get pretty far up in there to figure out what it's doing. Try your distributions IRC channel and see if someone is willing to help you there. (be very patient)

21 hours ago, jde3 said:

Systemd is notorious for that stuff. I wonder if it fails to shutdown, corrupts the log then fails to boot the bad log, clears it on next boot?

just a wild guess.. I'm not sure man, I'd love to help you but it seems I'd have to get pretty far up in there to figure out what it's doing. Try your distributions IRC channel and see if someone is willing to help you there. (be very patient)

Unfortunately, the two dont seem related.  But if they coincided, that would make sense.  I might take a video of my experience and upload it for all to see.  That perhaps would be more helpful.  At this point its not bad enough for me to switch back to windows, so im thankful.

Linux is a million times better.

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server

On 5/9/2018 at 1:25 PM, MedievalMatt said:

Unfortunately, the two dont seem related.  But if they coincided, that would make sense.  I might take a video of my experience and upload it for all to see.  That perhaps would be more helpful.  At this point its not bad enough for me to switch back to windows, so im thankful.

Linux is a million times better.

As he said that cannot be a Mesa problem, those kind of issues are more like driver releated.

Mesa is more like an userspace thing.

I would suggest to try a cutting edge distro like an archlinux flavor (Manjaro, antergos) or just stick to fedora

I would recommend manjaro as it is not that hard to use, just remember you have to enable services manually...

You could also try in ubuntu adding the most cutting edge ppas for all drivers, kernels, etc

Sadly some new hardware devices can have compatibility issues on older kernels 

On 9/8/2018 at 5:04 PM, Lukyp said:

As he said that cannot be a Mesa problem, those kind of issues are more like driver releated.

Mesa is more like an userspace thing.

I would suggest to try a cutting edge distro like an archlinux flavor (Manjaro, antergos) or just stick to fedora

I would recommend manjaro as it is not that hard to use, just remember you have to enable services manually...

You could also try in ubuntu adding the most cutting edge ppas for all drivers, kernels, etc

Sadly some new hardware devices can have compatibility issues on older kernels 

My point was to highlight the inconsistency.

Im used to things just being binary, it works, or it doesnt.  This is like it works......sometimes.....

I also wouldnt consider 4.17 to be an "old" kernel.  from my reading it has full vega support. (well "full")  Its 100% a graphics driver issue, if i use a discrete card, problem solved.  but that isnt realy a solution.

You can tell everyone who bought a 2200g or 2400g and plans to use linux (they are already obviously on a budget) "hey, so you need a discrete GPU".  Sorta defeats the point of having frankly badass for what it is GPU power in your APU.

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server

2 hours ago, MedievalMatt said:

My point was to highlight the inconsistency.

Im used to things just being binary, it works, or it doesnt.  This is like it works......sometimes.....

I also wouldnt consider 4.17 to be an "old" kernel.  from my reading it has full vega support. (well "full")  Its 100% a graphics driver issue, if i use a discrete card, problem solved.  but that isnt realy a solution.

You can tell everyone who bought a 2200g or 2400g and plans to use linux (they are already obviously on a budget) "hey, so you need a discrete GPU".  Sorta defeats the point of having frankly badass for what it is GPU power in your APU.

BTW I've also got the same Mobo and is known (at least for me) to be pretty unstable...When ryzen first came out it had a lot of bugs, that could also be a BIOS issue, make a try and factory reset it

3 hours ago, Lukyp said:

BTW I've also got the same Mobo and is known (at least for me) to be pretty unstable...When ryzen first came out it had a lot of bugs, that could also be a BIOS issue, make a try and factory reset it

I did that recently when i got new RAM, had to clear the BIOS.  I also used my first Gen 1700 to flash the BIOS to the latest.  so as of August, it has the newest and theoretically best BIOS it can have.

It does seem to be BIOS related to some degree.  I wonder if that is something MSI needs to address.  Or if the Linux community will eventually overcome.

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server

On 10/9/2018 at 7:27 PM, MedievalMatt said:

I did that recently when i got new RAM, had to clear the BIOS.  I also used my first Gen 1700 to flash the BIOS to the latest.  so as of August, it has the newest and theoretically best BIOS it can have.

It does seem to be BIOS related to some degree.  I wonder if that is something MSI needs to address.  Or if the Linux community will eventually overcome.

I had to factory reset randomly removing the CMOS battery because the PC would not post one day, for no reason, I would suggest doing that again. Also to be totally sure use the cutting edge version of the kernel, like the latest 4.18 development version

21 hours ago, Lukyp said:

I had to factory reset randomly removing the CMOS battery because the PC would not post one day, for no reason, I would suggest doing that again. Also to be totally sure use the cutting edge version of the kernel, like the latest 4.18 development version

Fedora actually just updated to 4.18.5.  And since then ive had 2 boot failures, and about 15 successes.  Its also failed to shut down once.  so thats progress at least.  It seems like my issues are (at least mostly) due to Linux support.

Im actually finding the Dual PC setup better for another reason i hadnt considered... heat.... the Linux box is considerably less heat producing, so during my daily tasks, the room gets noticeably less hot.  In case anyone in the future comes across this.

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server

Just now, MedievalMatt said:

Fedora actually just updated to 4.18.5.  And since then ive had 2 boot failures, and about 15 successes.  Its also failed to shut down once.  so thats progress at least.  It seems like my issues are (at least mostly) due to Linux support.

Im actually finding the Dual PC setup better for another reason i hadnt considered... heat.... the Linux box is considerably less heat producing, so during my daily tasks, the room gets noticeably less hot.  In case anyone in the future comes across this.

Yea that is a Windows thing. No background cr*p on linux, on my XPS when I run linux the fans never spin

• 3 weeks later...

I pass a similar way with ACER Aspire A315-41G-R4FD, AMD Ryzen 3 2200U. Now it workd with Solus 3, https://getsol.us/2018/09/20/solus-3-iso-refresh-released/

17 minutes ago, Basil V. Prokudin said:

I pass a similar way with ACER Aspire A315-41G-R4FD, AMD Ryzen 3 2200U. Now it workd with Solus 3, https://getsol.us/2018/09/20/solus-3-iso-refresh-released/

That's nice. Maybe a kernel update came out?

Anyway I wouldn't consider SystemD to be the issue. There is definitely something wrong with ACPI/BIOS or the kernel, due to the iGPU for the 85% of success boot rate.

Have you also tried to contact developers upstream? or AMD? 
Just to make sure, try to use a SystemD-less distro. 

On 9/16/2018 at 10:37 PM, MedievalMatt said:

Just curious, you're running a triple monitor setup on a 2400G APU? How much ram did you allocate to the graphics

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

23 hours ago, mrbilky said:

Just curious, you're running a triple monitor setup on a 2400G APU? How much ram did you allocate to the graphics

The BIOS allows me to allocate up to 2GB.

I left it on auto.  and it seems to allocate somewhere between 1 and 1.5 GB on its own.

It shouldnt be an issue though since its primarily a productivity  machine and i dont do anything very GPU intensive.  Virtual box, some light Game development (2D openGL stuff, not making the next Doom) Book keeping software, thunderbird, a million and a half chrome tabs.

Im up to kernel 4.18.10 now on Fedora 28, and things are much better.  I still run into situation where it seems like i need to retrain my system on how to start properly.  just reset after reset will eventually get me booted.

There is a new BIOS from MSI.  and i am thinking of trying that.

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server

On 10/2/2018 at 5:16 AM, Lukyp said:

That's nice. Maybe a kernel update came out?

Anyway I wouldn't consider SystemD to be the issue. There is definitely something wrong with ACPI/BIOS or the kernel, due to the iGPU for the 85% of success boot rate.

Have you also tried to contact developers upstream? or AMD? 
Just to make sure, try to use a SystemD-less distro. 

I havent tried contacting anyone, aside from you fine folks.  I may know a considerable amount about Linux.  but not nearly enough to be much immediate help to resolve the issue.  Unless the community is far more accepting and helpful than even I realize at this point :)

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server

• 4 weeks later...

@MedievalMatt you kinda got me curios on your set up.....

just put together a system (win10 pro) for my son for gaming but it uses the

msi B450 with built in wifi and a ryzen 5 2600.. makes me wonder how it would run with linux.

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch

4 hours ago, cretsiah said:

@MedievalMatt you kinda got me curios on your set up.....

just put together a system (win10 pro) for my son for gaming but it uses the

msi B450 with built in wifi and a ryzen 5 2600.. makes me wonder how it would run with linux.

As far as i know the non-APU variants of Ryzen work perfectly.  My issue is specific to the 2200G and 2400G at this point.  The Kernel has a heart attack initializing the GPU for some reason.  but only sometimes.  90% of the time it works every time.  Its gotten MUCH better since i started this thread, but i still have to do what seems like training my linux box to start if its been off for a while.

After getting Fedora and using it for a bit, thats what I would recommend.  I have the Dual system setup more for power consumption and laziness than anything else.  I hated having to restart into Windows, and then having my gaming windows install cluttered with all the bullshit i need for using it for other things while i game.  Way easier to just have a second computer  lol.

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server

32 minutes ago, MedievalMatt said:

I hated having to restart into Windows, and then having my gaming windows install cluttered with all the bullshit i need for using it for other things while i game.  Way easier to just have a second computer  lol.

lol...

just wondering if you also tried some systemd-less distro's ( as per @Lukyp suggested) 

like Devuan, MX Linux or artix (might need some exp for that one)

but it is good you have found some satisfaction with fedora.

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch

23 hours ago, cretsiah said:

lol...

just wondering if you also tried some systemd-less distro's ( as per @Lukyp suggested) 

like Devuan, MX Linux or artix (might need some exp for that one)

but it is good you have found some satisfaction with fedora.

Havent tried any of those.  But if they are using Kernel 4.18 or later you should have excellent Ryzen compatibility.

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server